Monday, November 30, 2015

Starting off the Holidays - The Christmas train in Montréal-Ouest

I used to be cynical about Christmas time. Before my son was born, I would roll my eyes at the thought of Christmas and pretty much only looked forward to having some time off from work. I could have cared less about the Holidays and would often laugh at people posting cheesy pictures of their trees or decorations on Facebook. I was a Scrooge! If I had my way, I would skip the Holidays all together and do my own thing. No presents, no family, no drama. Just me and my cats! Screw Christmas! Fast forward a couple of years later to when I had Philip. People were right; having children changes you and it makes you do crazy things you never would have imagined before. Next thing I knew, I began to put out outdoor lights, a tree, bake and cook.  Christmas in my home is now celebrated.



When my aunt contacted me earlier this week to invite us to see the "Christmas Train" on Saturday night, I enthusiastically agreed to participate. Apparently, every year, a Christmas train arrives at the train station up the street from her home at the Montréal-Ouest station and it is a whole ordeal. There is live music, BBQs, inflatable rides for the kids, etc.This event is free but they do ask to bring non-perishable food items to donate towards the community's food bank. I think this is a great way to help your local community, especially to those in need! What a great way to get us into the Holiday spirit!

Being a seasoned Canadian, the cold didn't bother us very much except for Philip. He was not only tired, he was hungry and cold. This is never a good combination for a little kid. He had meltdown after meltdown so we left before it officially ended. We did get to see the train pull up and we were amazed by all the decorative lights. We got to see one of the compartments open up where a live band began to play music. Honestly, if I did not have children, I would have never attended but I am glad I did. It was nice seeing the look of amazement on Philip's face (when he wasn't complaining) and I got to relive some of my childhood through him. Despite the few bumps, we all had a wonderful time. Philip still talks about the train and would often comment about going next year but he did make it very clear to us that doesn't want to stay outside too long!

All happy to be treated to a Mcdonald's Happy Meal and in the warmth after seeing the train!

By this smile, one would have never believed he had a major meltdown from being cold and hungry!

For those wondering, I found this clip on Youtube. It is from last year but the decorations on the train are the same. We will probably go back next year and freeze our butts off all over again!




12 comments:

  1. Lots of long underwear for Phillip next year! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a magical experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in North Bay! Waving! I hear you! Now the grandkids are keeping me " Magikal ". I do chuckle watching my kids ( now parents) do things they pooh, poohed over not to long ago! Great memory" the Train". priceless!
    Keep smiling young Mom".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My mom loves doing that too or when karma bites me in the butt like when Philip does things to me that I used to put my mom through!

      Delete
  4. I've never been to see the train in person either ... I'm like Philip. I don't want to be cold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like fun! Poor Philip. Really bad combination for a kid on an evening out. Hopefully he will enjoy it more next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats some amazing event! Love to see what people think of to make kids happy :-D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...