Friday, October 14, 2016

Getting black dye out of your hair

Yes, Darklings, I am letting my natural color come back in! After colouring my hair black for the past several years, I want a change.

I learned the hard way that bleaching black out of hair is not the way to go.

What spawned this choice was over the course of several months, specifically in the summer time when I started losing weight and going swimming on a daily basis.

The chlorine was  killing my hair.

Yes, I bought all these products and oils but my hair is very dry. The products leave my hair in an oily mess and I ended up washing my hair more frequently which obviously didn't help.

Now, the weather is cooler but I am still swimming (in an indoor pool) and I have to wear a bathing cap. I do put on some leave-in-conditioner under my bathing cap before I go in the pool and it has helped but it is very dull.

The chlorine fades the black and it looks lifeless . Alright,  I admit, I like things to look dead but not my hair, OK?

I googled "blonde hair goths" and I was taken aback by how beautiful these girls were.

It doesn't mean that I stopped dying my hair that I am going to be less goth. It just means that when I have my natural hair colour, I might be able to "up" my personal style and makeup a little more for  work. For some odd reason, despite black being a natural hair colour, a lot of people have this weird preconceived notion about me with the black hair. It is really weird.

Last summer, I decided to grow out my bangs. I had Bettie bangs for years. I was going through some anxiety issues and since my hair grows fast, I just didn't have time or patience for the upkeep. I am feeling that way now with dying my hair. My hair grows so fast that I am re-touching the roots every month. If I dye my own hair at home, I always get it on my neck or ears or face and all over the bathroom. I am tired of the clean up. I am tired of finding time to dye my hair and then have it fade after I go swimming  a couple of days later.


Will I keep my natural color? I don't know. I may just shake my head, laugh and bring out the bottle of black dye all over again. At this point, I just need a break from hair maintenance for a while!


A sample of my roots

You see my roots here

23 comments:

  1. That is a very smart decision cause hair dyes are poisonous for your sculp and there for your body also.
    I have been living without hair dyes 1 and a half year now and I like my own colour more each day as it grows more :) I see people with their natural healthy hair as someone who are not afraid to be theirselves and care for their health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true and I am just tired of the upkeep

      Delete
  2. You absolutely don't need to have black hair to be goth, and blond hair is not anti-goth at all! maybe you could dye a few streaks colourful (blue or purple!) when you get blond again! personaly i have a red ombre which means my roots are my natural hair color and the bottom of my hair is red. You can have so much fun with hair, whatever length, colour, etc.! Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am looking forward to being able to put funky colours in again!

      Delete
  3. I did swimming as kid it constantly bleached my hair lighter not great. I didn't care I loved being in the water. My colour really dark brown with a hint of auburn still not a nice colour. As I get older, my hair is turning lighter the colour just gross. I did dye my black and with in a month it's out know word of lie my hair doesn't like black. I opted for the red, that stuff stay in for years it turns into a nice reddish coppery tone. Gives some colour adds some colour to my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is so fun to change colours and I don't want to stop swimming.

      Delete
  4. Blonde goths are super stylish^^
    Bleaching is definitely not the way to go, but I'm not patient enough to grow out my hair once I'm bored of a color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I learned the hard way that bleaching hair out is not the way to go

      Delete
  5. Chlorine is a sonovabitch on hair alright. It's the big downside to swimming but hopefully the swimming cap will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help and I do have a leave-in conditioner that I put on my hair

      Delete
  6. I was a blonde goth for years and years and was told, "I could never truly be goth while I had blonde hair." My response, giant. middle. finger. Do whatever you like and whatever makes your heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes! A lot of local goths here have natural hair and they look wonderful!

      Delete
  7. White blond hair is so in right now...I wish I was a natural blonde! Plus you could do those pastel colors everyone is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So many options! It is going to take a while but it will be fun to watch my hair grow out

      Delete
  8. You most certainly don't have to have dark hair to be Goth. Even though my hair's been black for a few years. now, I've been all the colours of the rainbow and my natural colour is auburn. Looking forward to seeing your natural colour ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming from Scandinavia I had to smile at this post. Sure a lot of people dye their hair (and not everyone has natural blonde hair, despite the marketing), but being blonde was never a "thing", it was just the way a lot of people were. There was never a question of anyone being less of a goth because of blonde hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also got tired hair maintenance so I let my real haircolour grow out a while ago and now I only do dipdyes :D I think goths in all sort of haircolours are pretty!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...