Thursday, December 29, 2016

Weight loss update: 20 pounds gone and let's talk about eating disorders, shall we?

Before I begin this post, I would like to remind some readers that I do eat 3 healthy meals a day. I am active and happy. I am NOT underweight. In fact, according to my doctor, I still have some weight to lose before I reach the ideal weight for my age and height. My goal is to find a nice medium that if I should gain some pounds, I would still be in the right range but not enough where I would look like a bag of bones. No, I am not discussing my weight or what range I should be in here.

Some people have shown concern over the fact that I lost a significant amount of weight and are fearful I may have or could potentially develop an eating disorder. While I really do appreciate the concern, I would like to very kindly point out that I am a far cry from having anorexia or bulimia. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I consulted these "pro-ana" (pro-anorexia) websites out of curiosity. I also went on these sites because I allowed some people to get into my head. I am glad I consulted these sites because it allowed me to see the thought process behind the disorders and it was very depressing. I also read about some of these "diets" (a better word would be starvation or torture) these people put themselves through.

I do realize that usually when someone, especially a woman who appears to be really thin or who is  not REALLY overweight but eats healthy and doesn't over indulge on junk, the first assumption is that they have an eating disorder. Unfortunately, in many cases, the assumptions are correct. Judging from these websites, I am sure there is a large amount of women who suffer from this disease and that is truly very sad but I am NOT one of them! I love being me! I could never do something like that to myself. In fact, the main reason why I started eating better was because I wanted to set a better example to my kid and be there for him until I am a little old granny causing havoc in a nursing home! Trust me, the people closest to me would drag me kicking and screaming to a hospital if they were worried about me harming myself!  I don't like to tell people that I am on a diet because in reality, I am simply eating better and making healthier food choices. That means, less restaurants, especially fast food, less junk food, and I have replaced those items with healthier food choices. That means more fruits, vegetables, grains, and more home cooked meals.

I figured most of you are planning your health, fitness and/or weight loss goals for the New Year and I sincerely wish you all the best of luck. I hope my success will be some motivation for you! I have managed to keep off 20 pounds and while I am still losing weight, it is at a much slower pace (0.5 pounds per week instead of the 1or 2 a week, which is perfectly normal) and I am fine with this because I am doing this the HEALTHY way. No fad diets, no purging or starvation for me!

Sorry about the poor quality photos as there is not much light in here but meh... I am in workout clothes! Speaking of workout clothes, those shorts were tight in the beginning but not anymore!  In fact, I need smaller ones! Yippeeee!!!!! So folks, if this chocoholic can do it, so can you!


Taken July 2016
Taken Dec29 2016






18 comments:

  1. Sylvie, you are doing great. Anyone who regularly reads your blog would see that you've been losing weight in a steady and sensible way. The way you're meant to do it.

    I've figured out that in order to maximise my wardrobe with my self imposed clothes buying ban for 2017 I could do with losing between 5-7 pounds. It doesn't sound much, but it's that stubborn last few chocolate pounds! I'll be writing about my goals / plans soon.

    Have a super new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hear you, those stubborn last few pounds are a pain in the ass!

      Delete
  2. You look fantastic congratulation on weight loss. You look like you a simular body shape to since we're the same height, .it shows how excerise healthy eating and a healthy restricted caliers diet can do.I find even at 10 stone I looked really slim then again that's my natural body type of a slim waist upper torso and big bottom lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from old photos of me at my ideal weight, I seem to have a nice hour glass figure and this is what is motivating me to get bet there! Besides, I like big bottoms, more cushion that way, especially if you are clumsy like me!

      Delete
  3. You look healthy and fit. Take care! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie - you lost 20 pounds over 6 months - that is a very healthy rate! You look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! What is your secret to stop eating chocolate though? I couldn't do that, haha!

    People always assume I have a eatingdisorder because they think I'm too thin and they see me eat small portions. I always feel so sad when they say things like that. I actually think I'm a normalsized person and also my BMI says I am :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I think some people maybe insecure with their own issues and they project it on others. I also think some people are well-meaning because unfortunately, in many cases, a lot of women and young girls have an eating disorder. It is very sad. So when they see someone like us who eat small portions, they automatically assume the worst. It is so annoying but as long as your BMI tell you that you are "normal" that is all that matters.

      Delete
  6. As someone who worked in a psychiatric clinic with focus on eating disorders, I would have not dreamedthat you might have one! YOu have a very healthy view on life and lose weight slowly and steadily to become more healthy. You have come a great way and will certainly go even further! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, THANK YOU. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your weight loss! It would never cross my mind that you might have an eating disorder. You're not doing anything extreme, like not eating at all or exercising too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uhm...Seriously, why would anyone think you had an eating disorder? I know people read a lot of bs on the internet these days and it's cool to self - diagnose yourself with made - up illnesses, but you look absolutely healthy and happy. You obviously lost a lot of weight, but you didn't do it so suddenly, so...why? Anyway, you look awesome and I'm sure you'll reach your weigh/body goals soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is because some people remember me when I had to gain a little weight for health reasons so they automatically assumed that I am not ultra overweight, therefore, I don't need to lose weight and must have a disorder. I get it. I am not huge but doesn't mean that I am not a little overweight

      Delete
    2. Uhum, yeah, I get it. They have a certain image of you in their head and it doesn't keep up with the actual you...

      Delete
  9. You look healthy and happy :) Wishing you a great new year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...