Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Outfit of the day

This is an outfit that I personally feel pushes the boundaries a little at work. I know I am not wearing any ripped up clothing and I am not really breaking any rules. While my company doesn't really have a dress code,  I always feel like working as a receptionist, I am that first impression people make when they walk in and I always want to make a positive one. This is why I am super self conscience every morning when it comes to getting dressed. Again, I know I don't have to completely tone down but I don't ever want my boss to pull me aside and tell me that I am wearing something that isn't work appropriate either. I try to keep a fine balance of being a corp goth while leaning a little more towards the goth side than corporate because I can get away with it. I do not suggest you do this unless you are 100% sure your employer is on board. There is no way in hell my previous employer would allow me to come to work in this get up! I guess it all depends on the industry you are in and what kind of corporate policies are in place. I made sure to double check with HR prior to wearing certain articles of clothing. This top is one of them!

Sometimes my paranoia is misplaced because every time I wear this outfit, I get nothing but positive compliments from my colleagues.





Behold the magic empty tube! My son pretends he is an evil scientist and that is his test tube thing.

Making faces at my son because that's how we roll!
I dropped it and it got caught on my skirt!

And more faces at my son. He was in his window making faces back at me!

18 comments:

  1. Great outfit, I love it! And there's nothing more fun than making faces with/at your kids!! :-) I miss doing that with mine, but he's 25 now so he thinks he's "too old" for that stuff. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dang! If you lived closer, I would invite you over to make faces at my kid LOL

      Delete
  2. It's nice that your coworkers are so supporting, you look lovely!^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outfit looks great and I think you still look professional. I think as long as you are covered up and not revealing too much skin than the outfit should be work appropriate. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I guess my paranoia stems from the fact that I used to work in the financial industry years ago (ie. personal investments, dealing with people's money) and I would have been sent home for wearing that, including the skirt! I do agree too, too much skin is not work appropriate

      Delete
  4. A lovely outfit and nice to see, that you're having so much fun with your son :D I'm wearing a uniform at work, not so fine :/ Nice greetz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez, sorry about the uniform.Is there a way you can some personal touches to make it more you? Thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love loop -scarfs and wear lots of bracelets ;) But I'm working just a few hours, so it's not that bad. Have a nice day :)

      Delete
  5. This dress is absolutely gorgeous and you look lovely in it - Btw, have I complimented your new haircut yet? It's so cute too!! ^^ - but I guess, you're right; because of the lacing, it might be pushing the boundaries of being work - appropriate. But then again, what the hell should goths wear in summer? My so called summer wardrobe - which is not summery at all...:/ - consists of flowy black skirts and dresses with either lace or ruffles or this greek - ish looking neckline and I always feel like I'm either overdressed or...even tough I don't show too much skin, somehow I feel like my dresses are kind of risque and provocative. I guess it's just paranoia, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you dress! I remember when I first came across your blog you wore a shirt that said "geek" on it and I thought "that chick is cool, I want to be her friend!" I guess my paranoia stems from the fact that I used to work in the financial industry years ago (ie. personal investments, dealing with people's money) and I would have been sent home for wearing that very outfit, including the skirt. It is nice I don't need to worry so much anymore but old habits die hard! P.S I am most probably going to do geeky tee friday again tomorrow, you should join in the fun too :)

      Delete
  6. I like the outfit with the combo of dm's

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so cool with this dress <3 gotta say I loved it!
    I have some sort of long-dress addiciton hahahah
    xx

    www.inexplicited.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I love that dress! And it's so cool that you're a goth mom! I dress sort of gothic/indie a lot of the time and a lot of the people in my family say "aah, you'll grow out of it"...it's so nice to know you don't have to grow out of it and it can just be a statement of expression! :) xoxo

    www.thelittleenigma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. our dress code is "This is a professional place. People should dress professionally. You are allowed to wear jeans on casual Fridays." I read that as everything's ok except jeans. And everyone wears jeans every day anyway. Honestly, they're lucky we show up at all! I think you look nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love that skirt, you look lovely and perfectly presentable for work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dress is beautiful and IMO, work appropriate (especially with a lightweight cardigan for indoors). LOL. I agree with you on perfecting a fine balance. I'm the same way at work - I want to be be "out there" but not push it so far that they say, "OK - everyone must now wear suits!". :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's awesome that you can express more of your personal style at your current job. It's always very, very sad to me when anyone is prevented from doing so (save for in cases when certain clothing makes a lot for more sense for a job, say like a police uniform if one was a cop). The top is great and so is that lovely skirt!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...