Monday, March 9, 2015

Featuring Siouxsie Sioux

Since yesterday was International Women's Day, I figured I would do a feature on one of my favourite female lead singers: Siouxsie Sioux.

I am almost certain that we all heard of her and listen to her music, after all, she is considered the Godmother of Goth. Despite all this, I still felt like it was mandatory to do an entire post just for her!

Image source

Siouxsie is well known amongst the Goth community as front woman to the post punk band "Siouxsie and The Banshees" and although she has personally denied any connections with the goth label, many of us seek inspiration from her makeup, her songs, her clothing and backcombed hair.

Siouxsie Sioux was born May 27, 1957 in Bromley, England. In the mid-1970s, Siouxsie became part of a group of young punk rockers. The group was known was labelled as The Bromley Contingent which consisted of Sex Pistols fans. In 1976, after a band dropped out of the 100 Club Punk Festival, Siouxsie and her friend, Steve Severin decided to perform. Siouxsie was songwriter and singer while Severin was on Bass.  They did not have an actual band so they borrowed two musicians:  Marco Perroni (guitar) and Sid Vicious (drums). They performed a 20-minute rendition of The Lord's Prayer.

In 1978, Sid Vicious and Marco Perroni have already left the band and were replaced by Kenny Morris and John McKay and released their debut single, "Hong Kong Garden," which reached No. 7 on the UK singles chart.




 Spellbound video



I first came across Siouxsie when I was a kid, I think I was about twelve years old. The "Batman Returns" movie came out and I heard the song "Face to Face". I loved it! At that age, I was coming out of my New Kids On The Block obsession and I never really bothered with Siouxsie until my teenaged years.

I got re-introduced to Siouxsie while watching the Craft as a teenager and her song "Sick Child" was on the soundtrack. I was so entranced with the song intro that I looked up the band and this was my first real introduction to goth music!

5 comments:

  1. My husband's favorite, but I can't say I really cared for her music or voice, though I do like her image. I'm telling him about your post right now and now he's playing The Creatures for me lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Ooohh, you've got me smiling up a storm over here thanks to the flashbacks to my youth that this post and video just delivered. Love it! Thank you very much, dear gal.

    Have a terrific Tuesday!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks. Hope you have a good tuesday as well <3

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...