Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Why I just paint my face and the shadows smile

The sky was overcast, dark and broody which has been the weather over the past couple of days here in Montreal. While most people are complaining about the lack of summer weather, my spirts are high. I hate summer and the heat. The drive to my son's school and the usual morning drop-off was uneventful. That particular morning, he wanted me to walk into school with him. Whatever floats your boat, kid. Over the past few weeks, Philip has been requesting Blutengel to be played in my car while I take him to school in the morning. Nothing else. I am quite fond of the band but I was opting for a change.

The Cure is scheduled to perform at the Bell Centre next week and I am getting quite stoked. I am going to see one of my favourite bands play live and why not add to my hype by listening to some of their songs during my drive into work? Now that my son is safely in school, I switch playlists and Robert Smith's voice starts bellowing out through my crappy car speakers.

I am a horrible singer. I cannot carry a note if my life depended on it but in the comfort of my car, with my doors and windows safely closed, I can belt out any song I want. This time, I was singing along to Pictures Of You. The song ends and the song Burn from the movie The Crow begins to play. Now, I have a huge smile on my face because I was reminded of  how the movie is considered clichéd amongst the goth subculture and I was highly amused over this. Let me tell you why:

You see, a lot of fellow Goths (usually earlier generations) often scoff at The Crow. Hell, even Jillian Venters stated that "Friends don't let friends dress like The Crow" in her novel The Gothic Charm School. To a certain degree, I agree with her. It has been overly done and to be honest it can take away from Goth being a subculture based on individuality.

ignore the box.Taken last year with my poster in the background


I cannot really pass on too many judgments here because I sometimes hang my little gothy head in shame over this. Here is a babybat confession where thankfully, there is no photographic evidence(that I know of) lurking around because I wore Crow makeup too. You see, as a teenager or baby bat in the mid to late nineties, I was highly influenced by movie (I know, I know, the comics came first) and it opened up a whole new world to me. You see, The Crow as clichéd as it maybe was one of my gateway drugs into the subculture. The movie also shaped who I am and I also discovered new things.

The Crow taught me that there were some good guys out there and one day, I will find my own Eric Draven because I had my share of abusive, negative relationships. What I didn't realize at that time, he was standing right there in front of me!

Best Christmas present ever!


I was always a Nine Inch Nails fan and their remake of the song Dead Souls, introduced me to a new band. Joy Division ring a bell? 

I started dressing all in black and even dyed my hair black too. I did not fully consider myself goth, in fact, I wasn't even aware of goth at that time until others pointed that out to me. All because I became a huge fan of The Crow.

I read the graphic novel the movie was based off of and was lucky to even purchase a copy several years later. At that time, I thought comics were all super hero related or Archie and Jugghead. Boy, was I ever wrong! This later got me into Manga and then the Sandman comics. A whole new world opened up for me there too.

I get it. The Crow is over done. Look a carbon copy! Aaaaah! I can see why some of the elder goths roll their eyes over it.. As a result, whenever I am tempted to roll my eyes over the newest goth trend myself (ie. Mallgoth, health goth, Nu Goth, etc) I remind myself at one point, I not only wore cheap, badly applied Halloween makeup from the dollar store, I wore it like The Crow, AND I paraded around in public with it. I may not always be a personal fan of some of these latest goth trends but from what I have seen online, these kids look a hell of a lot better than I ever did when I was their age!

I am positive I am not the only one from my generation who loves this movie and comics to bits and who wore makeup inspired by or copied from Eric Draven. A while ago, a remake was in the works and while I was originally on the bench about it, I now think they should leave the movie the hell alone. Nothing will ever live up to the original.


15 comments:

  1. Fellow sister, I also wore the Crow make up out and proud! Love the movie and think that goths never refrain from a good clishe. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a non-goth, the most fascinating part of the movie The Crow is obviously Brandon Lee and his mysterious death. Movie had a huge influence on my teenage years too but maybe in a different way. When I think my year of sweet 16, song that starts to play in my head is finnish rock/pop band 69eyes and their song "Brandon Lee" <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to check that song out now! I also think it is a shame that Brandon Lee died during the film that would have most probably made his career. I am a huge Bruce Lee fan too

      Delete
    2. Oh, then u must see their video of that song on Youtube~:)

      Delete
  3. I love the Crow for me it was my version of teenage movies and Interview with the Vampire. I may have even trialed with the Crow make up it's of experimenting. I also, used to do white foundation shit eyeliner, and use stockings as arm warmers.


    Unfortunately, my teenage years were ten/ twenty years too late sadly.

    I love the Crow, it's in my top movies, it such modern gothic love story.

    Take care hun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Anne Rice's vampire novels! I read the book before I saw the movie because when the movie came out, I was not old enough to see it or even rent it. I was not able to go in the theatres and my mom rented it for me. She later bought it for me on VHS LOL

      Delete
    2. I remember VhS. At the age of six I could and play videos. If you asked me now how to do it I couldnt begin to even do it.

      Delete
  4. You're joking, right?! I don't give a damn' about whatever others, elder goths or goth celebs say, The Crow has always been and will be one of my all - time favorites...!^^ I think they cancelled the reboot, by the way^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people our age feel that way. I can see why the elders would get annoyed. There was a time, you could play spot The Crow and everyone (ie normal people) dressed up like that for Halloween. On the other hand, it was one of my first introductions to the subculture and it holds a special place in my heart. I really hope they cancelled the reboot! Woot Woot!

      Delete
  5. I'm not a goth but I do like Nine Inch Nails. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine Inch Nails is an amazing band and thank you!

      Delete
  6. 'The Crow' is a classic, cult or otherwise! When those days happen when I just want to SCREAM with anger and/or frustration at some people, just thinking about that movie makes me smile and lose the anger somewhat, because the creeps got everything they deserved (with lots of blood and gore involved), and even though the hero was dead, he brought a mother and daughter back together, kicked all the bad guys' asses, and he STILL got his girl back in the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And BTW, Philip has great taste in music!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything that inspires you and helps you find what you love is great! I used to be obsessed with The Crow, I never did the makeup but I cannot say I never wanted to. Enjoy The Cure, I am so excited about the tour!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...