Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Halloween 2016

Being a parent on Halloween can be exhausting. Especially when you work and Halloween falls on a weekday. Like every year, my kid wakes me up at the ass crack of dawn and is all excited. It was about 5am where he started asking to wear his costume. I admire his guts because it takes a special person to ask me for anything in the morning, especially when I have not had my coffee yet but I love him and he is a special kind of person so all is good.

My son surprised me this year too. He told me that Halloween was supposed to be scary and he refuses to wear some "boring, cheesy costume."  He chose to be Death. I am a firm believer in letting children choose for themselves and I never tried to influence my opinions on him in any way. When he originally wanted to be a Storm Trooper, I supported him. When he changed his mind, I supported that decision as well. The fact that he chose to be Death and to declare himself to be Goth right after, totally made me beam with pride.








He reminds me of that scene stonehenge from the movie, This Is Spinal Tap!

Trick or treating was fun. There is a lot of kids in my area and we even had fire trucks go up and down the streets (they even had their flashing lights on) for safety. I thought that was cool.

Like every year when Halloween falls on a workday, I play beat the clock. I made arrangements to get out an hour early and am glad I did. We went to Mcdonald's for supper (yuck) as a special treat for Philip and the only part of the meal I enjoyed was my coffee. In fact, the coffee helped me because I had to sit with other parents. They were nice but if ever I want to be reminded on just how much I don't fit in, I just need to sit with people, especially other parents.

 It was a good Halloween, totally worth the horrible fast food and the boring small talk. One day, when he is too old for trick or treating, I am not going to look back at the how tired I was. I will look back at all the good memories I have from when he was my little boy and how we went Trick or Treating together. I hope one day he can have the same fond childhood memories I have whenever I think of my dad taking me Trick or Treating as a kid.

Happy Halloween everyone! Yes, I know it is the first week of November but screw you. Halloween is every day in my books and to those posting Christimas crap on Facebook can go suck it. This goes out to my cousin and niece. Its Halloween week god dammit!

15 comments:

  1. Ha Ha Ha, I love it Halloween is for everyday of the week. I'm kinda having a late Halloween celebration a event when I post about you'll see what I mean. I'm all stocked om Halloween decor all ready to go on display for the next 365 day a week once I'm probably organised for the new house. Ok, I'm not a kiddy person at all but I do love the ones who have character or are plain quirky. I love reading about you lil' kid this really made me laugh he chose to be death, the kids got a good sense of humour. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah I love his sense of humour! I too shop around this time of the year for every day household décor

      Delete
  2. Looking adorable in that dress Sylvie! And that little monster is a cutie too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. It is one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. Did he make off with loads of candy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh - he is cute as death. That's the cutest little death I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "if ever I want to be reminded on just how much I don't fit in, I just need to sit with people, especially other parents." Isn't that the TRUTH though. Oh my goodness.
    Phillip was a fantastically spooky Death!! We had a creepy kitty and a spooky ghost over here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I remember seeing pictures of your munchkins. Too cute!

      Delete
  6. Although very few kids come trick or treating nowadays in my country, I always dress up for the event when I'm not working (luckily it was the case this year). Of course I give away candy, do not ask for them, ahah! Glad you had a nice day with your son despite the terrible food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is fun trick or treating :)

      Delete
  7. Mini death is spooky but cute. Do you have McCafe? Some of their cakes are not bad at all! Probably less unhealthy than the burgers, too! You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...