Friday, November 20, 2015

My normal vs mainstream normal

Back when I dressed like everyone else and no longer wore gothic clothing, there were still visible undertones. If I wasn't wearing something on my body that would make someone point out my goth roots, I had something in my home that would make people stop and wonder. These things were always normal to me but not to everyone else.

I have all sorts of friends. Some goth, some are geeky (sometimes being geeky and goth go hand in hand) and a lot of them are not goth. They can be considered normal or mainstream but we get a long and some of these folks are close friends of mine.

The non-gothic folk always amuse me. I know it may sound like I am mocking them but in reality, I find it endearing, even cute on how they sometimes perceive things and sometimes, conversations with non-gothic folk can be very interesting. I learn about things they are passionate about and sometimes their passions differ from mine. I always welcome a good conversation and when someone is talking about an interest that is different from mine, (unless they are talking about a hockey game or baseball game they watched on tv then my eyes glaze over) I welcome these conversations. It is something out of my ordinary.

October rolls around and a friend of mine gets all depressed because it signals the end of summer and winter is around the corner. I, on the other hand, is welcoming October with open arms. I do not like the heat. I do not like the sun. I do not like summer. At all. I love fall. The leaves are changing colors, the temperatures are not so hot and life just gets better. Halloween is just around the corner!


Obviously this friend of mine doesn't quite get my love for Halloween and I find this depressing so I give the person a bunch of fun Halloween stuff, as a gift. Here I am hoping to spread joy and am innocently thinking that this would be the coolest gift in the world!

Halloween rolls around. I am all happy and shit. A couple of days later, my friend returns all the Halloween décor. The reason why: It put me in the spirit but now I have no use for it.Wait? What? You have no use for it? Whaaaat? I was completely gobsmacked when it was mentioned I could put it with my Halloween stuff to use for next year.... I usually keep most of these things out ALL YEAR ROUND and have a few items (the annoying or breakable ones) that do get stored away for the following year.  I have very few articles that I actually I put out to decorate for Halloween. Most of it is everyday household items. In fact, if I wasn't working as a receptionist that needs to keep a professional looking front entrance, most of that shit would be out on my desk year long! How can you NOT want some cool, kitschy Halloween stuff? What's wrong with you?

I was stumped. I keep forgetting that not everyone sees things the way I do! Non-gothic people can amuse me at times. Got to love the well meaning normals! It was just too cute. Who doesn't NEED Halloween decorations, really???? So darling like-minded readers, the following meme (see below) is dedicated to you: 

It's just like Ministry said, darklings, when you're a goth, "Everyday is Halloween"!!

17 comments:

  1. You don't give back or get rid of Halloween decorations. That's like throwing away your Christmas lights after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you don't have to be goth to love Halloween! There's an exec here who runs the office Halloween party, and if you go to her office for a meeting, you're sharing the space with a full skeleton, bats, and a bucket of Halloween candy. All year round.

      Delete
    2. That's a valid point. I love seeing non-goths appreciate the Holiday!

      Delete
  2. I've just blown your mind. *disappears in a puff of smoke*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not goth but I love Halloween. Apart from last year when I was in hospital, I always dress up, buy and give away candy. I decorate the living room with pumpkin candlejars, fake spooky insects or animals, skulls etc...
    But when it's over, Christmas decor is in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha I love this! This is how I feel a lot with people! I am lucky that most of my friends also dislike summer, goth or not, but when some people are going on about how excited they are, me and the other pale people are cringing at the thought of sunburn! those of Celtic background were not made to live in Australia!

    My boyfriend is not big on kitschy or Gothy stuff, but luckily he is in line with my future wishes for an elegant Victorian styled decor, although we do not currently have the money for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I love Victorian styled decor!

      Delete
  5. I love this! I feel exactly the same and have been told to take the bats down from my window because Halloween is over! Every day IS Halloween. Except the real Halloween feels more special, on Halloween I get the same excited feeling I used to get about Christmas as a child. I always forget what other people consider normal is pretty much the opposite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is the same for me too. Halloween is extra special

      Delete
  6. Just like I have a box of Christmas stuff, I have a box of Halloween stuff. Some things might not get in the box, they stop out, but that's not the point. Meanwhile my loves Halloween and all the decorations etc. but she is not a Goth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband took down the last of my Halloween decorations yesterday :( But that just means I get to break out the Christmas decorations instead!

    On a completely unrelated note, and because I know you will appreciate it: My 5-year old declared herself a goth the other day! *total melts*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, although I'm not goth I relate to this. I volunteered some of my Halloween stuff to my brother's family when they said they were hosting a Halloween dinner, but they couldn't really be bothered..! Their house is white on blonde, like most of Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Humm, you make me wonder what people who visit me think when they first step inside my flat. black, bats, spiderwebs, pumpkins,... everywhere... but actually they seem to be more confused by the huge tent in my living room :-D but your friends sound entertaining (in a good way...)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...