Saturday, January 7, 2017

Goals for 2017

By now, you read my favourite outfits of 2016, you read my 2016 year in review post, and if you haven't seen already, I have a wish list for 2017 but now it is time to set some goals, something that I never really focused on in the past. Sure, I made goals for myself but meh, they fell through the second week of January. This year is different. I put a lot of thought in these goals!

I wrote this post many weeks ago ( I think before Christmas)  but I decided it was fitting to publish and only start making preparations this month, in January. A lot of goals I did start right away while some of these things I plan on doing over the summer, Jay was a major influence behind some of these.

Like most people, 2016 sucked balls, especially when my beloved cat, Pippin died a week before Christmas. I am determined that this year will be MY year and I don't plan on coasting by, I plan on force-chocking the year into submission!







(1) Get a less expensive place. I have listed the pros and cons with staying at our current apartment and in this case, we are moving. The idea to move was in the back of our minds in 2016 but we decided to stay another year. The rent is very high in this area and we want to save money. Philip will still go to the same school but there are cheaper apartments elsewhere in the same borough just not in such a nice neighborhood and further away from the local shops. That's fine. We have two cars and I like to walk long distances when it is mild out.



(2) Save Money. By paying such high rent, it is very hard for us to save money every month. Our current apartment was great when Philip was small but now he is bigger, we can downgrade a little. In fact, I checked some cheaper apartments (bigger buildings, more units, vs the triplex we live in) and we would be saving between $375 to $500 per month depending on the place.  I am tired of paying a mortgage for an apartment and much rather invest that money elsewhere. In addition, I am an impulse buyer who often buys things to feel better. I am going to stop this.



(3) Continue to invest in my health. I did an excellent job with this last year, why not keep it up? I really don't think I can go back into my old eating patterns, I much happier and healthy now!



(4) Get some mad DIY skills - My goal is to lose another 20 pounds to be exact. My clothes are already starting to feel loose on me. My mom volunteered to "take in" some of my clothes but I am also saving money towards buying more items. Seriously, I lost all that weight, I should indulge in some new things! Due to my previous goal of saving money, I plan on thrifting items and DIY some clothes too. I can do a lot with the very limited sewing skills I have but my mom used to be seamstress and volunteered to help me if I need it.


In addition, due to moving into a new place, I am really inspired by Voltaire's Gothic homemaking videos, Bane's blog GIY (Goth It Yourself) Aji from Café Lastrange and sometimes Sara from Tales From A Geordie Goth because these bloggers do a lot of DIY within their homes.  I am going to not only come out with my own ideas but they will obviously be a huge influence on me and my go-to people for inspiration. Be forewarned, I am going to be stalking your blogs and Voltaire's videos this year! Muwahaha!



(5) Give myself some credit for my accomplishments - I started this in December and I plan to continue. Far too many times I have made sacrifices and did things for others, willingly but never spoke up about it. I guess I was hoping people would notice. There is nothing wrong with giving yourself some credit for things as long as you don't make yourself to be martyr over it. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging your hard work and giving yourself a pat on the back every once in a while. This is especially true at work. I often work behind the scenes and often things would go unnoticed. This is a source of frustration for me but my managers are no mind readers so I politely speak up about how I handled certain issues. I was always afraid of doing this because I didn't want to come off as an ass or a suck up but the results outweigh those fears as long as it is done gracefully.



(6) Continue being the best Mom I can be and continue to give myself some down time - Some of you read my "Mom posts" and have an idea what my parenting style is like. I am a nurturer, I push my son, Philip to be the best version of himself he could possibly be, and I don't take a lot of shit from my kid either. We have rules, I don't tolerate nonsense but know when to back off. Being a parent to a strong willed child is very exhausting and I go swimming not only to exercise but to do something productive two evenings a week without my kid around. Sure I bring him to the pool with me during the child friendly swim times when I can but I have no qualms finding time for myself to regroup and relax. Being a parent is the hardest job I could ever have, sometimes you need a break. In fact, even Jay started doing this last year and he seems to be grateful for it too. It is also nice to have an adult conversation that isn't about kids or with kids around!


