Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Silly random thought of the day: Committing fashion faux-pas and why I snark at the "experts"

Dressing alternative can give you some freedoms you thought you never had. I dress goth for many different reasons: I like black, doing laundry is so easy because there is no need to separate the darks from the lights/colors! It is a means of self expression since I have a love for the darker things in life. I also dress goth because not only do I love the music, I really adore the aesthetic. Back when I dressed normal, I never saw myself as attractive but I must admit, my self confidence has improved since I came back.

Lastly, another thing I like about being/dressing goth is the non-conformity. Reading and watching shows/articles along the lines of "What Not To Wear" and  "What clothes should I wear in my thirties" really rots my socks. These articles showed up on my Facebook news feed the other day and I take it that the interwebs are trying to tell me something. Out of curiosity, I read those articles and I began to laugh.

I laughed because I committed so many "fashion faux-pas" and the whole tone of the articles made me laugh even more. Basically, if I do not conform to these "rules" no one will take me seriously, after all, a woman my age should dress the part. I should have a look of maturity to me.  Me and maturity? The idea behind that also makes me laugh!

I wore this to work. Every single item here are listed in these articles Oh no! Call the fashion police!
My advice: Ignore that hogwash. I wear what the hell I want. It's simple: if people don't like it, they don't have to look. No one should tell you what you should put on your body and I am tired how society often feels that we are a bunch of Lemmings, mindlessly going about, bumbling along. If the so call "experts" tell you that you shouldn't wear something you love, you should blindly listen. You like something? You think it looks good on you? Screw the "rules" and wear the damned thing! I am tired of being told that the only way to succeed in life is to conform and any stamp out any creativity or free thought.

My weekend outfit. Again, I am wearing things I shouldn't. Like leggings, a graphic t-shirt, my skirt and boots. I should wear jeans, shiny polished sneakers and a plain top to take my kid to the park. Screw that.

All our lives, we were told as children to be ourselves, why does this have to change as an adult? What kind of example are setting for our children?We have to sell out?

So yes, I will wear my leggings and tutu-skirts, I will wear my Doc Martens and bedazzled tank tops. If you think I am immature .... well you started it! If people just got the pole removed from their behinds and minded their own business, instead of being concerned over clothing someone wore, the world would be a much better place!



Life is too short to live by such constricting rules. If you want to laugh and see how you commit these heinous crimes, here is a link to two articles I found: http://www.whowhatwear.com/turning-30-fashion/slide28  and  www.rantchic.com/2014/10/24/20-things-women-should-stop-wearing-after-age-30/

33 comments:

  1. Ahhaaaw, lol...I'm not 30 yet, but I can already tell you, that I'd never wear shapeless boyfriend jeans or untailered pants, especially not for a job interview...And what the hell is wrong with ballet flats and mary janes? They say no bodycon dresses, but see through / cut - out lace gowns are okay? What a narrow - minded, overly conservative and hypocritical bullshit...That rantchic.com article is downright rude...


    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in graphic tank tops. I love wearing eyeshadow (bright green is my fave), I just bought a leopard print top, I rock oversized round Lydia-Deetz-esque sunglasses, the ONLY skirts I own are minis, cheap bras are my go-to, give me allllll the glitter, Mary-Jane style shoes are my Holy Grail, fast-fashion is fun, I only buy/wear steel body jewelry because my piercings are my other babies but for bracelets and necklaces gimme the cheap stuff.
    I can't finish the article because the judgey vibes are too much but wow. I'm sure my haircut (shaved on the sides, bettie bangs) and piercings would all be on the list too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Now you can see the reason for my rant!

      Delete
  3. Hey, lovely blog!
    Wanna follow each other??

    Blog: http://missunderstoodstyle.blogspot.com/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Miss-Understood-Style/1404591476502298?ref=hl

    Waiting for you darling!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am completely with you on this. Reading those articles made me want to wear everything on the lists. At the same time. While flipping off the entire world :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN! Those articles make me laugh! I'm a stylist and I think the "professionals" are RIDICULOUS!!! I hear women (who comes into Cats Like Us) that constantly say, "Oh, I'm too old to wear this". BULLSHIT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, there are certain things that I wouldnt wear now but would have in my twenties. It is not an age issue just a body issue lol I would love to come visit Cats Like Us. So many lovely articles :) You're so lucky!

