Saturday, May 28, 2016

May Monster Madness: Whovian edition

May Monster Madness 2016
http://littlegothichorrors.blogspot.ca/2016/05/may-monster-madness-2016.html


I originally thought of posting about vampires or werewolves but I wanted to do something that leaned a little more towards my geeky side. Considering I go on and on about Doctor Who all the time,  why not post about the monsters or creatures that we see on the TV show? For those who have zero interest in Doctor who, by all means, skip this post, I wont take it personal.

It was very difficult to narrow down my favourite characters and I narrowed it down to my top 5 list.


(1) The Silence - These human-like creatures are seen in the nu-who universe and not in the original, classic Doctor who episodes. The Silence are really from a religious order from the same name and their appearance was inspired by Edvard Munch's painting, The Scream. They remind me of The Gentleman from an episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. These creatures are apparently the scariest Doctor Who villains of all time. They are only perceived while you are viewing them but the moment you turn away, they are forgotten. These creatures invoke our fears of forgetting and possibly the tyranny and fanaticism of religion.

  
This is where I got the image
The Scream - image found here




(2) Cybermen - These creatures can be seen in both classic and nu-who episodes. Once human, they are now part of an artificial intelligence hivemind that have certain sense of routine and protocols. Depending on the cyberman or "upgrade" some have the ability of free will, although this is an extremely rare case. They had all traces of human emotion removed from them and are more machines programmed to kill or upgrade other humanoids into cybermen like themselves. These can reflect our own fears of losing our humanity.
    
This is where I got the image

Classic Cyberman - Image found here


(3) The Daleks- Are an extraterrestrial race who see themselves as the superior race and their main goal, which is a common catch-phrase in Pop culture is to "exterminate" every other race in the universe. These creatures are scary because they were inspired by real life Nazis.

This is where I got the image

(4) The Empty Child - Not a villain but a little boy that was hit and supposed to be killed by a fallen meteorite during the London Blitz. This particular episode still scares me today. Essentially, it is a little boy, living but dead inside, unable to understand typical nuances. A perfect example is the earlier fear of a changeling where a human child is replaced by something that looks like your child but is not. It is the fear of having your child just out of reach and unable to touch or connect like you would with your real child. This episode terrifies me but touches me on so many levels. The real fear, despite the gas mask is the fact that the child sees you as a stranger. For a parent, this is absolutely terrifying! This child wanders the streets of London searching for his mummy. In fact, through out the episode, the child can control the radio and telephone via telekinetic powers and you hear his voice on these devices asking "are you my mummy?" If this boy touches you, you turn into a walking shell of a human being. Your face turns into a gas mask similar to the boy's (your face IS the gas mask) and you too begin searching for your mummy without really understand what a mummy is. You have no real idea what that bond entails.

 I have a funny story about this. After watching the episode, I went to sleep. I have a little blonde boy called Philip that sounds like same little boy, The Empty Child portrayed on the TV show. In the middle of the night, Philip ventured into my room, standing next to my bed, chanting "Mooooommmy. Moooooommmmmy" just like that little boy did on TV. I woke up and screamed and screamed and screamed while my poor son just stood there bawling his eyes out! Some time later, around Halloween, we purchased Philip a costume. He picked out the Transformers Bumblebee costume that comes with a mask. My husband Jay, thought it would be funny to ask Philip to wear the mask, go down in the kitchen where my niece and I were chatting to ask us "are you my, mummy?" We almost had a heart attack! This episode pulled on my heartstrings as well as terrified me.



(5) The Weeping Angels - By far, in my opinion, the scariest villains in the who-verse. As a goth, I remember admiring the beautiful angel statues that are often seen in cemeteries.  After watching Doctor Who, I cannot look at them the same way again. Well, technically, I should be looking at them and not blinking. You see, these are not ordinary statues. Whenever you blink, they come alive and try to get you. If these beings touch you, you are transported to another time and you are stuck there to live out the rest of your days. In addition, they feed off of that time energy and they are always hungry. If you come across the beautiful statuettes, remember, don't blink, don't turn your back and run as fast as you can.

