Monday, February 15, 2016

The 100th Day Of School

On  this coming Wednesday (incidentally, my birthday) will mark Philip's 100th day of Kindergarten. This does not include ped days, weekends, or Holidays but all the days the children have physically been in school since they started.

All the children in Kindergarten are expected to do a special project to commemorate this event. This is to be worked on at home with their parents. The theme of the project is 100 and they requested to not bring in 100 pennies (we don't have those anymore here in Canada, anyways) because it is too heavy for them. Anything that is easily transported and if we use a Bristol board, to cut it in half. I guess some parents went overboard in the past.

On Wednesday, the children will take 100 steps (counting out loud as they go) that will lead them by the front entrance, which is right next to the school gym where all their projects will be displayed. The nice thing is, us parents are invited to come take a look at them!

Originally, we were going to do a Scooby Doo theme since he is still obsessed with the show but he changed his mind. He wanted a school theme instead so we went on Pinterest and found some great ideas.

Philip chose this on his own. I did not prompt him in any shape, way or form. I swear. Now you can see why I am so darned proud. Baby Bat for the win!




The project itself is easy and fun to do. Considering he is in a bilingual school, meaning, the school board itself is English but all his classes are in French, we thought it would be appropriate to write "The 100th Day Of School" in French. The monster is also holding a French book. Philip drew a "bat boy" on the cover and decorated with some zombie hands because he thought it would look cool!

 
He requested the bat! I am so proud. This was HIS idea!

Bat Boy!
Zombie hand!


I noticed a huge improvement with his writing. The letters are smaller. There is another zombie hand underneath. I like it because it looks like it is flipping people off!

My mom does a lot of crafts and had tons of those googly eyes and she offered them to us. We went to go get them Saturday since we were near her place. I was taking Philip to get his hair cut and the children's hairdresser is in her part of town. The kid is only 5 and already rebelling. He wanted a "smart cut" whatever the hell that means and no more "morehawks" as he calls them. He also made it very clear that he wanted it cut as he just "couldn't deal with it anymore!"

My mom can be a delight but sometimes I feel like I have two kids to look after whenever I am with her! She means well but by the end of the afternoon, I was exhausted from all her old lady energy and wanted to go home. It came as no surprise that I didn't notice the bottle of glue she gave us to go with those eyeballs. In fact, I forgot the eyes and the glue in my car overnight and the temperature plummeted well below 30c (-22 Fahrenheit) and by the time I remembered on Sunday morning, the glue had frozen solid! I also had Valentine cards and chocolates hidden in the trunk which I also kept out overnight night and they also froze. As for the cards, my husband, Jay was understanding. I guess he learned to expect these sort of things from me over the years. I bet my goofiness keeps our relationship interesting. He never knows what to expect. In fact, several years ago, on Valentines Day he was really happy with my generous gift I got him. I think it was an expensive video game or something. I caved and told him how bad I felt because I originally bought him a box of chocolate but the temptation got the better of me. I ate the whole box! He still laughs at me over it. Philip and I love chocolate and we can never keep it in the house, hence why the chocolate remained in my car, overnight. They were for Philip. The card was somewhat ruined but the chocolates were still good! For those wondering, the glue thawed out and we were still able to use it.

It's the thought that counts, right?

 
Now, back to the project. We counted 100 eyeballs and glued them on. I got pissed off at my cat Merry who kept on trying to walk all over the Bristol board! What is it with cats? The smart idea would have been to work on the kitchen table but we were more comfortable on the living room floor! By the end of it, our fingers were stuck together! It was a good thing it wasn't crazy glue!

I was grateful for this project as it gave me time to bond with Philip. I also realized how anal I can be and had to mentally remind myself that it was HIS project. Let him do it the way he wants! We did not do it all in one afternoon so it was nice to spend some time with him all week working together on something. He is growing up too darned fast!


Look, Ma. No hands!



11 comments:

  1. 100 eyed monster! Love it! I wonder if the kids who used to do the 100 penny thing staggered into school or someone was nearly crushed by the board, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Some of the parents were bringing in projects this morning. I can see what the teacher meant. I was impressed but felt a little sad. Philip`s is no where near as extravagant as some of them but in a way, he has reason to be proud of his. I just drew the pictures. He colored them and glued most of the eyeballs!

      Delete
  2. He is so darn cute and I love his project! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meagan! I love his project. I was so proud he chose to do a monster and wanted me to draw a bat for him. I love his personal touches. Zombie hands!

      Delete
  3. Good handwriting, I am sure the more time you spend with him the better he will do at school, One of my step sons has a 4 ½ year old who`s handwriting is far better than my other step sons, step son who is 8. This is due to the time they spend with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, Appy. I practice a little with him. Now the teacher has given us homework where he needs to write things, I am happy. I also make him write extra things on his assignment. i used to write the date for him but now he does it on his own. He needs to improve on his hand muscles. He has difficulty holding a pencil and cutting. I dont know if it has to do with him being left handed or now. He needs some extra help but I think it is also due to him being the youngest in his class. All the other kids are 6 or turning 6. he just turned 5. Got to love September babies!

      Delete
  4. My son brought in a bag of 100 macaronis for his 100-day project. Your's is way cooler! And even if our fingers itch to make the "perfect" projects for our kids it is really better to let them do things themselves.

    I love that you ate up all the chocolates you bought for your husband! I would probably do the same. I have secret stashes of chocolate hidden around the house, but my kids have started to notice and keep asking if they can have some.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...