Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Vampire's day soirée

Like last year, I signed up to participate in the Vampire's day soirée, hosted by Holly's Horror Land.  This year, I am going to write about a fictional character from Nancy Kilpatrick's latest novel, Revenge Of The Vampir King.

In all honesty, I really do like the novel. I was always a fan of Nancy's work. Yes, she gave me an advance copy of her book in exchange for a review, which I have previously done here. I write about the things that inspire me and what I like.  I really do like her book and it inspired me so I am going to write about it. So there!

I am going to specifically write about one of my favourite characters in the novel. Despite her being a vampir, I relate to her. She is the Vampire Mom called Belladonna.

Belladonna was Sapien and turned by her lover after she gave birth to his child, Moarte (main character of the novel) I don't relate to her because she is a mother.I relate to the strong personality behind the character. I don't want to give too much away and all so I am going to try to be vague about the plot as best as I can so I think a character description would suffice.

The reason Belladona is one of my favourite characters is because she is the voice of reason whenever Moarte has a tendency to let his emotions (especially his anger) get the better of him. Moarte has a tendency to react before he thinks about the situation logically and Belladonna is one of the very few people who can reason with him whenever he is in that state. She is like how Spock is to Kirk (yes, I went there and made a Star Trek reference). On the other hand, I don't get the impression that Belladonna doesn't have any emotions (just like I think Spock has emotions but he represses them in favor of logic) and I do feel that Belladonna is the same way. She can remove herself from a situation, remove her feelings and make a logical choice. As contradictory as it may sound, she does use her feelings, her intuition to help guide her as well.  She is very understanding towards others and is compassionate. While Moarte is king and has a great mind with military maneuvers, Belladonna is the heart and mind behind the throne.I think the reason why he was able to successfully be the king is really because there is a strong advisor there to help guide him.

Nancy Kilpatrick wrote some wonderful characters. All of which you may despise at first but grow to love later. To me, this is what makes a talented writer. Not only can she spin a captivating story, but they are made to feel real, there is life behind characters, even the undead ones!

Lastly, I would like to thank Holly for hosting this wonderful event. 


6 comments:

  1. I like the sound of Belladona, logic and emotion can got together hand and hand.

    Happy Vampire Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the way you skilfully inserted a Star Trek reference into a vampire book review! :D

    Happy Vampire's Day!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting read I used to read a lot of Vampire literature in sort of way. I used to read the in dark series by Christine Feehan, Good series but could be a bit repetitive after reading for several books.I might have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember your review of this book. And now you intrigue me again with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really fun read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Spock comparison sold me! Thanks for attending the Soiree again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...