Friday, May 22, 2015

Celebrate World Goth Day, otherwize you will be exterminated!!!!

World Goth Day was today. To be honest, I am not sure how I feel about the day. I sometimes get excited and sometimes I am usually "meh" about it. I mean, I like to think I am goth everyday! Why a day? I did like World Goth Day's Facebook page because they always post funny things. If you have not done so already, you should check out their page.

I came across this article and my views somewhat swayed a little because of this very sentence: “There are quite a few Goths who have fought damn hard to retain their identity despite peer pressure, family pressure and indeed, any pressure to conform. And if you've gone to all that trouble to preserve what you believe is the 'real you', don't you think you owe it to yourself to shine for a day?"

For those of you who read this blog, would probably know that very sentence struck home with me.

Tonight, I did not go out to a club or got all dressed up. I simply took my non-goth niece out for supper. We then proceeded to go shopping which was a fun experience. You see, we were in her neighborhood, an area I grew up in. For those of you who are locals and who read this blog would know that this area is the West Island or the Waste Island as most of us prefer to call it.

Mmmmm! Goth pops!

The Waste island is located in the good old suburbs where the majority of people are snobby! I moved out of that area in my early twenties and never fully looked back. I do return though, like today to visit family and I am always happy to return to my current home, further away!

Going to The Mall was an experience. Just like when I was a teenager, my niece and I were loud and rambunctious. Mainly because we went to HMV and were hyped up on sugar. For those of you non-Canadians, HMV reminds me of a Canadian version of Hot Topic except I never seen Tripp pants or anything that would be considered alternative clothing (or Mallgoth ware) there.  I never ventured into a Hot Topic when I go to the US so please correct me if I am wrong, I am going on heresay! HMV sells videogames, music, pop culture figurines, Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who collectibles. Anything pop culture orientated, you could most probably find there.

My niece's birthday (she is in her mid twenties by the way, long story) is approaching so aside from taking her out for dinner, I bought her some Pop Culture figurines she collects. It is not much of a surprise, I know but she collects them so damned fast! In fact, she just messaged me via Facebook because she is going back tomorrow to get Dory from Finding Nemo she saw and regretted not purchasing ealier.

I ended up buying a huge laminated poster of a Dalek. I was like a kid on Christmas morning with this purchase. I am rather short and the poster is practically my size. Here I am walking through the mall carrying this huge laminated Dalek poster shouting Exterminate every chance I get. People avoided me like the plague and gave me odd looks from a distance. Fellow Whovians nodded and smiled, they understood my important task! I called my husband to be warned that this giant Dalek poster was coming in the house. He originally thought I was going to purchase the exploding Tardis one but that will be for another time. According to my niece, a shopper looked right up at me and smiled as if he knew exactly what I was talking about. He overheard my telephone conversation! It was very windy out but I managed to lug the thing in my rather small car without it flying away and continued with my shopping.

This was me after I got the Dalek poster!


So World Goth day for me was pretty much just like any other day, except to commemorate the day, I purchased a Dalek poster.

This is what the poster looks like. We tried to take a photo of me with it but they turned out bad. Bad lighting!
With that, I leave you with "Everyday is Halloween".

Did you do anything special for World Goth Day?




15 comments:

  1. Seems like a fun day. I had no idea there was a Canadian HT. Malls are strange places. I just went for drinks after work with work people and ...drank too much. Read your guys' blog posts on the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Hope you had fun ! I dont know if HMV is exactky a HT but it reminds me of one minus the Mallgoth clothing. It is a cool store to shop at,

      Delete
  2. I love your Dalek poster story! It was horrible and rainy here so I didn't get anything constructive or fun done. Oh well. I am Goth in my heart every day too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah jeez it sucks you didnt go out! Hope you had fun anyways

      Delete
  3. I contemplated going out as there was a club night going on in Buffalo, but I decided to go out for sushi with Derek. We both talked about how I felt I "should" go out on World Goth Day, but (like you said) it was just another day. I wanted to relax and hang out with my husband after we both worked and it's been a long week. Sometimes being an aging goth is not a bad thing when you know who you are and don't need anything to validate that ;) Sounds like you had a great time with your niece!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice being older and not needing validation! I hope you enjoyed your sushi.....mmmm! Sushiiiiiii!

      Delete
  4. Love the Dalek poster and I like how you observed World Goth Day - I didn't even go out of my house. But like you said, everyday is Goth Day so I don't feel too bad spending the day inside my head. Then again, I'm getting old. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you had a nice weekend

      Delete
  5. I didn't really do anything special, just watched some witch themed movies, I don't know if that is goth enough though, haha. I didn't dress up or anything, it was pretty much a normal friday night on my own. :)

    OMG I want that dalek poster! And the exploding TARDIS! I have a plushie dalek that I got from my ex, but here in Brazil it is really difficult to find Doctor Who related stuff. :(

    I don't know if you remember me, but I used to own a blog called Cryptoqueen and I would come visit you quite often, I think... Anyway, I'm back with a new blog called Mry the Nighghts! It would be really nice of you if you would take a look. :)

    See ya. :3
    ‣ Mry the Nighghts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you! I added you to my reading list. Welcome back to blogging!

      Delete
  6. ROFL!!! What a great way to spend the day! I wish we had been there to see you lugging that poster and yelling "Exterminate!!" We are both Dr. Who fans, although we haven't watched in quite awhile. I'm currently drooling over a t-shirt (and hopefully a poster) of my personal favorite villians... "Don't blink."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the Weeping Angels. I even have Tennant's "dont blink" speech as a ring tone on my cell! I have a neat Hello Kitty/ Riversong crossover t-shirt :)

      Delete
  7. I liked HMV in Canada, although its a shame they dont have Tripp pants :p I bought a few band shirts there I think...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaaaaw, I need a poster like that in my life...! :D
    Going to the mall is always a great adventure to me too, as we - me, my boyfriend or the group of friends I usually go to the mall with... - just can't act serious...all that simuli, all those colors, all those noises...I'm pretty sure we'd have been running around with that poster shouting 'Exterminate' as well...:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a fun day, thats most important, no matter if world goth day or not. :-D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...