Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Good-bye Carrie Fisher

"Please stop debating about whether or not I aged well. Unfortunately, it hurts all three of my feelings. My body hasn't aged as well as I have. Blow us."- Carrie Fisher, Twitter

I know we all heard by now that our beloved, Princess Leia died. She is one with The Force now.
I am sure that we all can agree that this year has been filled with death and we all lost one or more of our favourite idols. For me, losing Alan Rickman, David Bowie, Lemmy, Leonard Cohen, my cat Pippin and now Carrie Fisher was difficult.

Some people would find it weird that the death of someone we never met could affect us but it does. Bowie, Lemmy and Cohen will never write another song. We will never see Alan Rickman in a new movie. These are people some of us grew up with and their art not only inspired us, their art remained by our sides during the significant moments of our lives.

Carrie Fisher's passing hit hard. I lost my princess. I remember watching Star Wars when I was younger (although I only really got into the movies much, much later) and I admired her. She was not like the other princesses (ironically enough, she is now a Disney princess!). She was smart, strong, witty, and knew how to defend herself. Some may argue over the whole slave Leia thing but I never looked at it in a negative way. She was a slave, obviously Jabba was a perv who put her in those clothes! It is what she did with those chains that enslaved her that impressed me and made me admire her! Yes, she was saved from her captors but she also risked her life to save the one she loved too.


As an adult, when "The Force Awakens" came out last year, I watched some of her interviews. I recall laughing at her snide remarks and appreciated the truth behind them. I admired her bravery and even felt like her personality melded nicely into Leia. I love how real she was in those interviews and thought how rare that is when it comes to celebrities.

"Tell them that a giant slug captured me and forced me to wear that stupid outfit, and then I killed him because I didn't like it. And then I took it off. Backstage." via the Wall Street Journal

For me personally, Carrie Fisher not only portrayed one of my favourite fictional characters in one of my most beloved fandoms, she was someone I looked up to. She inspired me to be brave and to embrace the person, the woman I am today.  If she had lived a long life, to a ripe old age, perhaps I would have understood. The fact that she still had some more years of life ahead of her to shine some light on us is truly a loss.

May the force be with you

4 comments:

  1. Plus her writing was amazing - "Postcards from the Edge" is a remarkable read. I think it is pathetic that people focused on how well she aged. We are so shallow - especially when it comes to women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you 100% I think this is especially true when it comes to Carrie Fisher because it seems to me that everyone remembers slave Leia and are too dumb to realize that these movies came out years ago. Unfortunately, Carrie Fisher is no longer a 19 year old girl! I think she looks wonderful either way. Young or old. Its just sad that people don't have any tact or class and can say such horrible things.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand your feelings. I STILL miss Michael Jackson after all these years.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...