Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Silly random thought of the day: Hello Kitty + goth?

One of my un-goth confessions is that I love Hello Kitty. A couple of years ago, I discovered I had bad allergies and was advised to put my stuffed animals from my collection away. I still have a stash of at least 70+ stuffed animals hiding away in my home right now. It is sad that I have them in storage but in a way, I am grateful. I have pets, the dust, and with having a kid who would probably constantly play with them, it is a good thing they are in storage. I sometimes take one or two out because I love Hello Kitty! In my collection, I must have over 50 pens and pencils. The pencils have not been sharpened and the pens have been all used up. I have tons of stickers and a gazillion other trinkets. I don't always have the disposable income to buy Hello Kitty stuff that much anymore and I have since taken up collecting Doctor Who merchandise but people will still surprise me with a Hello Kitty here and then. Even customers and colleagues came in with stuff to give me at my current job!

I have two Hello Kitty toasters, these are part of my most beloved collection. One stopped working (it used to also toast bagels) but I kept it! The cool part of the toaster/ bagel toaster is that it makes Hello Kitty's face on the toast. I have threatened to kick people out of my house who don't respect the rule! You have to put Hello Kitty on the outside so we can all see it!

image source:amazon.com because I don't have much counter space and am too lazy to move stuff around!

I used to keep this obsession a secret when I was first getting into goth. I was afraid someone would call me a poseur because you know, I am supposed to be all dark and spooky 24-7.

As an adult, I noticed there are lots of goth people that admitted they like Hello Kitty. I think she can be seen more with the Lolitas but there are also friends like me who are just goth and own Hello Kitty stuff.  I guess my original paranoia  about being labelled a poseur as a kid was a little misplaced! 

As I got older and had to join the workforce, I had to tone down. As most of my readers know, there was even a time in my life where I ditched the black clothing and went completely vanilla. One thing remained true. If I couldn't express myself the way I wanted, I had Hello Kitty. Perhaps it was because I was intrigued by her cuteness or perhaps it was because I found her mysterious that always appealed to me. Think about it, she has no mouth. What is she hiding?  What is she not saying? How could I not relate to that? So my Hello Kitty collection grew and grew! I would go to meetings with Hello Kitty pens and notebooks. I had to conform for a job but something about going to work with something Hello Kitty related was..liberating. It was my proverbial screw you for making me conform! It was my secret rebellion! All my coworkers thought I was cute but they never fully saw what was hiding beneath all that cute and sweetness. Every time I looked at Hello Kitty, I saw myself!

Some items I still use around the house


It is no surprise that today, I still love the little cat who has been with me since childhood. Today, I don't need her as much as I used to but am grateful that she will always be there for me.

So yes, I like Hello Kitty, now hands off my goth card. It's mine!


16 comments:

  1. *shrug* If you love it, why not?!? I have a small collection of vintage Duncan & Miller pink opalescent glass including a cherished swan dish. A pink swan dish doesn't sound very gothy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahha, no worries, I love unicors...seriously, what's glitzier than unicorns? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hello kitty too. And i also had the same thing with the cuddly toys and my asthma :( but that toaster. Is. EPIC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not alone there in the slightest. I hardcore love Hello Kitty, too. I wouldn't say I have a plethora or HK items, but there are some for sure, peppered around the house in various places (including our master bedroom and my craft room/office/photo studio in the basement).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I love Hello Kitty. I have a HK waffle maker, it works terribly but I've kept it because it's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehehe, OF COURSE Hell-No Kitty is goth!! (Yes, that's my name for her.) Why wouldn't she be?? No mouth means no smiling; no mouth also means weird and spooky, because what doesn't have a mouth? Works for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I have a family member who calls her "Boo-boo Kitty Fuck"

      Delete
  7. Nothing wrong with liking Hello Kitty at all - you're still a goth. I have a special place in my heart for Lisa Frank - unicorns, rainbows, panda bears, etc. Even though it was revealed that Hello Kitty isn't a cat, she'll alway be a cat to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that the other day about Hello Kitty not actually being a cat. She will always be a cat to me too! Boooo!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...