      Delete
  6. Hear, hear!!! I'm all for general guidelines and advice when it comes to fashion, but there are no absolute, written in stone hard and fast rules and those who dare to realize this on a constant basis, are almost always the best dressed people, if you ask me.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! As a woman in her 40s these ladies would flog me! Get your mitts off my converse and my Mary Janes. I look like a teletubby in boyfriend jeans. I just ordered myself an Edgar Allan Poe t shirt, and right now have the Notorious Bettie Page plastered across my bosom. Does that make me a bad person? ! Mind I do agree about the underwear. Buy the best you can afford cause they all go south eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I would love to see your Poe and Bettie shirt!

      Delete
  8. This is a very complicated subject for me. I'm a career woman whose career places a lot of stock in the way I look. I have to dress age appropriately simply because 1. I look very young and students try to take advantage of me, 2. I'm interested in furthering my career ... yes, even over playful Goth styles. There's a time a place for everything, and university is neither the time nor place for certain styles like tutus. On my off time I do wear what I want, but I am very aware of what that off time might mean for me. I won't dress in certain styles if I'm going to a museum or the library because I *MIGHT* run into someone very important. I might wear long velvet skirts and a t-shirt, but I keep the graphics to a minimum and leave the skull hair bows at home. I wear saddle shoes, flats, Converse, Docs, and creepers all the time ... you'll never catch me in a heel ... but I have certain shoes I won't wear to shoe.

    I guess what I'm saying is that there is a fine line that most professional Goths and alternative folks need to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true what you say here. I am not a professional but I have worked in places where I had to tone down and remove piercings, etc. Today, I am lucky, I don't have to do that and I never will again. It was the tone of the article that really pissed me off, I found it snooty. Seriously, what is wrong with ballet flats? I had a boss well over her 50's wear them and totally rocked an outfit. Living by these "rules" presented in the articles would make life boring. As a professional, you do totally wear great outfits that show your personal style to some degree. These articles give me the impression they want to stamp out any form of creative self expression. You need to be a carbon copy of everyone else in order to fit in. I have been there and done that. Not selling myself out again

      Delete
    2. True story! I always found "What Not to Wear" snotty and mean-spirited. I agree that they want to stamp out personal expression, something that I tend to do with chunky jewelry, etc. I won't take out my nose ring (tiny little stud) or my earrings, but I will cover my tattoos ... at least for the first few weeks of class. Incorporating vintage and vintage inspired clothing into my professional wardrobe also allows me to be creative.

      For most of us who have to be more conservative (at times), there are ways to do it without giving up ourselves and still be taken seriously.

      Delete
    3. Exactly! You are lucky. I once had to take out all visible facial piercings at a place I used to work at. I replaced my nose stud with a tongue piercing!

      Delete
  9. Omg those articles you linked to are sooooo square. Mom jeans and pumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL and I am surprised they didnt praise yoga pants lol

      Delete
  10. You GO, grrrlfriend!! I did a post about another one of those nasty articles awhile back, with pretty much the same opinions as you. Screw "dressing your age"... who decides what that is, anyway? As long as you don't look stupid (and I think we all can figure out what that looks like on us!), who should care what we wear? US, and nobody else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wondering if people really listen to those things or if they look at it to laugh? you look great because you look you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad some people really do.

      Delete
  12. I love your post against listening to what fashion expert, I've read both and watched shows about their advice. Honestly, their advice sucks and it's all about conforming, such as wearing crippling high heels and getting fake tan. Some so-called stylists end up making people look worse after their makeovers. Whatever you age if that's how you feel comfortable dressing.I dress like a student and feel comfortable that way. My partner is 48 still has long hair and wear skinny jeans and t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad I'm not on Facebook anymore, to see such nonsense. But I get infected by ageism and judgement anyway, and approaching 40 I have actually noticed myself starting to think "I'm to old to wear that" sometimes when out shopping :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go on Facebook because I have friends and family who live far away and it is a great place for us to keep in touch. Its great that they can see my little one grow up . I often call Facebook Dramabook lol!

      Delete
  14. I saw one of those shows once and was horrified when they dressed a woman in a hot pink tshirt with a khaki jacket that clashed terribly! Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet the message is the same "if you dont dress to our horrible, ugly standards, you wont fit in" Hot pink and khaki? eeeeew!

      Delete
  15. God I hate those makeover shows! If you wear what you love, the right ppl are always going to like you! No that it matters after all, i dress for myself and my own happiness!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...