Monday, March 28, 2016

Celebrating Easter from a non-religious point of view.

As the title of my post goes, I am not religious. I used to consider myself "spiritual" but had a hard time with all that "mumbo jumbo" or "woo-woo" stuff. I love reading about people's beliefs, even if they don't coincide with my own but please don't preach to me over my lack of faith or how I should be following this path or that. I may personally choose not to follow any religion but I do love reading about how people celebrate the Holidays and what sort of customs or rituals they participate in. So by all means, please share how you celebrate!

Considering Philip's birthday is in September and the last time he got any gifts was Christmas, we decided that Easter is an excuse to spoil him, which means buying him toys! We do not believe in buying toys for the sake of buying toys so we find reasons to. Easter is one them. I don't go overboard and it is a better alternative than buying too many sweets. He still gets chocolate from the Easter bunny and from family members but I don't want him to have too much of that. We do hide a very small amount of Easter eggs and chocolates for him to find on Easter morning. This year, he got three Kinder eggs and an Easter bunny from us. As expected, he got us up at the ass crack of dawn Sunday because he was so excited to go see what the bunny brought him. He was super stoked that he got presents from us too! He told me that he loves getting things from Santa and the Easter Bunny but he likes it even more when his parents and family think of him too. What an insightful little boy!

Taken fresh out of bath and right before bed. This is why he has no glasses on. Philip is showing off  part of his loot. In case you did not notice, he is quite the Star Wars fan, we are so proud!!!! He also got a K9 Pop figure not shown here  (I bought a second one especially for him) because my kid is a Whovian like me! I am a proud mom over here!!!!

Easter is also time for family. My mom and niece Lori came down for supper on Sunday. Despite my rough start with having chronic migraines all weekend (which I will get into in a future post), it all turned out pretty well. My mom is so cute. She insisted on helping out with supper so she made me this special ham from an old recipe (the cookbook was printed in the 50s) that is also made with pineapple. All I had to do was heat it up. I did not make anything too complicated as side dishes but my dessert (a trifle) was pretty epic.

For those wondering, it is really simple dessert recipe, perfect for when you have a migraine or hangover or when you feel like shit.  I would like to share it with you. Please be forewarned and to please excuse me but this is how I make a recipe:

Get a box of Devil's Food Cake mix.The Betty Crocker one is AMAZING!
 Make the cake as per the directions on the box.
Let the cake cool.
Get a shit load of strawberries and/or bananas and/or both or whatever fruit you think goes good with chocolate.
Get a thing of Cool Whip (I prefer light because it is sweeter).
 In a bowl, crumble the cake, add the fruit on top of the cake, add a layer cool whip, then repeat.
 On the last layer, I usually get a chocolate bar (sometimes I add pecans but this time I put them on the side since my niece has allergies) and break it into small pieces. I have a very unique way of doing this. I keep the chocolate bar in its wrapper and I get my hammer! It really does make it into small pieces and no mess!!! It also helps me get out any frustration I may have!
Don't you like my recipes????

Woot! Free child labour...errr... I mean helper! He was mixing the cake.


I also find it very ironic that Lori showed up looking like a bag lady! Her mom (my sister) bought a shit load of chocolate for Philip (now you see why he didn't get much from us) and some DVDs for him. My sister also uses Easter as an excuse to spoil him! One huge bag was for me and there was some cool Halloween décor that they are no longer using inside. I will obviously be using those decorations all year round so they came to a good home. One of the goodies in the bag was my belated birthday present but I plan on doing a post about that in the future so stay tuned. Thanks to my Catholic upbringing and thanks to my snarkiness over Religion,  I find it ironic that I was given these on Easter Sunday of all days:


The witches were sent to me. They are so cute! They blend in so well with the books

This thing is huge!

For many years, when I was childless,  Easter meant a long weekend. I usually got Good Friday off and that meant partying! Sometimes we would have a family dinner which I used to attend with a hang over no less but those became few and far between over the years. Now that I have a little family and my mom is getting on in years,  I decided to carry the torch. It is funny how priorities change!

What do you do for Easter? How do you celebrate?

17 comments:

  1. You are right about Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake! I used that for my Bug's birthday cake last week and it was fantastic. So chocolate-y good!
    Sounds like you had a great weekend, yay for being spoiled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is funny how a boxed cake could come out so good!

      Delete
  2. People celebrate Easter in many different ways :)

    I'm catholic, and celebrate in the traditional sense, but don't think my own beliefs should be pushed upon others.

    Happy Easter ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to you too. I hope you enjoyed it. I agree, people do celebrate in many different ways? Did you wear an Easter bonnet? I remember when I was little, I would get one every year and looked forward to showing it off!

      Delete
  3. Easter weekend was just a long weekend to most of us ( I was of course at work couple of days, cause 3-shift job does not stop on holidays). When it was spring equinox I made a quiz to my children, and when they got the right answer they found some chocolate eggs hidden around the house. That was fun. Kids made some branches decorated with feathers. At Finland kids do some trick or treating always week before easter. ~Karoliina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sucks you had to work! That is so cool that you quizzed your kids, I may just steal that idea! I like that you make them work for their treats! It is pretty epic that kids go trick o treating before Easter. I want to move to Finland now!

      Delete
  4. All public holidays are about family for us! A few days off are a good excuse for a get together, although we don't celebrate religious holidays it's nice to have dinner and time with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it is nice to have family time!

      Delete
  5. Agreed completely about appreciating and enjoying seeing how various people chose to celebrate different holidays (as well as practise their beliefs in general). From as far back as I can recall, one of my favourite things to read about has been both religion/spirituality and holidays - whether the two intersect of not.

    Wishing you and your family a fantastic springtime!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I love reading about religion/spirituality and holidays too!

      Delete
  6. Derek and I cleaned out our closets, had a Mai Tai and SPAM sliders in our Tiki bar and then went to a swing dance. Hehehe! No ritual or family, just enjoying the day together :)

    Glad you had a lovely Easter Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You too looked so cute in that photo dancing together!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a great Easter. My parents and brother came over on the Sunday, and brought all the food with them. That's the sort of parties I like to host ;)
    In Norway we get five days off for Easter, and almost everyone goes to the mountains to go skiing. The other main past time is reading crime novels or watching crime series on TV. No one actually knows where this tradition comes from, but it is really huge. There are Easter mysteries everywhere, even printed on the milk cartons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the best parties to host! The reading crime novels and watching crime series on tv is a pretty cool tradition! I love that there are crime mysteries everywhere! Thanks for the comment, that is a pretty neat tradition!

      Delete
  8. Aww I love seeing how other people spend their freetime! My easter weekend was... at work. like every year :-D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...