Saturday, May 16, 2015

Playing in the dirt

For mother's day, I treated myself to a bunch of plants and flowers. I was determined to lose my gardening virginity. I never really planted before, aside from a few sunflowers from seeds at my old place. My mom gave me a few hangers and boxes so I can hang my flowers on my front balcony. She has a green thumb and even came over to help. My mom is not young, in fact, she is old enough to be my grandmother so I made her be the inspector and tell me what to do. She liked that job! It was an interesting mother's day for both of us. She got to see her grandson and got treated to a lunch and supper too! Plus she seemed happy I took an interest in something she has been doing for years.

Since I am a renter and I know the landlady pays an insane amount of money to have people come mow the yard every summer, I did not want to ruin her grass. We have a trench, sort of a ditch in my backyard. I thought how great and sustainable it would be because the rain water will fall behind there! Perfect for a mini vegetable garden! I am quite anal when it comes to sustainability. For those of you have not read my whole eco friendly nature post, you can do so here. 

The earth was old and it was very hard to dig through. I hit roots and rocks but I was determined. I enjoyed my work out. I never fully realised how physically exerting gardening can be!  I now have a very small vegetable garden, a mini herb garden and some pretty flowers that will soon bloom on my balcony. I forgot what sort of flowers I planted. They are not perennials. They are all dark purple just different sort. Ooops!

I was grateful for my SPF 60 sunblock and the huge tree in my backyard that kept me very well shaded. It was a fun afternoon of BBqing and planting.

A week later, I am still buying more flowers and vegetables to plant!


More flowers amidst my broken clothes line awaiting to be planted! They will be tomorrow!

Ignore my kid's toy bug catcher Look at the cute kitty and gargoyle I got. I told my son that the gargoyle is watching him to make sure he doesn't play in the vegetable garden! He stepped on my cucumber plant and I got another one just in case it doesn't grow. Little rascal!

Before the cheap crappy fence but serves a purpose came in!
I bought a crappy mini fence in hopes the lawn people who come to mow the lawn and the kid will be careful. So far, success!

I even put the card thingy the plants came with so I remembered what the hell I planted!

Mini herb garden in planter. The one on the left was my son's Earth day project he planted beans.


This is the trench.

There will be flowers. I threw out the cards! Don't remember what they will look like but meh.

Who knew a $20 toy from Ikea could come in handy for nap time? It was hilarious, every time he moved, the tent did too! 



16 comments:

  1. Love the gargoyle! I want some on my house in the future! It all looks very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have many gargoyles on the inside but I felt like it would be suitable to have one on the outside

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a really lovely mothers day! I can't wait to start gardening too when we move house

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a horrible black thumb, but the spouse is very gifted with plants so I leave it all up to him! I think it's more fun when you take the sticks with the plant's name out ... total surprise when they finally bloom. :) P.S. That tent is priceless. There's just something about sleeping outside, isn't there? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is something about sleeping outside. Some of the best sleeps I had were outdoors :)

      Delete
  4. It can get quite obsessive I find. Every plant in my garden and yard bar the roses have been put there by me - and I have no idea what any of them are called!! Enjoy watching them bloom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It will be interesting when they do bloom!

      Delete
  5. Wooow, I love it! Enjoy the week honey!

    I invite you to join my worldwide giveaway: Polka dots dress

    Do you want to follow each other? Let me know and I'll do the same:
    My blog | Bloglovin | Facebook

    (っ◕‿◕)っ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I am following you, I like your icon :)

      Delete
  6. How very lovely! I have exceedingly little firsthand gardening experience myself. I did help both of my sets of grandparents out there a bit as child, but beyond that, my experience has scared gone beyond a few houseplants while living in a basement suite years ago (as you can imagine, they weren't long for this world given the serious lack of natural light) and three tiny rose plants in front of our condo these days. I have managed to keep them alive for three years now though, so hopefully I'm doing something right. :)

    All the very best with your garden, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh very nice. Apparently, roses are very hard to keep/grow/maintain!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I can't believe I missed this post but it was during my crazy end-of-semester madness. This is amazing! Gardening is addictive! I started off in a rental property with no yard and just a little balcony. Next thing I know... it's stolen my heart.

    I also encourage you to walk around whispering, "grow! grow" because it's fun and if anyone sees you they'll think you're nuts and stay away from you ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I don't know if I really want to do that... the people next to me are super nice. On one side, are the Asian family. Super nice and friendly. I hope to get on their good side so they can share their food with me LOL The people on the other side let us in their yard anytime we want when we accidentally throw a ball or frisbee over the fence! I do talk to them though but not so loud so the neighbors can't hear :p

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...