Monday, January 18, 2016

Blue Monday

I learned something new today. Did you know that today is Blue Monday? Well, I didn't! Apparently, the third Monday of January is considered Blue Monday. This Holiday was created in the UK because it is apparently the most depressing day of the year. The inspiration for the Holiday came from  some calculations of weather results and debt levels. There was no real research involved and no real basis in science but the idea caught on.

Normally, I would just scoff about it, think the idea is stupid and go about my daily life but I must admit, I feel really bummed out today. I spent too much money at Christmas and my car needed some major repairs. I am not talking about a couple of hundred  dollars here. The bills are coming in and while I was planning to get a tattoo for my birthday next month, I am unsure whether or not that will be possible. I mean, I usually get sick on my birthday but it would suck the big one if I managed to not get sick but not be able to afford some new ink.

I know, I know, these are first world problems and I should be grateful for what I have. I also do realize that tattoos are a luxury. I am just mad over the fact that I am dishing out a lot of money on rent and well the landlady won't do any repairs. I get a panic attack when I do have to deal with her because every time we address an issue, we get blamed for not taking care of the apartment and we get yelled at. I had to hang up on her once. We are planning on moving and the only reason why we have not done so sooner was because we didn't want to make too many changes at one time in Philip's life with him starting kindergarten and all.

So yes, this is indeed a depressing day. All the bills are coming in and I have no fun money. It sucks when you bust your ass at your job and your paycheque is going towards boring stuff. When I was a kid, I wanted so much to be an adult, I thought I could do whatever I wanted! This adult stuff really sucks!

Trying to be positive, I think I looked rather nice today despite being a cry baby! The skirt is a lot of fun because it has pockets! I wore a plain shirt with a sheer one on top and a pair of leggings to keep me warm.








16 comments:

  1. Lovely winter outfit and I love this post. I had no idea it was Blue Monday today, which also coincides with the subject of my own blog post (as you already know). And WTF is up with your landlady?! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your landlady is lazy. Being a landlord/landlady isn't all about collecting rent checks. Couldn't you threaten to sue her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, she will do the bare minimum like fix a plumnbing issue. Just sometimes, like when the garage door broke (came off the hinges because it is old) she flipped out at us and accused us of not taking care of things. She does this everytime something goes wrong. Sheflips out, yells, we hang up on her then the next day, she acts like your BFF. it is really odd. Perhaps it is menopause or something?

      Delete
    2. Offer to buy her some menopause meds. >D

      Delete
  3. Despite being from the UK, I had not idea was Blue Monday. Today, has felt like a crappy day, and the contribution of lady problems doesn't help.

    Personally, I would report you land lady to your local council, then again not sure of the law in Canada. In the UK any essential problems that requiring fixing the land lord has duty of care to sort it. If not you can report it to the local council. Personally, I think private Land Lord are scum of the earth and not a large amount of protection for tenants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, she will do the bare minimum like fix a plumnbing issue. Just sometimes, like when the garage door broke (came off the hinges because it is old) she flipped out at us and accused us of not taking care of things. She does this everytime something goes wrong. Sheflips out, yells, we hang up on her then the next day, she acts like your BFF. it is really odd. Perhaps it is menopause or something? She knows the law and finds loopholes. As for the Holiday, it was created a couple of years ago. I only found out about it from a coworker

      Delete
  4. You looked really cute, I love skirts with pockets. ^^
    Ehh...your landlady is crazy, I had one just like her, so I totally feel you...:/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool outfit! I was at work last night talking about blue Monday and it was ironic because the pub was bustling and the folk band playing was putting everyone in a great mood! But in all fairness I feel your stress, I hate moving house! I'm starting a new tattoo soon and was really iffy on whether I'd afford it or not, but as mums we deserve the little luxuries when we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We deserve a gold star for some of the crap we deal with on a daily basis. If you do get your tattoo, I hope we can see pictures of it :)

      Delete
  6. I'm really sorry that you've been dealing with a lot of less-than-fun elements of adulthood as of late (so true about wanting to grow up, only to then yearn for the simpler days of childhood) and hope that things - including when you look for a new home - work out for you soon, sweet gal.

    I've never experienced January in the UK (though did when I lived in Ireland, which, objectively would be similar to some parts of the UK), but for me personally here in Canada, I tend to think February or a chilly March is more depressing/hard to deal with any longer (even if one enjoys, as I do, a lot of different element of this season).

    Sending positive vibes your way from snowy Penticton,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you very much, Jessica. That is very sweet of you! Reading your comment put a smile on my face!

      Delete
  7. I heard it mentioned a few times on the radio here in the UK, but no one played the song! and just to depress us more it`s not a holiday even!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd heard it was Blue Monday ... felt like a normal day to me! I hate that feeling of not having any fun money. Inevitably, that's the time I find something I'd really like to buy! I hope you can still afford to get your tattoo for your birthday, but in the meantime you do look really cute in that outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you're having a bad time moneywise but hoping everything will turn better soon! And love that outfit (hummm maybe even my fav of those that you shared on your blog ^_^°) never heard about blue monday though!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...