Friday, April 24, 2015

A casual Sunday stroll with my old pal Urgel Bergel


When the weather here is pleasant, I couldn't be happier. It means that spring has finally arrived despite the cold, rain and the light snow flurries I saw one morning earlier this week. Luckly, it blew over and the sun came out later that day. This is Canadian weather for you! This winter has been a long and cold one and I am glad to see the occasional warmer temperatures when we have them. It really is refreshing to see the green(ish) grass once again after all that snow.

Wanting to take advantage of the spring weather last sunday, we decided to go out for brunch and take a stroll at the cemetery located right up the street from our house! I have to admit, it was quite disappointing. I guess I am spoiled with the bigger, older and nicer Mount Royal cemetery (which will be a future post, I promise.) Considering it was a beautiful day and warm enough, I decided to wear my pretty corseted coat with my favourite Breakfast at Tiffany's hat.


An old picture but this is what the back looks like

The cemetary we visited is called Urgel Bourgie. This company owns several burial plots and parlours throughout Montreal (possibly throughout the Province) but we went to the one located five minutes away from my house. How cool is that? There are cemeteries in walking distance from my apartment! For some odd reason, we always called the Urgel Bourgie burial grounds "Urgel Burgel". I don't know where this started but it sounds funny and it just sticks. So Urgel Burgel it is!

I couldn't get a good picture of the gates, there was a busy street behind me!

This particular Urgel Burgel cemetery had no fancy tombstones or grave markers and I think the oldest grave was from 1878, there were more recent ones than old ones. Now you can understand why the dissappointment.

Here are some pictures of our stroll. The cemetery was so small it only took us an hour (it would of taken us a lot less without the little one) to go through it all.

As a side note, I thought this would be a nice way to officially end my Danse Macabre posts. It was not planned that way at all but I thinks it is a nice touch, nonetheless.



It's a ghost!

This is a rose bush. I should come back and see it in full bloom. It looks kinda cool like this nonetheless.


Some "grave markers" Lots of people were buried here!



12 comments:

  1. I actually LOLed at your "is a ghost!" Comment. Seems like a nice place for a walk and that rose bush will probably be beautiful in the summer. Interesting about the grave markers on the rock... Don't think I've seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember seeing that before either. I thought it was interesting. I am glad you LOLed at my ghost remark. I thought it was appropriate!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day! We have also had some crazy weather, so OVER IT! I want Spring and a Summer this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I wonder if you tiki bar will be done for the summer, that would be awesome!

      Delete
  3. Cool. I have a few local cemeteries that I can walk to. I was supposed to take a walking tour today but it was canceled because of the cold, rainy weather. Sigh.

    I like the stone with the markers. Curious about the last picture. Is that a society grave?

    Author Sui Sin Far (Edith Maud Eaton) may be buried there. Not sure since I found accounts of different burial locations. Would be neat to see that one if it's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a society grave. I may just have to go back and take a look at the names now.

      Delete
  4. Hey, I have tagged you in a post on my blog, check it out :)
    http://nebelviolet.blogspot.de/2015/04/liebster-award-11-facts-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cemetery! I am perpetually enchanted with the rich history that Quebec houses. Granted all of Canada is fairly young (in terms of European settlement), but BC is the one the newest provinces and you'd have to look pretty hard to find a graveyard with dates that far back here (it's not impossible, especially in Vancouver or Victoria), but it would still take some work and you'd almost never see one prior to about the 1840s - there just weren't many settlers here yet.

    Thank you very much lovely comment on yesterday's post. I hope you have a splendid spring + summer, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww thanks. I would love to live in BC just to go surfing in Tofino and have your weather but I do love Montreal for its history and culture

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm those plates with all the names look interesting, is there any cause why they are 'collected' instead of single stones? o_O and i loled too on that ghost comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. It was my first time seeing that. I thought it was interesting

      Delete
  8. It is cool to be able to share your cemetery love with a kid! The coat looks great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...