Friday, September 11, 2015

Silly random thought of the day: clubbing with my son

The other day, as I was talking with my husband about our son, Philip, he said the funniest thing to me. We were discussing how Philip is very much like us. He is very shy and it takes him a long time to get out of that shyness. He prefers to be alone and doesn't seem to like large crowds. He loves to "read" (he can't wait but he makes up his own stories by looking at the pictures in his books) but he has very slowly started to sound out words! I love that he loves to "read" as much as we do!

He told us, at three years old no less that he wasn't like the other kids. I was shocked. Part of me was proud that he feels that way but a huge part of me was sad because I obviously know how hard of a road it is to travel when you don't fit in with the norm.  He told me that again recently. This is not from me pressuring him into anything either. I love that the kid loves cemeteries. He loves Scooby Doo but wishes that the monsters on the TV show were real not just people in masks. He brought home a picture from school the other day and his teacher wrote "Philip says that he loves Halloween and he always will' I burst with pride. He once asked me why I dress always in black and he once commented that I look like a witch. I thought it was cute and took it as a compliment!

Obviously, for the time being, the kid is being introduced to our taste in music and participates in our lifestyle, he will probably change his tastes as he gets older but for now, he often requests Joy Division and Blutengel in the car. Again, the kid's music preference is awesome and makes me proud!

I was boasting to my husband about all these things and commented that it would be funny if he ended up being goth when he gets older, especially having been exposed to the subculture since a very young age. My husband than said something that made me stop in my tracks:

"Wait until he is old enough to go out downtown, I can just imagine the look on both your faces when you end up realizing that you both go to the same clubs!!!!"

The very few times I actually do go clubbing, it is as a means of escape. It is my escape from him       (and my husband)!  The idea of my boy in a goth club had me laughing. I just pictured him there on the dance floor eyeing the cute goth girl and all of a sudden, his MOM walks by! I find that kind of disturbing! Funny, yet disturbing!

I always saw myself as the cool mom, the one who takes her kids to heavy metal concerts but the notion of my kid going to goth clubs with me was something I never considered. Wow!

9 comments:

  1. I'm not into clubbing anymore but I do take my son to concerts. He's 17 now and we've been to lots of concerts together. You will find things that you still have in common despite the age difference. And if you're lucky enough to have a son that wants to hang with you past the age of 13 take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to look at it. I guess I am still in the phase of the kid trying to follow me into the washroom. I will take advantage of it later if he wants to hang out

      Delete
  2. Well I would not mind my mom going to the same clubs / events as I do (actually, we did already.) So why not? As long as the parent does not stalk its little one it can definitely work out and be quite a lot of fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the children of goths and alternatives of the new generation will have as hard a time being different as goth their parents did. If your parents were goths back in the day you would always have known that you fitted in somewhere, and in the safest place you could be at that. Your son will always have that with him, wherever he goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a lot of parents with kids of all ages at Whitby. If my children want to go I would love to take them some day. But for now Whitby and clubbing (the very few times I get to go) is an escape from having to be a responsible adult (among other things)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it! It is my escape from having to be a responsible adult too! Oh Kara, I wish we could live closer to each other. I have a feeling we would be great friends! Thanks for all the lovely comments!

      Delete
  5. Ha ha you may indeed end up clubbing with your son! Be glad he has good taste! Although as you say if I had a kid I might be worried about them being bullied for being different. I know I was always different but I felt safer once I discovered Goth. It sounds like he has a cute, cheeky personality, so I hope others will love him as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...