Saturday, June 13, 2015

Beware of hungry escalators

Don't do a "Sylvie-ism". When taking the metro (aka Subway or Underground) make sure that any long piece of clothing  (be it a skirt or a dress or a scarf, etc) will not get caught in the escalator. I know it sounds silly but it does happen.

Friday night, I wore a long skirt with one of my long coats like so many of us do. I was distracted and just as I was getting off the escalator, my skirt got caught. I pulled really hard and ripped part of my skirt off in order to save myself. This is a stupid mistake, I was holding up my coat and thought I was also holding up my skirt too. Guess I wasn't.

I tend to laugh off any negative situations, that is just my style. I did make some wise cracks about being fortunate I wasn't wearing a thong at that time and didn't get to flash my granny knickers for all to see. These kind of matters should also be taken seriously. A year ago, a woman's head scarf got caught in an escalator and she died in Montreal. Here is the link to the article.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-metro-scarf-tangling-leads-to-woman-s-death-1.2516971

The end of my skirt is ruined as you can see. So please be careful and don't be a dumb ass like me!


Ignore the cat hair!



13 comments:

  1. Whoa, you're lucky you were able to rip your skirt - some fabrics don't tear that easily! Good grief, I didn't think it was that easy to get something caught like that. I hadn't heard about that Montreal woman before. Thank goodness you're okay - mini-skirts for you from now on, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it was that easy either but I am definitely going to be more careful. Whenever I decide to take public transit, short skirts it is! I don't know what I would have done. I think I would have hit the panic button on the escalator to get it to stop. I am also going to make note where they are located on the escalator should this happen again, lol. We take these things all the time and this is the first time if has ever happened!

      Delete
  2. This was always a huge fear of mine! Glad you're ok, and I will be extra cautious in future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sylvie. I'm just glad to hear you're ok. I wear long skirts all the time. I'll be more aware on the escalators now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! It was scary. You may also want to keep an eye out for that panic button that stops the escalators. Just in case :) I am glad you are going to be careful too.

      Delete
  4. Phew it could have been worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. During the 90's, when I wore floor length black skirts every chance I could, and biked to and from school, I had so many malfunctions and accidents! I feel for you and this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same thing happened to my favorite black gown during high school...Anyaway, I'm glad you're okay! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a mortifying situation to be in, and I'm glad you were ok. I've done the same, in of all places the grand central escalator in the European Parliament building in Strasbourg on a uni study tour. Cue much yanking in front of my entire class and our European Parliament MEP who was showing us round...my skirt was ruined too, but as it was jersey it did at least tear free very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your skirt, and glad you are OK. The same thing happened to a friend of mine. That skirt didn't tear easily, so we had to hit the emergency stop. Luckely it happened on the way home. She re-hemed the skirt into a short skirt. Perhaps you can do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank the gods that only your skirt was frayed and nothing happened to you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...