Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Crow "Remake": hit or miss?

Over the past several years, I occasionally kept track of the evolution of the new Crow remake. What once began as a rumour, to directors pulling out of the project, to changing lead actors (originally it was supposed to be Luke Evans) I am not very confident that filming will actually commence this spring as planned. Production drama aside, I am not the only one who holds the belief that no one can replace Brandon Lee. Ever.

The Crow came out when I was a babybat and this was one of the major influences I had towards the goth scene. Yes, I wore the embarrassing makeup in public with electric tape on my arms (now that I am older and wiser, I do realize there are much better uses for that electric tape, wink, wink!) and no it wasn't Halloween when I did those things.Thanks to the movie, I have tons of posters, artwork (even one of them autographed) by the comic book artist who inspired the films, James O'Barr.

I own several comics as well as the beloved graphic novel. I have two figurines and one even has a sensor that quotes the movies. Random fun fact: I always found it amusing that the sensor is located in the crotch area!






My original opinion about Brandon Lee swayed a little after reading that James O'Barr himself gave the new movie his blessing, that he will have control on the movie soundtrack once again and the new movie won't actually be a remake of the old one.

“If you read the comic, Eric and Shelley never have their last names revealed,” O’Barr continues. “Hopefully, this is one area the new movie being more faithful to the comic will come into play, and Eric won’t be going by Eric Draven in the new film...Brandon Lee will forever be Eric Draven… [N]o one understands that fear more than me. Brandon Lee was a friend and I’d never do anything to hurt his legacy...We’re including some music I’d wanted to originally, but just couldn’t get the rights to,” says O’Barr. “Some actual Joy Division songs. Some vintage Cure songs. I’m still pretty active in the music industry, and there is a lot of neo-goth bands out there, that have that same sound, and I’ve talked to some of them about contributing, and they’re very excited about it.” click here for the article


I also read via social media that actor Jack Huston is cast to play Eric in the new film. I heard a lot of great reviews with regards to his performance on "Boardwalk Empire". There is an article on that here

I went from being against the remake to being on the fence about it. I would be happy if they played some vintage Cure songs and some actual Joy Division (although, I was very fond of the NIN Dead Souls remix) and I am also pleased to hear that O'Barr is involved. The original movie was not close to the comic so if this new movie would actually stick to the original story in the comic (I am hoping more than just the exclusion of the main character's last names) I would love it.

Here's to hoping Hollywood doesn't screw this up.


P.S. Hopefully any PR personnel for the movie is reading this. If you are planning a movie premiere or pre-screening event in Montreal or in any surrounding cities, please contact me (hint! hint!). You can reach me via Facebook (little corp goth girl) or by using the contact form on the right hand corner.

10 comments:

  1. This is such a tough call, even with O'Barr on board it doesn't mean he'll have a massive influence on how it all unfolds. I can think of many books to films where the creator/artist is invited to give input but their concerns were brushed off and the films came out as horrible messes. I just hope that's not the case here, because even good music can't save a stinker of a film. : /

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it follows more the comic book story line. I was super dissappointed they took out the skull cowboy

      Delete
  2. Since O'Barr is involved and we are currently not getting enough big budget Gothic films I have my fingers crossed. Hoping for a good Goth soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am keeping my fingers crossed but am skeptical that the remake will be any good

      Delete
  3. I attended a screening of The Crow at the Richmond, VA Poe Museum last September and James O'Barr was there. The evening began with him discussing his book, Brandon Lee, and the forthcoming movie remake that at the time he stated would star Luke Evans. O’Barr said that no one would ever replace Brandon Lee and that no one was trying to do that. Everyone on board seems to respect this legacy. I haven’t really followed up on anything since that time but from your post, Evans has backed out.

    O’Barr also discussed The Crow soundtrack in which he stated that he just so happened to be friends with all of the bands (Henry Rollins, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Violent Femmes, The Jesus and Mary Chain) except for The Cure. I'm all for another soundtrack :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you posting about that, I was super envious :)

      Delete
  4. Ehh...even with O'Barr on board and Jack Huston cast as Eric, the remake is still a no-no for me...but seriously, was it supposed to be Luke Evans? Oh...;)

    Apparently, I simply don't understand the reason for remakes; I mean, The Crow is a cult film, so probably a remake would earn well, but other, than that, why do old movies need to be updated to some CGI holliwood plastic? :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was fine the way it is! If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

      Delete
  5. so it is not just rumors? humm... i am not much a fan of remakes but well, MAYBE some are good ^^ ps: electric tape, yes?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment made my day. I was hoping someone would mention the tape! LOL

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...