Monday, August 22, 2016

6 weeks later and 7 pounds lighter

I have been writing a lot about how I am eating healthier and exercising lately. What started this new found lifestyle change was this picture:


I took one look at this photo and thought "holy shit! I got fat"

As much as I wanted to crash diet, I knew that was not the way to go. Not long after this photo was taken, I decided to turn my life around even if it meant doing it one day and one pound at a time.

I exercise between 3 to 6 times a week. I eat healthy meals (home cooked) and I count calories. What works for me is the My Fitness Pal app I have on my phone. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, it is so easy to pick up unhealthy eating habits and it can be challenging to learn how to eat healthy again. In fact, I am back to the same food I used to eat when I had no disposable income and couldn't treat myself to that specialty latté from Starbucks or a meal at a restaurant. I am not the only one benefiting from this. My entire family is!

My big treat after working out is chocolate milk. It replenishes nutrients in my body and it is delicious. I don't drink tons of it because it is high in calories (I actually use a measuring cup and limit myself to one or two cups depending on the workout) but it motivates me to go exercise! In fact, chocolate milk is a favourite as a post workout drink amongst athletes! I don't want to eat actual food after a workout and I think the healthiest choice would be chocolate milk over sugary sports drinks!

It has been about 6 weeks. I lost 7 pounds and even in this short time, I have noticed a huge difference. I have more stamina. I can run up stairs and not get tired anymore. I can actually run longer distances without losing my breath. The important part is that I am taking care of myself because I neglected my health for a couple of months. I went from being happy and confident to looking at myself in the mirror and shaking my head. I am not just doing this for vanity reasons. I am doing this for me because I deserve it! I want to be healthy again. Even when I was a pack a day smoker, I ate better than I did a couple of months ago. I stopped smoking to improve my health. Now it is time to feed my body the food it requires in order to be healthy. Instead of lighting up or eating chocolate when I feel stressed, I go work out.

The photo on the left was taken July 19, 2016   -  The photo on the right was taken August 20, 2016




23 comments:

  1. Eating healthy is the way to go! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - you look much fitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthiest possible life is the most precious gift to ourselves and our families ♥ Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I want to be that old tattooed lady one day who shakes things up in the nursing home!

      Delete
  4. You're definitely doing it the right way, bit by bit! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, well done. I may have to take that advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it. I always tell people that you must really want to do it because the first week or two, I found it hard. Now, I have a routine and I love it.

      Delete
  6. Wow, congrats!! But...3 to 6 times a week? I don't even care to think about it so often...:D Nah, you have my utmost respect and I wish I would have the determination and patience for this lifestyle change thing...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynoire. At first, I didn't think I was going to do it so often but I got into a routine. Now, exercising is like brushing my teeth and I look forward to it. It has really helped me with my anxiety issues :)

      Delete
    2. Well...I guess you just had to get used to it then, but why is it so hard to start doing it? :D

      Delete
    3. I don't know. For me personally, it was vanity and that motivated me out the door!

      Delete
  7. Keep up the hard work! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Small daily changes is was really makes the differance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. as long as it is as safe as it sounds in your post, keep going! quitting smoking was one of your best decisons ever! I never touched a cigarette in my life and i see tobacco as pure evil LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As tempting as it is to loose the weight quickly, I know that is not the way to go

      Delete
  10. Congrats! Even though it is difficult I know you can reach whatever you want, take your time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...