Friday, April 8, 2016

Sylvie's word of the day

For as long as I can remember, I loved to read and write. One of the reasons for starting this blog was to indulge in my passion for writing. When I was pregnant for Philip, I bought him his first book. In fact, it was one of my childhood favorites. The book is called "Where The Wild Things Are" By Maurice Sendak. The artwork is brilliant and the story always made me smile. I used to read this to him while he was still in my womb!


Photo taken from Amazon.ca

There was a time, where he requested books for Christmas and 90% of the gifts he received that year were books. He was happy with his haul and indulged in his books. He has a huge bookshelf filled with them and he "reads" every one of them. We read to him almost every night too and we are so proud that he has inherited our love of books. I love being a reading family!

In my childhood, reading was an escape from life's problems. I was bullied and I was not always happy at home. It was my escape from that reality. Reading got me though some of the happiest and most difficult times in my life. For a long time, I always had a book in my hand. I have stopped reading since I had Philip. I find this sad and am starting to read again! I plan on reading on my lunch hour at work and when Philip goes to sleep. Having a small child around can be a huge pain in the ass. Just when I think he is perfectly happy and distracted playing with his toys, the moment I start reading a few words, he comes and interrupts me. I try to ask him not to do so but it doesn't always work. My husband tries to take care of him in order to give me some down time but he wants me. I am thinking of reading in the bath. I just need to make sure he uses the washroom before I go take my bath. I am going to find time to read, dammit!

What sprung this on was the fact that I need to find babysitting arrangements for the summer when school is out. My mom graciously volunteered to help but I do not want her to have to watch him all summer. He is a lot of energy and I am sure she would find it difficult at her age. I see how tired (but happy) she is at the end of the day when I go pick up Philip after work. There are summer camps organized by the city borough. I just need to get a special card proving he is a resident of the city. For those wondering, this is not a sleep away camp. It is a day camp where children get to play and do all sorts of fun activities during the summer months when school is closed. It is super expensive and I am so grateful that my mom can watch him for a few weeks, otherwise, all my disposable income will be going towards camp. I cant afford to go anywhere this year but there are places locally I want to take Philip!

In order to get this special card which also can be used as a library card, you can either go to city hall during working hours or to the local library that is open on weekends.

Fortunately for me, we have two libraries in our borough! One is in walking distance from my house. I am so lucky! Saturday morning, Philip and I ventured off to the local library. It is quite a small library with not a lot of selection in books, especially in English but we can reserve books from other libraries in Montreal at no extra fee and they will have them delivered to our local library!  The downstairs area is the kid's section and we were so thrilled. They have computers, videogames, a huge selection of DVDs and obviously tons of books you can borrow. They even have an activity room. We arrived too late because they were just finishing up an craft activity and it looked like fun! I have not stepped into a library in years, I forgot how cool they are!

Philip got his own card with his picture and got to take out a couple of books. I also took out two for me!. I am glad we have a new family tradition that also enables us to stick within a budget we set for ourselves. I am going to need to save money to pay for Philips summer camp AND vacation AND my new tattoo AND Jays new computer. Philip is happy because he gets a constant cycle of' "new" books to read.


 Here are some of the books we took out:



10 comments:

  1. I love the library, but our local has become quite modern and clinical. Wooden shelving has been replaced by metal, and that lovely old book smell has gone, too. Where the Wild Things Are is a gorgeous book. I love hearing of people introducing their children to the library, Philip has many new worlds at his fingertips ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen wooden shelves in librairies over here so I am very envious.

      Delete
  2. The Vampire Stories of Nancy Kilpatrick sounds interesting. Have you started reading it yet? If yes, how is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first one. Nancy Kilpatrick is an amazing author, yet I am kinda biased here because I am very fortunate to have met her and have hung out with her a few times. So in my very biased opinion, GO READ ALL HER STUFF!

      Delete
  3. I worked at a library for nearly 2 years. I could make a choice among the novelties before the library customers borrowed them. I have been reading since I was able to. Mostly in French, but sometimes in English. Reading is really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sooooo jealous of you. I would love to work in a library!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that your son got his first library card. That is such an important rite of passage. I clearly remember mine at about the same age and have never gone more than a few days (right after moving to a new town) without one since. There are few placed I haunt more than libraries. :)

    Big hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jessica. Happy reading to you and happy library haunting :)

      Delete
  5. REading has always been the place I escaped to, I still dream of a world like the one I imagine, not like the one I live in! I am working on it! Being a parent sounds very busy, I can understand how you lack time to read! Hope you find some time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally hear you on not having time to read books after having children. I hope you find time to read again. After several years with minimal reading, I actually got to read six books last year!
    We are lucky and have a very good library within walking distance too. I try to make a family outing there once a month. I feel quite lucky, as my kids often will rather sleep with a book in their bed than a teddy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...