Wednesday, October 5, 2016

There And Back Again, an expected reading



Philip is getting older. He no longer has the attention span of a gnat. Last year, I tried reading him Harry Potter. The year before, it was CS Lewis and I gave up. He just couldn't sit still long enough. This year, at the magical age of 6 and learning to read himself, we decided to give grown up books another go and we were successful. This year, he accepted the Golden Ticket with glee and off we went to The Shire to visit an old friend. The old friend of mine is quite a peculiar character. He is shorter than me, eats a second breakfast every day and has furry feet. He is my old pal Bilbo Baggins and we have embarked on his not so wanted journey to the Misty Mountain!

Philip is very much into fantasy and shares my love for dragons. He took an interest in my husband, Jay's D&D books and would spend time inventing his own stories or dungeon crawls based off of the pictures in these books. Thanks to Philip's fascination with the D&D books, I figured introducing him to The Hobbit was in order. I do realize that I could make him watch the movie but I won't for two obvious reasons: (1) the book is always better (2) The Hobbit movie is NOTHING like the novel and I hated it. The other LOTR movies were amazing but I was so disappointed with The Hobbit.

It has been about a week since we started reading a chapter (or less) from The Hobbit at bedtime. Hopefully, we can get through the entire series by the end of the year!





Once we are done with the hobbit we will be tackling the trilogy, which is something else I am excited for. We have two cats called Merry and Pippin. I am interested in seeing Philip's reaction when those two hobbits are introduced. He will finally realize the reasons why we chose those names for our cats.

In spirit of introducing him to The Hobbit, there is a park with an actual Hobbit hole that is located in the "Waste Island" - for those of you new to this blog, I wrote about growing up in this area and if you have not yet noticed, I am not particularly fond of the West Island. The things we do for our kids because I ventured back into that area last weekend. So many people have told me about "The Hobbit park" that I had to check it out. By the way the media made this park out to be, my expectations were quite high. In fact, if I would have blinked I would have missed the hobbit hole! I was pretty discouraged because I expected much, much more. The only upside to this park is that it has a zip line. All three of us took turns on it.






I don't have any zipline photos but here's one of Philip and I in a huge saucer swing instead!

7 comments:

  1. Omg a Hobbit Hole! Too awesome!

    I know lots of Tolkien purists who hate the 2nd and 3rd Hobbit movies for the differences. I have not read it but I read the LOTR books as a teen. In a month. It was very immersive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in the first movie, I spotted differences! I don't like to consider myself a Tolkien purist but the movie was very different from the book in so many aspects that it really bothered me. I have seen plenty of movies that were based off of books (JK Rowling, Stephen King, etc) and I enjoyed them although the plots were different from the book. The Hobbit movie had characters that were not even in the book! There was a hole story line that never existed! I guess I just hope that my little one would read a book before waiting for it to come out as a movie. Reading is so much better!

      Delete
  2. Oh for sure, read The Hobbit book to him! SO much better than those bloated movies. I love that hobbit house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a wonderful graphic novel of the Hobbit that we read to our kids. It has beautiful pictures and is true to the book. The pictures also helped keep the kids attention. My eldest loved Harry Potter and Narnia, and I am considering starting my middle child off on them now. And always books before movies!

    There is a role playing game specifically for children called Hero Kids. You should check it out!

    I love that you have a Hobbit hole. I wish we had something like that, even if the rest of the park was a bit of a dissapointment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hobbit is a pretty good introduction to fantasy^^ I'm planning to buy the comic book thingy for my niece when she learns to read properly^^

    A hobbit hole? Cute^^ I hated The Hobbit movies too, but I did appreciate Tranduil and his elk...:'D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...