Monday, October 12, 2015

Thanksgiving, Gothic style

My son, Philip is learning about Thanksgiving in school and when he came home to inquire about how my family celebrates the Holiday, I felt like I needed to do something. For those in the US wondering what is going on, Canada celebrates the Holiday before you guys.

In the past, my mom used to cook a meal with all the trimmings but since my family is pretty much scattered throughout Canada and some in the US, we no longer celebrate. My mom is also getting on in years and in my opinion, someone else should carry the torch. That someone is me....oh goody! I did not really want to cook a meal but I did it for Philip and am glad that I decided to do so.

I am current fighting off a cold, once again and am hoping beyond all hope it doesn't turn into another infection like it always does. I also work full time and am trying to care for a very clingy kid. It seems that since my son started kindergarten last month, he is super clingy when he is home with me. I do coddle him. Some may say I do it a little too much. I think he needs the comfort and am well aware that one day, he will soon grow out of it and I will miss giving him so much affection so I am taking advantage of his clinginess. I was in no mood to cook a big meal.

I figured having a Thanksgiving meal on the Sunday night as opposed to Monday was ideal. I got the extra day of rest and the extra day to catch up on all those dishes.

Considering my family is super easy going, I decided against using the good china, after all, I was in survival mode. I also did not make turkey because last year, we had it until Christmas and were sick of it! I made a roasted chicken instead with sweet potatoes and a Cesar salad. I was originally going to make a cake but my mom saved my ass on that one by bringing these cute Halloween themed cupcakes she bought from the local grocery store.

My husband got used to my family and our weirdness. Unlike his side of the family who tend to lean a little more towards the conservative side, we are loud, boisterous, we have inappropriate conversations  at the dinner table but it is all fun. My family is so used to my quirks and never expected the good china or a big doo anyways. They didn't care that we were cramped in my kitchen or whether or not the dishes matched, which they didn't by the way. We just enjoyed each others company.

After the meal, my niece and I were on Facebook admiring all the beautiful place settings our friends did. I laughed and remarked my table. My niece pointed out the bottle of blood, the candlebra, and my skull filled with hot sauce that I leave on my table year round. We were highly amused  over the fact that we forgot to remove them. Somehow, those objects would seem out of place in the homes of the more normal people for Thanksgiving but were the perfect centerpiece on my kitchen table. I immediately snapped photos of my sink filled with dishes and the table setting I have to post on Facebook. Now I am going to post them here. I want all my friends, readers, and distant family members to see how I celebrated Thanksgiving, Sylvie style. How despite the lack of tradition and fanciness, we had a great meal. That is something to be thankful for.



I just noticed there is a hand in the picture and my collar is on the table. I took it off during the meal, haha!


P.S. Those dishes (aside from my wine glasses) went in my dishwasher. Screw hand washing them!

24 comments:

  1. Having Thanksgiving now makes more sense in my opinion. Do you all not get a day off work to celebrate? I mean most Americans have off for Columbus Day except me but still...

    I completely understand about taking over the tradition. It's been passed down to me and although I'm vegetarian I make a turkey for my folks. I make jokes that if it's undercooked it's no big deal because I'm not making it but really I always try hard to make everything nice... But also real. I'm learning this semester that my house doesn't need to be perfect. It can looked lived in.

    I love the mysterious hand :p

    Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Halloween! See, they totally go :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks you didn't get Columbus day off. I got yesterday (Monday) off and it was nice. I relaxed!

      I learned once I had Philip that it is OK to let the house go a little and take time for me. It has helped a lot with anxiety and stress. Thanks for the well wishes, Happy Halloween to you too and if I don't get a chance to do so in November, Happy Thanksgiving

      Delete
  2. The blood is a nice touch - I think if our Thanksgiving was before Halloween, I would do more of a gothic style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you guys had it earlier. That's cool. Better weather, you get to have your Halloween decorations up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have too many Halloween decorations to be up since I keep them all year long

      Delete
  4. Did you have cranberry sauce? It's not Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I did not but I do make it for Christmas though

      Delete
  5. Food photography and posh styling? Sylvie had a better idea for a post;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that your family and mine would have a great time together! During our annual family gatherings around Christmas, so far my brother cooked dumplings which fused together into such a big heap that we all had to eat them rigth from the pot. My mum stumbled over a cat and threw the chicken over the table into the curtains where it was rescued from said cat by heavy use of meat forks. I had a table breakdown while hosting it. My uncle, who is this year's host, is facing high expectations... ^^ We always have a lot of fun together and those stories are often retold, much better than a pretty table with fancy decorations but nothing to talk about. And I love your setup with the chili skull and chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I think our families combined definiftely would have an awesome time. Thanks for the comment, you made me smile!

      Delete
    2. OMG, that is hysterical!!! I completely lost it here at work just now while reading about your mom throwing the chicken into the curtains when falling over the cat! ROFLMAO!!!! I think I would LOVE to come to your next dinner party!!!

      Delete
  7. I would very much like to take part in a Sylvie style thanksgiving, it sounds fun!

    I don't think it's wrong to coddle a child if you still let them grow up, make friends and think for themselves! I will always remember feeling loved as a child! It is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post!!! Isn't it fascinating how US Thanksgiving is largely universally known, but few folks outside of Canada - American included, in my experience - know that we have a Thanksgiving in this beautiful nation or ours as well? As with so many Canadian things, we need better PR work on that front. :D

    Big hugs & super happy countdown to Halloween wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking oh no, that poor girl has to do all those dishes by hand ... and then I got to the last line. A dishwasher is something to be thankful for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL There is another reason why I didn't bring out the good China :) A dishwasher is definitely something I am most thankful for!

      Delete
  11. It sounds like you had a perfect Thanksgiving. After all it's abut bringing the family together for a good time, not about the fancy centerpieces and who made the biggest turkey.

    I tried saying that I did not want to be responsible for taking over the Christmas traditions in our family, but every year no one else did either, so we all ended up at my house anyway. Now I've given up and just accepted that I will be the one in charge of Christmas dinners for the next 10 years or so. At least I can start planing early, rather than having it dumped on me at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like great fun! And you and Kara are both right; it's not about the fanciest table decorations or the biggest turkey, it's about spending time with family and friends, and being thankful for what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess I love your entire family now ^_^ I think most holidays are made to spend time with your loved ones so no need for expensive stuff as plates or on top of them (I guess it could even feel special with ordering some pizza when the right people are spending that meal together!) Also, nothing wrong with cuddling with your son as much and as long as you both like it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...