Monday, September 14, 2015

WTF am I going to put in my kid's lunch?

I seriously called up my mom and apologized for being such a pain in the ass when I was a kid. Karma works in funny ways! For the record, my son's school does have a hot lunch program but most of the meals he won't eat and well, it's expensive! My son also likes the independence of bringing his own lunch just like his mom and dad.  I am thinking the hot lunch program might be an option for when he is in the higher grades but for now, he is quite contempt with his Minion lunch bag to bring food into school everyday.

For me, this can cause a slight headache and can be somewhat of a nuisance because he refuses to eat sandwiches. They could be wraps, subs, burgers even and nope, he won't touch it! So I resorted into putting some cold cuts, Ritz crackers (forget those Vegetable Thins and other kinds because they are gross, mommy!) and tons of fruit. I add a juice box, his water bottle (reusable, BPA free!) a Rice Krispies square bar and some raw veggies. Don't forget those apple sauces in the squeezable packs; I swear, they are like crack for kids! I sometimes include those little packets of raisins too. Surprisingly enough, he eats everything but he is at school all day and we got to work, which means he needs an extra afternoon school snack for the after school program. Sometimes, I even add Goldfish crackers too. I did sign him up to get monthly pizza and frozen yogurts (separate from hot lunch program). It's cheaper and the proceeds  help with school funding.  What do we do on the other days?

gogosqueez.com

I am not the whole mom who goes on Pinterest and gets inspired by or copies bento lunch boxes either. I don't have time or patience for that! I did find some practical recipes on these sites (see below). I cannot follow any recipe that contains nuts  as there are some kids in his class with allergies. So if you have a picky eater like I do and don't want to spend a lot of time making lunches (seriously, he has homework to do and I got videogames to play!) maybe these easy ideas would be useful or you could find inspiration from!





Also, since this whole going to school thing and being independent with his lunch is new, I wanted to make it fun for him. I was at the Dollar Store the other day and noticed they came out with Halloween stuff. Look at these cool sandwich/snack bags I found! I put some in his lunch and he came home today all excited. If I remember correctly, the Dollar Store also carries Christmas and Easter ones too. I think having fun stuff in the lunch entices his appetite too.

 Parents/ Students: any ideas or tips you have that you wouldn't mind sharing?





15 comments:

  1. Lol my mother used to pack my favorite blood salami and rye. And then I got tired of being the weird foreign kid and just went on the hot lunch program, which I loved. I still have a craving for those burritos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am hoping as he gets older, he will start asking for that. I think most kids at that age are not on the hot lunch program but I am waiting for him to come home to make requests. I think right now it is the whole "I am grown up like mom and dad. Im bagging my lunch!" thing . Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  2. Well my daughter's 19 now, and makes her own packed lunch for uni! (thankfully)

    I was always a worry, wondering if she'd even eaten her packed lunch or just shared it amongst friends.

    You're doing everything right, you're making it fun and nutritious. I bet he's one happy little boy ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that too but he told me that he sometimes shares his things but most of the time, he eats it LOL. Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to not always put the same old, same old in his lunch so he doesn't get tired of one thing too quickly.

      Delete
  3. I know that you said he isn't a fan of wraps, but what about ones made with things like rice paper wrappers, lettuce leaves, or corn tortilla instead of (flour based) wraps? Waffles, pancakes, crepes, and even French toast (assuming it's kept at a safe temperature for the egg used in its batter) can be great bread/sandwich alternatives. Jam, nut butter alternatives (such as seed butters), fresh fruit, and maple syrup all hold up well usually or can be provided in a small container on the side.

    Have you tried pitas with him? Perhaps he'd like those instead of bread or wraps. Sandwiches are handy, but not a must for school at all. Rice crackers, rice cakes, corn chips, taco shells (filled or unfilled), pita chips, kale chips, veggie chips, baked potato chips, quinoa chips, and other similar things, with or without a dip, could be good choices, too. What about going the old school route and sending him with a thermos of something warm and filling, such as soup, stew, chowder, baked beans, curry, pasta (hot or cold), a rice dish, or chili?

    Does he eat salads? Be they lettuce, baby spinach or more substantial vegetable bases, they can be a filling option (pack the dressing on the side so it doesn't cause the greens/veggies to get to soggy).

    A baked potato or sweet potato is filling and nutritious and holds up well. If he's a fan, that could be a handy sandwich alternative, too (accompanied by whatever toppings he enjoys on them).

    Just a few quick ideas off the top of my head. Hopefully there's something you can use amongst them. :)

    Good luck!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are wonderful suggestions, thanks Jessica. I have never considered the thermos uption (its still bloody hot out here). I was lucky, in Elementary school, I went home for lunch but usually brought a bag lunch in high school. My last year of High School. we had a caf with microwaves so I was able to bring warm up meals!

      Delete
  4. I can`t remember what I used to eat as a child up to about 10. I lived very close to my first school so went home for lunch, big school I had to stay. I really hope your son as a happier time at school than I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Appy. I hope he has a better time in school than I did. I did read the school's "stop bullying" prgram and while I am not 100% confident that it would work, I do have better faith now then when I was in school. I remember in Elementary school I went home for lunch and usually bagged a sandwich in High School.

      Delete
  5. How about having HIM choose what he wants for lunch each week? When you go to the store, have him pick out the things that look/sound good to him, even if it seems weird to you. He'll probably get a kick out of it, and if he ever complains, you can remind him that "you chose it"! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did that too and gave him that line! Now when I do go back, I am going to give him the line "remember, if you don't like it, you chose it and told me you would. So now, you have to eat it!" LOL

      Delete
    2. Heheheh, we moms are SO slick... ;-)

      Delete
    3. LOL yup. He's at the testing stage now. He is testing to see what crap he would get in his lunch, he flips out at the drop off to see if I would walk him to his class or take him home. This morning, he flopped on the floor like a fish out of water because I told him it was the rule, he had to walk to class. I am thinking "kid, you are so over this shit! You're 5, not 2 anymore, get off that floor!" I mean he can test and test and test his boundaries but I am stubborn. I am not going to give in because I KNOW there would be hell to pay. I was so embarrassed and this other parent reassured me that it would get better. He smiled and told me his son did the SAME thing last year when he was in kindergarten. I was appreciative of his reassurance but I knew deep down he was most probably thinking "glad, its not my kid" LOLYou have to be slick as parents, otherwize you are totally screwed :)

      Delete
  6. I was also one of those kids who would not eat sandwiches :) xoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL what did you end up eating? I'm curious :p

      Delete
  7. wow, picky eater here but it is great that he wont eat sandwiches / bread things (at least from a montignac-food-persons point of view) I am not a student anymore but having to bring my own stuff to eat to work I usually go with some smoothie (fruity or spicy), an apple and a salad in a jar (all three wont require being cooked or kept cold)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...