Friday, June 3, 2016

Summer plans

For any locals reading this, head out to Dollarama because I recently purchased some activity books there and they are aimed at Kindergarten and Grade 1 kids. I believe I have also seen some grade 2 stuff there too. These books were $1.25 each and are filled with exercises. They are apparently written by teachers working in Canadian classrooms. I can attest that pretty much everything Philip learned in kindergarten this year, it is covered in these books!

I got him kindergarten Writing Readiness, Kindergarten Reading Readiness, Grade 1 Math, and Grade 1 Reading. The pages can easily be torn off (easier to photocopy!) and there are answers in the back of the book.

I do not plan on doing these everyday. A couple of times during the week will suffice. If he does well, he gets a sticker and depending on how much he completes and how well he does these worksheets, he will get a reward at the end. I am thinking of taking him on a field trip either to the Planetarium, the beach, etc. We shall see.

Philip wants so much to read. Here in Canada, they slowly get kids ready in kindergarten but they do not stress on it yet. He knows what most letters sound like but he still doesn't know enough to sound out words. He does recognize a lot of words though.

I don't want to be anal but I don't want him forgetting what he learned all year during the summer break  either and he wants to read. We are hoping he would start this summer.

Yes, I know, my kid is going to hate me because I will be making him do school work when he is on summer break. Haha!

What are your summer plans?


12 comments:

  1. If your interested, I dunno if this may interest you here some f
    ree print of activity for Rainy days. Just for fun http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/.
    http://www.printactivities.com/
    http://www.themeasuredmom.com/


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I will be sure to check those out. Much appreciated

      Delete
  2. Oh, I SO understand how Philip feels about reading. I was very annoyed with my mom because she wouldn't teach me to read before I started kindergarten. Then, when I finally got there, I was annoyed because I didn't learn to read on the first day! But I made up for THAT in short order... ::smug smile::

    I think those books look like fun, and it sounds like you will make them fun, so I doubt he will be mad at you for having him do school work, especially if reading is involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Glad you learned to read early!

      Delete
  3. Since your son really wants to read, reward him with books if he gets his activities done. Become his book dealer. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's also a good idea, thank you!

      Delete
  4. In Hungary, students get a list of recommended reads at the end of each school year and they have to choose a few titles they're going to read during summer break. They have to take notes and write essays, then at the beginning of the next school year, they report to their teachers...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they did this in Canada. They didnt do that when I was in school but hopefully things have changed for kids in the higher grades. We shall see next year

      Delete
  5. If learning is made to be fun, I'm sure your son won't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He might not epicly love it in the moment, but I'm sure he'll thank you immensely for the further head start towards a life of reading joy once he's older.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica


    *PS* I really wonder if this is something of a shift in education in our country and/or if it differs from the west to the east coast. I learned to read in pre-school and was on simple chapter books by kindergarten (back in the late 80s here in BC). Though, to be fair, I was (humbly) a very quick learner and a total sponge when it came to reading and writing, so perhaps I was an outlier in that regard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well with a reward waiting for him in the end I am sure he will be happy :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...