Monday, October 24, 2016

Halloween pet peeves

I was not feeling well this weekend and spent some time on Social Media, specifically, Facebook and I caught myself face palming with some of the memes that appeared on my news feed. Before I go any further, this is NOT a personal attack towards any well-meaning person sharing these but I often question the source. Halloween is obviously my favourite Holiday but I have so many pet peeves with it that I thought I would write a list for fun.

(1) Now for the first Meme:



Really? Who does this? Perhaps I am naive, but I do not let children linger at my doorstep for various reasons (re: creepy) and I don't let kids choose candy. In my area, growing up, I never got to choose and over the last 5 years trick or treating with my son, we were never given a choice. I buy a shit load of various candy and I make loot bags. They get what they get. End of story. I try to avoid peanuts because it seems to me, nowadays, everyone is allergic to them. We won't be needing guns to fight future wars. We would be killing each other with peanuts!

Not all children say thank you. Not just the non-verbal ones.  A parent needs to remind them. I can attest to this. In my area, there are so many children at my door, I never take notice or care anyways! If someone is so butt hurt over not getting a thank you, well, they should not be giving out candy.

As for autistic children, my child is not autistic and I will not comment on something I have never dealt with. If  a parent explains to me the situation, I have no qualms working around anything to accommodate that kid. If I think anything is up with a particular trick or treater, I don't judge and try to be as kind as I can without compromising the Holiday. From what I was told by parents of autistic kids, Halloween is very difficult from them. Some don't go trick or treating but will go to organized activities that are planned for them.

If people are actually saying these things expressed in the above meme, then this makes me sad. 

(2) The second Meme made me chuckle and I have to admit, it is probably true. I still inspect my kid's candy to be prudent but I won't be super paranoid over rumours unless there is actual local news coverage telling me otherwise.
 

(3) The super slutty costumes. Remember when Halloween was scary? My all time favourite: Goth costumes. So tacky

halloweencostumes.com

(4) I try not to get too annoyed since the other person doesn't know any better but it drives me a little nutty when non-goth folk assume I am dressed that way for Halloween. Nope, I dress that way all year. I don't get butt hurt in these situations and would never be rude. It's slightly irritating, that's all.

(5) Not only that these non-goth people assume that I am showing Halloween spirit but I often get comments on how they found a similar article of clothing that I am wearing (you know a goth brand that I paid through the nose for) at a local Halloween costume shop.*Face palm* Again, this is nothing really insulting and nothing to get butt hurt over but it gets old and annoying.

I do realize these are pretty trivial pet peeves but the majority of us share them and I thought it would be fun to write about it. You know, first world Goth problems and all!

11 comments:

  1. 3) ha ha ha I just bought that bat custome to wear around the house like a snuggy. Honestly, I've been jealous of those toddler animal costumes from Pottery Barnes Kids and wanted to dress like a bat too! Of course, I don't look like that woman pictures and I do tend to flap my arms like I'm flying ha ha ha.

    As for Goth costumes, I have gone as a Monster High Doll and as Raven from _Vampire Kisses_. I have worn my own clothing and just styled the outfits a bit more over the top than usual. We have an English department party for Halloween and we tend to focus dressing like book characters. This year I have a meeting on Halloween so I really cannot dress in costume. I'm opting for a skeleton dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet when you do it, it is tasteful. The problem with these costumes is that they are made cheap, look tacky and are super slutty. I bet when you do it, you look super cute.

      Delete
    2. I bought the bat hoodie too! LOL!!!

      Delete
  2. I think slutty costumes are overdone. Don't mind slutty nurses. But when somebody makes a slutty Chewbacca costume, that's a little much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you never know, there are tons of people who are into that sort of thing :p

      Delete
  3. Lol, seriously, why would you give drugs to a kid? I know it's a joke, but it must have come form somewhere...:')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL the best candy tend to look like drugs :) Maybe some kid picked up an E tablet or acid or something thinking it was candy.

      Delete
  4. Great post. The Halloween trick or treating is a new tradition here. But we had thursday before easter holiday as a similar tradition. Children dressed as witches walked around handing out hand made easter cards and begged for candy.Children were always told to be polite, say thank you to anything that was given. I think this meme says a lot about how many children are raised today. We call it the curling generation (the parents are sweeping the ice to let the stone , kid, slide smoothly). I teach teenagers who cant write properly, dont think they have to listen or work in class, and are more busy with social media than math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your Easter tradition! I also agree acout today's parenting and perhaps this is why the meme was generated because some people don't discipline their kids. I have no problems accomodating a special needs child because I have a big heart but I will not compromise my holiday because someone is butt hurt over something :p

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with the whole list. I've seen both slutty cheetahs for toddlers and slutty hamburgers. Seriously?! Who comes up with this stuff? I don't know what it is like where you live, but here the store bought costumes have really crappy qulity, and at the same time people look down their noses at home made costumes. People really need to get their priorities straight.

    When it comes to drugs in Halloween candy there is luckely no need to worry. Snopes.com has done several articles on it, and have not come up with a single genuine case.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...