Friday, June 9, 2017

Thoughts on cemetery etiquette and dog walking

Yes, I am going there and going to write about cemetery etiquette because unfortunately, common courtesy isn't so common! We all know to be respectful, not leave trash/cigarette butts behind, not vandalize, not damage headstones (those things are bloody expensive!) and to please watch where we walk because you may not notice but you can possibly walk on someone's headstone. I often take pictures of cemeteries because I personally think they are beautiful and want to share some of that beauty. Perhaps to some, that very act can be considered an act of disrespect?

A most of you read, I recently adopted a puppy! She is a grey and white chihuahua and we named her Storm. She is now 3 months old. I also recently taught her to walk on a leash and have been out with her every night! In fact, this evening, I took her to my local cemetery! While I was walking with her, I thought whether or not I was doing would be appropriate. After all, I am the type of person that scoffs at inappropriate behavior, especially in cemeteries and I began to question whether or not I was being respectful myself. Could walking my dog in the cemetery be considered disrespectful? As a result, I decided to continue with my stroll but made sure stay on the main road and not venture on the grass. This way, there would be no chance that my dog would do her business on someone's tombstone. For the record, I purchased this little capsule that you can tie on the least. Inside the capsule, there's spare bags to pick up your dogs "presents." I did not allow Storm to run free. It is a cemetery, not my back yard or dog park! In addition, if I did encounter a funeral procession (which is highly likely late in the evening but you never know!) I would have turned around or went down a different path. My pup loves meeting people and can get excited. She doesn't bark but would try to chase after them. I discourage her from jumping on other people, especially strangers but it is hard to control such behavior surrounded by a large group of people.It is better to not take any chances. Not everyone is a dog lover and while I personally would love to be greeted by a cute puppy when I am mourning the death of a loved one, not everyone is like me!


 Turns out, there was a news broadcast about people walking dogs in cemeteries and acting inappropriately!


 I like to think the majority of us goths know better than some of these people! 

Considering I mentioned my dog, and cemeteries, I took some pictures while I was out. Enjoy!

P.S. its hard to get photos while walking with a Puppy on a leash but meh...I just want to show off the view and my dog!








Come on! Let's go

10 comments:

  1. I think your dog-walking behaviour is entirely appropriate and respectful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra! I think its the Canadian in me who feels the need to be ever so nice and polite!

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't walk a dog in a cemetery. It's asking for trouble. What if it pisses on a grave stone? You may understand decorum, but your puppy does not. Most people would probably assume the worst (I would)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular cemetery has main roads that are quite distant from the stones. It may not be apparent in the photos I posted but I did stay on the main road and kept her on a short leash. There is no chance for her to do her business on the grass or any where near any gravestones. As someone who dresses Goth, I am used to people assuming the worst. They can think all they want, I just make sure that I behave (as well as my kid and dog) appropriately.

      Delete
  3. I think you're being very respectful and don't see any problem with walking your dog through the cemetery like that.

    Around here (in Sweden) it's not uncommon to walk your dogs, bike or just hang out in the cemeteries. A lot of the times they're even constructed for doing just so. But I do understand that this differs from culture to culture.

    In my town we even have a tiny cemetery from when the town got infected with cholera back in 1700-something, it is now mainly used as a dog park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit that cemetery in your town, you're very lucky,

      Delete
    2. It's quite lovely but extremely small. On the other hand, there are no real dog parks in nearby (which truly sucks!) and it's the only decent place to let the dogs run free.

      Delete
  4. Those 2 idiots actually had the balls to hang up a hammock over some graves. What the fuck?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the UK there are many places where old cemeteries that have been converted into public area for people and this include allowing people to walk their dogs. As long as the dog is kept on a leash and you clean the dog mess up people are easy going about it, often there are signs telling people about it expected behaviour. I know generally people are more than happy to use ancient cemeteries as public spaces, since the local council take better care of the areas often closed by a certain times.Glasgow Necroplis and Bristol's Arnos Vale What really annoys me is when I see people's rubbish and even needles where people are injecting themselves , which is safety hazard as well. Maybe people's perspective varies dependant on region or demographic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sylvie, check out Congressional Cemetery in Washington, D.C. I just taught a summer course on cemeteries and that was one of the featured ones. Not only do they have a K9 Club/ dog park in the cemetery (it actually saved the cemetery and brings in a great deal of money) but they have movie night, zombie yoga... you name it. They're one of the most liberal cemeteries that I know of. Historic, beautiful, and frequented by so many which helps them pay for maintenance costs.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...