Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The attack of the killer shelves

I was reviewing the hot lunch program at my kid's school and I am uncertain if I am going to sign up for a hot meal everyday. A lot of menu items seem repetitive and I figured I would wait until my kid comes home with requests before placing lots of orders for meals he may not like. I decided, I will order a few items and bag lunch for a few days. I realized after buying yogurt, the kid would need freezer packs for his lunch bag. One thing I like about where I live is that everything is in walking distance. The nights here are simply gorgeous that I happily took a walk out to the local pharmacy. After scanning their back to school section, I was unable to find the ice packs. I get to the cash and decided, before I get the girl to scan my purchases, why not ask? She assured me they were on the shelves in the back to school aisle. After scanning the shelves the second time around and about to give up, I looked up and eureka! There were the ice packs!

The problem is, I am a pretty short girl. After jumping up and down (no one was around to help me at that hour) to see what the ice packs looked like,  I noticed that there were larger ice packs on sale too but those were located all the way in the back of the top shelf. I tried using a ruler to scoot the ice pack closer to me in order to make this more accessible. My goal was to bring it closer to the front and then I jump up to get it. The thing is, I used a little too much force and the stupid thing almost pelted me right on the head. Uncoordinated me, I managed to catch something for once! I guess I didn't want my kid to go to school - on his second day no less with a bruised up mom. After all, I am always skeptical of other parent's judgements towards me, all I need is for them to think the worse!


This ordeal reminds me of the "2004 barrage of cans incident" where I used a ladle to scoop down my can of spaghetti sauce, except I was way too forceful and had nearly got pelted by several cans of spaghetti sauce! I do not how I managed to escape that with a mere bump on my head!  Afterwards, I re-arranged my food cupboard and made sure the everyday items were easily accessed, a rare feat at that time since the only storage space for food in that apartment was located on top of my counter.

14 comments:

  1. Story of my life. But we are excellent climbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that reminds me of the time that I climbed a shelf in a corner store and the shelf fell.Chocolate bars scattered every where. It embarrassed the shit out of my sister!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I was not aware that your blog title "Little corpgoth girl" refers to your physical appearance! ^^ Why didn't you ask for help? I'm rather tall and always try to help smaller people who struggle to reach high things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have asked for help but no one was around. It was pretty late at night and I just wanted to get the stuff and go home!

      Delete
  3. When I was in school, whenever the teacher asked me to clean the whiteboard, I ended up having to jump up and down to reach the top :) xoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use chairs to climb up to get things from the high shelves in the kitchen - my MIL laughs but she's even shorter than I am! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that would have been the smart thing to do LOL

      Delete
  5. Ouch! I would have looked around for someone.

    All my friends are shorter than I am. Sometimes I feel quite odd and gangly around them and I'm only 5ft 8"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah at that time of night the store was pretty empty, I just wanted to get out of there!

      Delete
  6. oh wow, never thought being 'little' would be this dangerous! You can have a few cms of me if you want :-)

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thank you dear, follow you №75
    http://www.mosaictrends.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, being short can be hard. I like the saying that we are compact awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this story! I have a habit at home to call out for a "big, strong man" or similar at home when I need help reaching something on the top shelves. Once at work I needed help reaching something, and without thinking did the same there. I work in an all-male environement, so it got a bit of attention. Oooops!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...