Monday, May 11, 2015

Bat fit update post - living with migraines



warning: this blog post may have some foul language, younger readers please be advised!

Hello there dear readers,

I have not forgotten about my Bat fit goals. In fact, my exercises were going really well until I got a cold, which turned into bronchitis last winter. This lasted for over a month. Afterwards, I was hit with a series of chronic migraines that affected my morale. In fact, it affected my personal and work life too. I was very depressed over it because I like to think that I am the type of person that is full of life; Despite how I feel, I grab life by the horns and I plough through. I was unable to do just that and it made me feel like a horrible wife and mother. It is so hard to tell your child that you can't play with him because you have a migraine.



I FINALLY found a regular family doctor, which is something that is very rare in these parts. I was relying on the clinic to treat these migraines but I need someone to follow up with me.  Again, I was super lucky, I finally found a family doctor who was taking new patients. He is an old, no-nonsense sort of man but he is good and very thorough.

Apparently, I could have a vitamin deficiency which could be causing these chronic, almost daily migraines. So I am on vitamins. I am getting less migraines!

I was told, in the meantime, to keep hydrated, which I don't do enough of to begin with. I have been drinking more water.  I am seeing some positive results.

I kept complaining about a very stiff neck, especially in the spring and the fall. The doctor said my migraine meds only treat the head pain and advised me to take an anti-inflammatory (such as Advil) for the neck pain. I have been getting a lot less migraines. We both suspected the migraines kept coming back because of my neck pain.



I am glad to be seeing progress so far. I am waiting another week before I re-start my exercise regime. I have been eating healthy and with the warmer temperatures, I have been out walking more often at night. The heat and the sun are major migraine triggers for me so I am careful. My yard is well shaded too and my sunglasses have always been my best friend.I even started a mini garden last weekend so expect some posts! I am losing my garden virginity!

It is not easy living with chronic pain. I used to get sporadic migraines but it seems with age and especially since childbirth, they have become more frequent. I am learning to cope and find ways to reduce them as much as possible. So much, there is success.

The important part, I feel better and feel good about myself physically.

I am taking baby steps but hopefully I can reduce these migraines by at least 25%, maybe even 50%. So far the water and the vitamins seem to be working. I go back to my doctor's in July with updates and for tests. In the meantime, I downloaded this great migraine app for my smartphone called migraine buddy. It helps you track them. I highly recommend it! Hopefully, a simple lifestyle change is in order, otherwise, I maybe put on preventives and possible disability, which I really don't want to go that route. 



20 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about that. my old boss had these month-long debilitating migraines and she was on some kind of treatment for them. Aside from a few blackout weeks, she seemed to live a normal life. here's hoping that a few lifestyle issues could help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I can only imagine what a month long migraine would be like. I do get them often but I do get a few days reprieve.

      Delete
  2. Ugh! Migraines are awful! I'm glad you are feeling a bit better.

    Keeping track of your migraines is a great idea. That's how I finally discovered the major trigger for my headaches -- MSG. I was not sensitive to it until I was about 30, but since then, I have grown more and more sensitive.

    I hope you find a way to conquer your migraines. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Why is it everything seems to go to shit after we hit 30? I am glad you found out your major trigger.

      Delete
  3. My migraine triggers are stress and neck pain. It definitely comes from the neck. Do you work a lot in front of the computor, typing? Do you have negative people around you or situations that gives you stress? I try to take walks even now and then to ease the neck strain. I hope it will get a lot better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling the computer doesnt help it. I definetely know my neck pain is a trigger

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you are finally getting real help and have a regular doctor! Sometimes the "newest" isn't always the best, and a good doctor is worth twice his/her weight in gold, regardless of age. Keeping fingers crossed that this new regime will be enough for you. And that pain chart is GREAT!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your pains, and am glad you've found some help. My mother had cronic migrains as I was growing up. If it's any comfort, us kids never blamed her or got upset for being to sick to play with us. It was just part of life that sometimes mommy hid in the dark basement and we couldn't be too noisy. Also she hasn't had any migraines since she went through menopause, so at some point in the future you might be free too :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to menopause LOL! Thanks for reassuring me

      Delete
  6. I keep my fingers crossed for your migraine managment to help. I'm gald I don't suffer it, but my boyfriend has random bouts of migraine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That really bites for your boyfriend. I hope he doesnt get them frequently

      Delete
  7. damn migraines are horrible, sorry for you here but glad its getting better already'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had chronic migraines for about half my life and can truly relate to your struggles (do you get cluster headaches/migraines, they've been a common problem for me for many years now and are so hideous, I wouldn't wish them on the most evil person in the world). Thank you for sharing about that app. I hadn't heard of it before and off to look into it.

    Sending tons of gentle hugs & understanding your way,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find that app useful. It is excellent! I am sorry to hear about you suffering with chronic migraines. Thanks for the hugs and understanding :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...