Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Damn you, Steven Spielberg!

Every time my child enters a different phase in his development, I always exclaim that his current phase is my favorite one!

Having a six year old can be a lot of fun and obviously, I am going to state that this is my favorite phase so far.

You see, he says the cutest, funniest, most fucked up things!  Here is an example:

Yesterday, I had to take a sick day because he had the flu.  I also felt very run-down and nauseous myself and I thought it was best to stay home with him.

Having a sick kid can be sweet in many ways. He wants lots of cuddles and is usually very quiet! Yesterday, was spent on the living room couch watching movies. I noticed that the movie "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial" came out on Netflix. I remember loving that movie as a child and wanted Philip to take part in some of my childhood nostalgia, therefore, I convinced him to watch the movie with me. The movie begins and I am getting all giddy. I can't wait to introduce my son to something I enjoyed as a kid. Then Philip spoke: "Oh good. It's not a black and white movie. I thought movies that came out when you were a kid wouldn't have any color"

How do you respond to something like that? I decided to laugh and explain that I do love to watch old movies but when I was a kid, movies came out in color. I may be old but I am not THAT old!

Philip's drawing of E.T

Philip got into the movie. I am not surprised. He loves Doctor Who and Star Wars. He related to the protagonist, Elliott. In fact, he hung onto his every word and learned a new insult (thank you for that  Mr. Spielberg) You see, in the movie, Elliott called his older brother "penis breath" and Philip thought that was the best insult ever! Alright, I admit, I have dropped a few swear words in front of my kid and probably said much worse. Besides, I am the one who allowed him to watch the movie! Experience has taught me to simply ignore any bad language the kid repeats. If I give a reaction, it only encourages him to keep saying it.

Fast forward to bath time. Considering we watched the movie in the morning, I thought the insult would be long, forgotten by then. We were in the next room and we hear him playing in his bath. We couldn't quite make out what he was saying but we thought he sounded sweet and cute. On the other hand, the words were were able to make out very clearly were (you guessed it) "You penis breath!"



13 comments:

  1. Did Elliott really say that? :D It's been a while since I saw E.T., I guess...
    Regardless, it's kind of funny and cute when kids swear...Of course it's wrong, but I can't help but smirk whenever my niece drops a swearword...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, its hilarious when little kids swear. I have to turn my head so he doesn't see me laugh.

      Delete
  2. My newphew went through phase saying I was stinky and still wearing dirtynappies on my head with the blessing of brother. Lol I love kids insults there so funny ad mid child years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, seriously! Haha! Dirty nappies on the head...priceless!

      Delete
  3. It's funny we just read my oldest (12) text message's to her friends the language they used! Instead of being mortified my wife and I kind of chuckled. Only because the Movies we watched as kids defiantly had worse language than we remembered as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent point. Come to think about it, that is so true!

      Delete
  4. Hope you both soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Appy. We both feel much better. It was a 24 hour thing.

      Delete
  5. Kids insults can be so weird. In Norwegian there is a popular insult that goes something like "Nah nah nah, you wear underwear" (it rhymes). I have no idea why that is an insult, but the kids think so, and it's been around for decades.

    It's so cool that your kid likes to watch the old movies and series with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I don't know what it is with kids and underwear. Is it bad that it makes me laugh too?

      Delete
  6. Gotta love it, kids hear (and remember) EVERYTHING! Stuart started repeating swear words at around three. First, I told all the grandparents NOT to have a cow if he said them in their presence, just tell him not to say them. Then I told him that no one should use swear words because they aren't nice, but no one could tell grownups NOT to say them. I let him know that until he was a grownup, too, he was not allowed to use them. I then said that if he used them I would spank him, and if I used them he could spank ME. He thought that was great, and took me up on it! He was around 14 before he actually started swearing in my presence, but then only when he was REALLY upset, and he usually apologized afterwards. I could live with that. :-)

    I remember that line in the movie, it was really hilarious! And technically it's not a swear word, it's all in the context, so that would be a little more difficult to explain why he shouldn't say it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...