Monday, November 2, 2015

Honoring the dead on Halloween

This year's Halloween is going to stand out for a very long time, probably for the rest of my life. It all began when I went to my mom's house to decorate her home. She was so happy to have us over for dinner that she even contributed in making Halloween special for me by making me a pumpkin pie! Not only did she spoil us with "mommy food" (ie. treats) she allowed me to make a mess! I carved a pumpkin and decorated the outside of her home! She got lots of trick or treaters too and she seemed happy to be giving away candy.

My mommy and my Jack O Lantern!





Having eaten far too much, we welcomed the exercise as we set about the neighborhood trick or treating. By visiting old neighbors and houses with my son brought back memories from when I was a child on Halloween. I remembered some of the costumes I wore and I got to relive the excitement I had over the Holiday when I was a child. We will be definitely going back to my old neighborhood next year, my son got loads of candy too. People were quite generous.

One of the homes while trick or treating

One particular home did not get many visitors. In fact, we would have missed it if it weren't for my son's flashlight shinning on the non-decorated pumpkins on the front yard. We decided to ring the doorbell nonetheless. A tall slender elderly gentleman answered the door. He gave Philip candy and then asked him to wait for a moment. As a parent, this momentarily raised a red flag but what he did next made my night. He gave Philip a plush teddy bear. I told him that it was not necessary, that it was very kind of him to give candy to the trick or treaters. This is where the man told me that his wife passed away a year ago. She used to collect teddy bears and told him that if anything should ever happen to her, to please give them to small children in her honor. I offered my condolences and we thanked the gentlemen. I must have cried for a good five minutes afterwards.

This is the teddy bear. 

It is believed that the veil between the land of the dead and the land of the living is lifted on Halloween. Our ancestors used to honor the dead on this day and originally we would wear costumes to welcome the dead. This nice man found a beautiful way to honor his wife's memory on Halloween.

How was your Halloween?

14 comments:

  1. That is, by far, one of the most touchingly special Halloween stories I've ever heard. I teared up, too. How beautiful that you and your son got to experience such a poignant bridge between the two worlds.

    Many hugs & joyful start of November wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jessica. You're too kind

      Delete
  2. You got my feels acting up again. Damn you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so lovely! Feeling emotional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet old man. This story makes me happy and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet gentleman, and such a wonderful gesture. Tthe story of his belated wife brought tears to my eyes.

    Your pumpkin looks really creepy, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that teddy bear story made me cry from reading <3 thats amazing.your halloween seems to have gotten better every hour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a NICE thing to do to make children happy and honor his wife at the same time! I hope something special happens to that man to make this year a good one for him.

    And I love your scary pumpkin!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so now I'm crying! What a beautiful gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was so beautiful! Now you made me cry at work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful story - I feel a tear coming on right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice I`m sure you will look after the teddy and remember the old gentleman for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...