Friday, November 11, 2016

Goodbye Mr. Cohen

"Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash."


2016 is a rough year. First Lemmy, then Bowie and now Leonard Cohen.

Growing up in Montreal, I was exposed to this wonderful man myself at an early age. As a Montrealer, I am proud that he grew up here and has a residence in the Plateau.

Images are from the vigil fans set up outside of his home here in Montreal. All images were taken from: http://montrealgazette.com/gallery/gallery-leonard-cohen-vigil




His beautiful soothing voice sang songs and read poems that would soothe me during times of inner turmoil.

Sometimes, I like to believe that things happen for a reason. Perhaps Cohen's passing yesterday is a way to remind us that despite the recent events that have occurred earlier this week to:

“Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.” 

Thank you Mr. Cohen from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for the memories and for helping me get through my adolescent years. Thank you for inspiring me to write poetry. I like to think that if it weren't for your words, I wouldn't be the person I am today.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...