Friday, March 4, 2016

Body image, weight loss and the potential of a genius offspring

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine shared an article on social media about how women with big butts are more likely to have a genius for an offspring. Like most mothers, my immediate thought was "hey! my kid is going to be the next Albert Einstein!" I don't know how true the article is but for a brief moment, I was grateful for my bubble butt.

Before I got pregnant, my weight fluctuated from 95 to 110 pounds. This was not healthy. In fact, my doctor urged me to get to at least 110 pounds because I was under weight. I was not Anorexic or Bulimic. I was pretty active but I was also a two pack a day smoker at that time. Smoking raises your metabolism.  I was a little twig of a woman and I gained a lot of weight. I gained a little when I stopped smoking before I got pregnant and I obviously gained during my pregnancy. I always had big thighs though and it seems like all my weight went there. It is the hardest area to lose weight.

Taken 2006. I was still smoking then. I don't find this attractive at all.
kinda blurry but taken 2006.



One of the big mistakes I made while working on my thighs was doing too many wall sits, squats, and leg exercises. You see, I turned my fat into muscle and my thighs got bigger not smaller! I now do more cardio and it helps. In fact, this article was a source of inspiration! I also stopped beating myself up over my weight and whether or not I exercised that day.I ditched the scale and started eating healthier instead. That meant no more takeout, no more Chinese food (I love Asian food) and more fresh vegetables with my home cooked meals! I still eat treats but limit myself. It is amazing how much money you can save by buying your own groceries too. I even started looking at the weekly fliers and stocking up on items that go on sale. 

This new found nonchalant attitude and new found better eating habits are enabling me to feel better physically. In fact, every year, I get really sick this time of the year. I usually catch strep, or bronchitis or a sinus infection. Sometimes all 3 (not simultaneously). I hope I am not jinxing this as I am writing it but I have not been sick since December! The last time I did get sick, it was a bad cold that did not turn into an infection!Yes, I still get migraines but despite the current weather changes that triggers them, they have been less frequent.

Due to not tracking my weight fluctuations, and just eating better, I was pleasantly surprised to discover several cool things over the past couple of month:

(1) The belt I bought a couple of years ago that was too small. It fits! On the first notch but it still counts!

(2) My jeans fell down while I had the button and zipper done up! They are too big! These are the jeans!

When I first got them, they needed to be hemmed!

Last summer. The jeans faded! I hate it when that happens!

(3) That belt I mentioned in #1...well... a couple of months later, I realized that I can get it done up on the second notch!

I am a firm believer in an active, healthy lifestyle that works for the individual. What works for me, might not work for you and that is ok. Sometimes, it takes us a while to find our balance.After all, a number on a scale is just a number and it should not be used to determine your sense of self worth. Sometimes a slight change of eating habits and being a little more active makes a huge difference, I know they did for me!

While I honestly doubt I would go back to being 110 pounds,  I want to be healthy for me.  I was never happy or comfortable in an unhealthy lifestyle even back when I was incredibly thin but I am much happier now. I am grateful for that weight gain as the end result was totally worth it;I got my son and now it is helping me take better care of myself.


I know I posted this one here before but I have not had my photo taken recently and I like this one!


7 comments:

  1. You look way healthier now, and happy too! I used to be borderline underweight and people criticized me for it all the time, but I never felt unwell. In fact, I feel worse now that I'm larger. Like I'm bloated all the time.

    I'm trying to work out more but I've always been very weak. I get exhausted just climbing the stairs. I'm not sure if there's some underlying condition that causes this or not, but I get fatigued very easily. I want to switch to cardio and weight lifting. I was doing a lot of the lunges and squats too, but they hurt my legs and make it hard to walk the next two or three days.

    I hope I can get to a place where I have enough muscle that I'm not fatigued, and I lose enough weight that I feel comfortable in my own body (and I can reclaim my old wardrobe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how frustrating it is to hear criticisms when you are under weight or people automatically assume you have an eating disorder! I hear you on getting tired easily. When I was pregnant, I got out of breath going up the stairs. Turns out, I was anemic. In fact, all my life, I was always on the cusp of anemia so if you have not done so already, I recommend you get your iron levels checked. Hope you feel better!

      Delete
  2. I've always been slim except when I was a "puppy fat" baby and after my accident when I stayed in a wheelchair and couldn't move much (and hence couldn't burn calories). I can't say I was an anorexic teen because, yes I did eat too little and was skinny, but I SAW myself as skinny whereas anorexics always see themselves as too fat (dysmorphophobia). Maybe I had EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) Then I realized that undereating increased my depression and one day out of the blue I decided to eat three real consistant meals a day. Now, I said I gained when I was in a wheelchair; I lost the extra pounds in no time without starving at all. But I don't like my thighs, I think I have water retention in this body parts. I bought natural anti water retention pills and try to exercise while eating healthy, limiting - but not cutting - fats, sugars, and carbs. So far it's been working. Now going back to you (sorry for the egocentrical speech lol): It is GREAT that you quit smoking. Smoking is really filthy and unhealthy for you and your kids around. I wouldn't smoke to lose pounds. And you're better with those extra pounds and a smokefree, healthy diet lifestyle. What's most important is what YOU feel about your body and your kindness towards It. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of water retention! I am going to look into that! Thank you! No worries about the ego central speech...I love hearing about other people.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my...you looked so different, I'm not even sure if I would have recognized you on the first photos...^^ There's nothing wrong with your current figure, moreover, you look much healthier now.

    I've always been chubby...well, I still am. But to be completely honest, I'm too lazy to start working out and I just can't give up on sweets and junk food...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks, Lynoire. I dont think you are chubby at all. You look fantastic!

      Delete
  4. The thing that makes a person beautiful is a smile, no matter of weight, as long as you are happy you will always be beautiful ^_^ <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...