Thursday, November 24, 2016

My adopted bat daughter, Mavis

This is a funny story on how my son, Philip tried to get out of trouble. Our winter season has officially begun here and we have snow and ice. Every child I have spoken to this week expressed how excited they were to play in the snow!  I assume there are patches of ice in the school yard because it was brought to my attention yesterday that Philip was told not once but twice to not play on them. You see, even after he was told not to play on the ice, my rebel of a son decided to go ahead and do it again! Although I spoke to Philip about this behavior, I felt like he was going to rebel and try to do it again ,therefore, before dropping him off at school that morning, I made sure to reiterate the importance of  (a) listening to the monitor (b) not playing on the ice. Secretly, I am happy he is becoming a rebel like myself and my husband but it can be a pain in the ass!

What happened next made me laugh: Philip owns several stuffed bats. One in particular is more of a cartoony bat that I purchased for him around Halloween time. He felt like the bat had more feminine features and decided to call her Mavis after the character from the movie, Hotel Transylvania.

Everyone say hello to Mavis!


He told me the reason why he went on the ice the second time around was because Mavis bit him for getting her into trouble and she flew away before he could retaliate. In fact, she flew back onto the ice. Philip, being afraid for her safety, naturally had to chase after her!

I decided to go on with it. I asked him if this was true. He replied with a sly smile. "oh, yes, Mommy, it's true"

I am very proud of my response "Oh really. Well, first of all, Mavis, we don't bite people. You do it again and you are going for a time out on top of the fridge and second of all, we don't play on the ice. If you do it again, you will be spending the weekend on top of the fridge for a time-out. Do I make myself clear?" I even waved my finger at the bat then proceeded to make it nod in agreement.

I then look at Philip and told him: "she will listen to me because I am a bat mom!" Incidentally, I would like to thank my online friend, Shaena for the term, Bat Mom.

Philip  proceeded to tell me that he is a "bat brother" to Mavis and I agreed but added "you are also the big brother so you should know better. You should be watching out for your little sister!"

That is what you get for lying to me, kid. In fact, I must admit, I am pretty darned impressed that I was able to think up all of this after having one only cup of coffee this morning! Go me!

You know what else impressed me? I am no longer dying my hair. My roots are growing in nicely to this really nice blondish/reddish color. The surprise is that after not only  having a strong willed kid  but also one with a strong character, I don't have any grey hair yet! I thought I would have loads of them by now!

Whatever happened to the age old excuse about the dog eating your homework?

6 comments:

  1. Mavis and Philip, Bat Siblings. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Mavis is no good. Next thing you know, she'll have Philip smoking in the boys restroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Mavis the bat your kids weird as my bathroom sign states it merely a side effect of being awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I laughed so hard when imagines him slyly saying "oh, yes, Mommy, it's true" XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, maybe with his creative excuses he could become some great writer :-D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...