(7)Adopt a dog -  Despite my frugality, I plan on adopting a dog once I move and get settled. I may see if I can get one beforehand but I am not sure if that would be a possibility. I don't think the landlady allows dogs where we currently live. This is one of the many reasons why I want to move. I wanted a dog for a long time and now that Pippin has passed on, I am ready for it. At this time, I don't want another cat because I feel the animal would be taking Pippin's place but eventually, I may change my mind. Philip loves animals and wants a dog too. Our cat Merry is fine around them. I had family members come for a visit with their animals as a trial run and we were successful! The only children I want are going to be the furry kind. For some reasons, that just sounds wrong, really-really wrong!



(8) Finally get something published the traditional route. A friend of mine who is a writer once commented on the publishing industry not being as lucrative as it used to be. With the popularity of e-publishing anyone and everyone can be a "published writer" and as a result, the market has become saturated. I am not really one to comment too much on this since I too can fit into that category with this blog but knowing this discouraged me from writing. I decided that I still plan on writing something and getting it published by an actual publisher vs to posting something online. If it happens, great, I would become a published author, if it doesn't, at least I know that I did something creative this year instead of just talking about it.


(9) Invest in better quality makeup - I needed foundation. I broke my compact a couple of weeks ago and the palest foundation I could find was MAC. I am in love with MAC now! I use a quarter of foundation as I used to, its easy to apply and strangely enough, it does wonder for my skin. While I do plan on being frugal, sometimes buying something of a higher quality lasts longer and has better results.


(10) Be more sustainable - Last year, I wrote about this skirt I got off of e-bay and thought it was such a steal until I realized it was very cheaply made and didn't really look like it did in the picture. Not only by shopping local helps local businesses but if I am going to a Goth store, I am also helping my local Goth scene. In addition, due to my saving money goals, I also plan on thrift shopping more. Any items that I don't want to modify or no longer wear, will be donated. By shopping local, I am also reducing my carbon footprint by not having to rely on delivered goods. Being sustainable has always been important to me and I want to continue this trend next year.


(11) De-clutter - Another goal and thanks to moving, I am going to be getting rid of items that I have easily tossed over my shoulder. I currently live in large place, holding onto things is easy. It is also amazing the amount of crap I have accumulated!  I am also going to donate items that are salvageable, since I also plan on being sustainable too, after all, why fill up a landfill with stuff that someone else can use?.This year, I am going to have the motto "If I have not used it in 6 months, it gets tossed" obviously, my Pop figures and books get disqualified from this!


I like to think this is a reasonable list for myself. These goals are going to easily tie in with some blogging goals as well, therefore, expect some moving rants along with some DIY posts this summer, more weight loss/ health stories, more makeup reviews/photos, outfit posts, and you get to read about me making fun of myself when I begin getting rid of some useless items (we and by we, I mean Jay tends to latch onto the weirdest things!) and I will obviously continue to write about my family. Who knows, maybe I will be a published author next year too?

3 comments:

  1. They sound like some great goals, I'm getting excited just thinking about your potential DIY posts. Thanks for mentioning me as source of inspiration I would never of thought that would of been mentioned about my blog.

    One thing, I was interested in investing in good makeup. It always worth doing it that I always spend money on my foundation and liquid eyeliner. I think you can cheap out on your eye shadows by applying with a damp brush. It still doesn't mean you should over look some of the drug store brands. I use Mac liquid eyeliner, which is love hate affair after my current runs out I'm going to look for something different and maybe cheaper. Personally, I think Mac is over priced and not great at all but if works for you. Then why not. I swear by essence and collection at the moment both are cheap and don't test on animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super goals. Don't let anyone talk you out of trying to get published the trad route - I've not had a huge amount published myself, but I can tell you it's an amazing feeling even at a small level.

    Apologies for being a little bit of a pedant, but I've had to stop using MAC since they decided to test on animals to meet Chinese market 'standards'. You might take a look at Illamasqua in the UK - their products are awesome (especially their eyeliner in Havoc) and while expensive they last and they often have brilliant sales. I'm not sure how much import would be mind you.

    And as a recent dog adopted, they're hard work at first when you get to know each other but oh so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great goals and I wish you the best of luck in achieving them! I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...