Wednesday, December 30, 2015

5 Fun alcoholic beverages for the darkly inclined

With New Year's around the corner and having an Irish husband, I got inspired to write about alcohol. What kind of drinks do us gothic people enjoy? Well, I compiled a list! If I may have forgotten anything, please comment!

(1) Absinthe (AKA The Green Fairy) - Obviously, I have to start with this one as it is my favorite! Being extremely high in alcohol content and the color green, this is my drink of choice! Drinking absinthe is not simple. You cannot just simply unscrew the bottle and pour the booze in a glass (or if you are a classy gal like me, drink straight from the bottle.) How do you drink absinthe? Well, you would need to first pour a very small amount into a glass. Afterwards, you will need a special spoon that is perforated to be placed over the glass. Take a sugar cube and then place it on the spoon. Pour water over it.  The water dissolves the sugar into the glass. This not only dilutes the drink but makes it sweeter. With the high alcohol content, you need to dilute this in order to be able to drink it easily.  It smells and tastes like licorice!

image source

Image source
(2) Chartreuse - I was first introduced to this drink when I was a babybat in my late teens from reading Poppy Z Brite's novel, Lost Souls. Apparently, this drink comes in two colors; green and yellow. I never personally tried the yellow kind but the green was excellent. It has a strong, spicy flavor, similar to Absinthe. The drink has been been around since 1737 made by the Carthusian monks.

(3) Mead -  It is made from fermented honey and water. Sometimes fruit or hopps are added and according to Wikipedia, it is known as the "ancestor of all fermented drinks." Here in Montreal, we can find mead at the local SAAQ (liquor store) as well as at the Jean-Talon Market. Sometimes, if I am lucky, I can find a fruit-flavored mead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

image source

(4) Bloody Mary - A couple of my friends will order this drink while we are out. I guess they order it due to the title and because it most probably resembles blood. Personally, this is not my drink of choice as one of it's main ingredients is tomato juice (yuck!).

(5) Sangria - One of my personal favorites. This cocktail reminds me of summertime, where one could find me in my backyard or on a terrace somewhere sharing a pitcher of this drink. In fact, this is definitely my go-to beverage during the summer months. According to Wikipedia, Sangria is from Ireland, Spain, and Portugal. It normally consists of red wine, chopped fruit, and brandy. I chose this beverage to add to my list because of the name. In french, the word "sang" means blood and well the drink is a dark red color. I was not too far off the mark there because according to Wikipedia, the drink was named after the Spanish and Portuguese word for bleeding!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangria

This is it. I am pretty sure there maybe beers out there that could be considered a Gothic drink but I am not a beer fan, personally. When I do go out, I like a nice glass of red wine, sangria (obviously) or I order a flavored Martini.I prefer hard liquor!

20 comments:

  1. I love making (and drinking) Sangria!

    To your list, I would add Kraken (black spiced rum) and Cognac because Poe drank it and he was pretty darn darkly inclined ;D

    Also I would add Aperol, an aperitif which includes bitter orange and rhubarb, but just because I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes! I knew I was leaving something out. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Mead is a personal favorite of mine, but Merlot is another great Gothy drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which then makes me think of Pinot Noir... because of the Noir ;)

      Delete
  3. Excellent post - I personally prefer Champagne and Chambord - so delicious. I have always wanted to try absinthe but am a little scared of getting to sh*t faced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah that stuff will mess you up

      Delete
  4. I can't stand licorice/anise so no Absinthe for me, though I would love to look all cool setting it on fire and stuff :) Mead on the other hand, that's a favorite. And Sangria, when I can be bothered making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate licorice as a food but I quite liked Absinthe, it tasted more like liquid fire to me ha ha. So burny! And the whole rigmarole of preparing it is so elegant!

      Delete
  5. Ha ha, you are right there with absinthe, with my sensitive stomach it was definitely good for getting drunk quick before the nausea kicked in, although with my sensitive stomach I just don't drink at all now. Sangria was the only wine I ever had that I kind of liked the taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jeez, that sucks! I am careful when I drink as it triggers migraines.

      Delete
  6. Such classic, beautiful beverages. Thank you for the lovely roundup!

    Have a truly fantastic, fun filled and very happy New Year's celebration!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! There was a couple of drinks that I haven't even thought of and may give them a try. Absinthe is da bomb, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot Snakebite and Black! Mix equal amounts of lager and cider, and then add a dash black current syrup. I don't know if they have it in Canada, but it's quite popular in the UK. But if you don't like beer, I guess this wouldn't really be for you. For New Years Eve we had Gløgg, spiced red wine. Don't know how gothy that is, but it does taste good.

    I hope you had a great celebration, and wishing you all the best for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I had that black current syrup when I was in England. I have seen it in China Town over here but it is diluted. Thanks Karan, all the best to you and your baby bats :)

      Delete
  9. Absinthe! (Of course bloody mary is great when a bar doesnt have it as well as mead) and my maybe-gothy-newest-love: Mandrake liqueur <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...