Sunday, February 14, 2016

5th Annual Vampire's Day Soirée


http://www.hollyshorrorland.com/2016/01/calling-all-vampire-lovers.html?showComment=1455498254578#c8302465229343007531

"In the beginning there was only Caine
Caine who sacrificed his brother out of love
Caine who was cast out
Caine who was cursed forever with immortality
Caine who was cursed with the lust for blood,
It is Caine from whom we all come,
Our Sire's Sire."
- The Book Of Nod



Last year, I participated in Holly's Vampire Soirée and I am participating again this year! Last year,  I wrote about an animé I watched called Vampire Knight. This year, I figured I would geek out even more by writing about the Book Of Nod.


Image source

Essentially, The Book Of Nod was created as a back story or as setting material for the role playing game Vampire, The Masquerade. To be honest, I never really took an interest in the game with the exception of a very brief time that I participated. I was very young and I was in hopes of finding a cute little goth boy to bite my neck! I wasn't so fortunate but I got to experience my first and last real gaming session. For those curious, I played a Toreador, haha! To be honest, role playing games are not for me although I find the concept really cool. 

lilith's magick


I remember a friend lending me his copy of The Book Of Nod and I was enthralled with it. I read it like it was a piece of fiction and not as an actual guideline for the game!



Image source


It is about where all Vampires began (within the Whitewolf gaming system's point of view, that is) and the story captivated me. The artwork in this book was simply breathtaking and I remember carrying it around every where. The writing is absolutely brilliant and very poetic too.



Image source


15 comments:

  1. I love when you nerd-out.

    Your post reminds me a little of year when I attended the Pop Culture Association conference and presented in the vampire category. One of the guys on my panel was discussing Vampire, The Masquerade in a very academic way. During the Q&A section, Professor Z's hubby started asking challenging questions and it turns out that the presenter never even played! Ugh.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that guy didn't know what to do with himself! Sylvie, HE NEVER PLAYED. Can you imagine someone presenting on Vampire who just watched one LARP but never played the game himself!!! You know that you can't WATCH AN RPG, it just wouldn't make any sense. HA! You would have loved Ed's response: picture a 44 year old, long haired guy in all black sitting in the audience grumbling and audibly gasping at every word. When it was time for questions, Ed really laid it on ... and when he found out the kid didn't play, Ed made this guttural noise that sent Goth Gardener into giggles. It was a classic old geek moment.

      I was wondering if you were going to do a Vampire post on Whitewolf. Good choice.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much. It is always very entertaining to watch or hear someone nerd rage over things :p

      Delete
  2. There is truly something special about 90s white wolf art. I've played many editions of Vampire, but the original v:tm is my favorite (though the 2e requiem is pretty awesome. It doesn't have as cool a back story as vtm, but the game system is more fun to play imo. If you didn't like the old game because of the mechanics, you might want to give the new one a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I don't know if it is my cup of tea and if I have time or the money to take on another hobby but thanks for the suggestion. I may just go check out a few books when my husband drags me to the store with him. He plays D&D and never got into VTM.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I used to play Vampire: The Masquarade and Vampire: Dark Ages a lot, we also had LARP events and I also have this book. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynoire, I wish you would live closer. You are one cool chick!

      Delete
  4. Interesting I`ll try and find a copy. I have never done any role playing games, however, in real-life, I do seem to surround myself by people who could be characters from Harry Potter or Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! We have a term for people who dress up as their favourite characters. We call it cosplay! One of these days I am going to cosplay as The Doctor just gender bend. The only time you will see me in colors!

      Delete
    2. No I didn`t mean as in cosplay, I meant more in my somewhat warped mind, like the Gamekeeper I know is really big and I think like Hagrid. I have friends ‘like’ Bellatrix Lestrange, Severus Snape and there’s a chap in my caravanning group who as a very short neck, round face and bald head so reminds me of Starx from Dr. Who. But that`s just me.

      Delete
    3. Hahahaha! That sounds awesome!

      Delete
  5. I've always wanted to play Vampire, The Masquerade. I need to read this book. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thank you for hosting this event, Holly. It was a lot of fun! I already have an idea for next year :)

      Delete
  6. I've played Vampire a few times (many years ago), but never read this book. The art work does look amazing, so I think I will have a look for it next time I'm at the gamin shop.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...