When you are looking - image source

When you blink or look away - image source

*Now you are looking upon an image of a weeping angel, it has now become an actual weeping angel. Don't blink!*



I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to thank everyone involved in this blogging event as well as for allowing me to have the opportunity to further explore some of my favourite Doctor Who characters. I could write about them forever and it was hard to narrow down my list to my top 5.  Thanks for reading and for allowing me to let my geek flag fly!








29 comments:

  1. The Weeping Angels are my absolute favourites!! I have a Weeping and a Screaming Angel sitting on my desk! ^_^ Naturally, 'Blink' is my all time fave episode too! :D

    I love that you picked Doctor Who monsters for your post! One of the coolest things about blog parties is seeing all the variety! Thanks for being a part of MMM! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am amazed over the variety of posts. They were so much fun to read :) Thanks for hosting. P.S - its awesome you have a weeping angel on your desk!

      Delete
  2. I love the Weeping Angels. I find them freaking hysterical. And I find The Silence and The Empty Child terrifying. They are so difficult to fight...

    Fantastic MMM post, Syvie. One of my favorites. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the Weeping Angels are the scariest. Thanks for following my blog -- I'm following you back. I see you're from Montreal! Edmonton, me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, a fellow Canadian. Of course I am going to follow your blog. I had fun reading some of your posts, yesterday!

      Delete
  4. How many hours have I spent watching Dr Who! And I may be a cliché, but the 10th doctor is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Tennant as the 10th Doctor is a lot of people's favourites. He really played an excellent role. I don't really have a favourite. I am fond of the 4th doctor played by Tom Baker (the one with the really long scarf) and the 9th doctor Christopher Eccleston because he was my first doctor after getting back into the show.

      Delete
  5. There can never be enough Doctor Who! I totally can understand waking u and screaming from your son in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL and yeah, there can never be enough Doctor Who!

      Delete
  6. Wow and snap, I've also wrote about the Dr Who monsters and villains. It's always great to meet another Who fanatic. We've both picked the Weeping Angels as one of the most scary. I think 'Blink' was one of the most scary episodes of the new Who adventures. I agree with all your other choices too. Though I think in the 'Empty Child' I got a little bit more erm distracted by Captain Jack than the child,hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the direction you went for MMM! I have never seen the Weeping Angels before that seems like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. If you have time, I strongly recommend a Doctor Who marathon and definitely watch the Blink episode because it is the introduction to the weeping angels. :) Don't blink, my friend

      Delete
  8. OMG! Every time I even think of the phrase "are you my mummy" I could burst into tears, but the episode where the Cybermen are "processing" the humans in the warehouse was the scariest thing I've seen in forever! Great post D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I forgot about that episode!

      Delete
  9. Fly that geek flag high! Great post! I have to admit, I have only watched Doctor Who, once and while. But, I really enjoyed your post! The weeping angels are scary!! I think a Doctor Who marathon is calling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've noticed since the Dr Who series was taken over by the new producers came in after David Tennant left. The series defiantly took interesting new directions; by adopting a more traditional psychological horror that's has resulted in some fantastic episodes resulting in me ready to jump behind the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it started a little bit in the Tennant era but since Moffatt took over, there were quite a few episodes that had me scared. If you are up-to-date on the series, the one with the 12th doctor, Capaldi where they were showing his fear. That one gave me goosebumps.

      Delete
    2. Im pretty much update, with the series. The boyfriend records every, so we watch it when convenient

      Delete
  11. Ha! We're Dr. Who fans at my house too. My children liked to sneak behind me and say "Are you my mummy?" I would sometimes retaliate with "Hey, who turned out the lights?" Though I think as I get older, I may be more likely to declare, "Moisturize me!" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Darn! I forgot Lady Cassandra. She was cool

      Delete
  12. I must see The Empty Child! I don't blame you for freaking out. It sounds so creepy! A Cyberman will be in my next bot battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I cant wait to read that! You should definitely see the empty child. The Eccleston era is worth it!

      Delete
  13. The Gentlemen are some of my favorites ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...