Friday, February 27, 2015

The Professor's Homework assignment - Beautiful sounds

Originally, I was not going to participate in this assignment but I got a wave of inspiration, so here it is. No doubt, music is definitely a beautiful sound to me. I love music! If I am going to do a post about sounds, I have to mention music. I always been a music lover and while I do have a soft spot for goth music, I do love classical, rock, jazz, etc.  I even played the piano and bass guitar for a while.

Now for my inspiration. I am going to write about the sound that annoys me most in the world: the phone ringing. Yes, I know I work as a receptionist, I answer the phone. I do it all day. When my phones are busy, I actually wear my headset and put my phone on Do Not Disturb! I still take calls, it's just when my phone is on DND, it doesn't ring, it beeps in my ear like call waiting. It is a hell of a lot less annoying that way.

When you answer phones for a living, there is no way in hell you are going to do it when you don't need to. When I am at home, there are many times, I turn the ringer off on my phone or I have Doctor Who sounds to indicate a call is coming in. Currently, I have David Tenant warning me that "The angels are coming for you but listen, your life could depend on this. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you are dead. They are fast. Faster than you could ever believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink. Good luck"  It depends on my mood, there are times, I don't even put it on vibrate. I have voicemail. If people want to get a hold of me, they either text me or message me on Facebook!

I guess you can say, while music is up there for a beautiful sound, the one I like the most is quiet. Yes, peace and quiet. I get lost in my thoughts and I am happy. I don't mind hearing cars or birds or even water in the background, I really do like nature sounds. I am also fortunate to live in an area with an old church up the street. At every hour, you can hear church bells when the windows are open and when I am outside, while I am not religious or anything, I find that very soothing.

Speaking of Doctor Who, one sound I find soothing and gets me to nerd out is the TARDIS sound.  I even got a Tardis lamp that when I open the doors, you can hear the sound. Best Mother's Day present ever!

My cool Tardis lamp

Source:Tumblr

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha, your post reminds me of the Allan Ginsberg poem about the telephone ringing. It does sound like it would get annoying, I get annoyed enough with all the charities ringing for money during the day when I am alone in the house, and then just hanging up on me when I am not the person they wanted to talk to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get those calls at work too. Ugh. They are the worse

      Delete
  2. I love your lamp! And I sympathize with not wanting to "bring your work home" by answering the phone. I'm an accountant, and when I get home the last thing I want to do is pay bills and balance my private accounts. I let my husband take care of all that :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally can see your point in the phone thing, it's not my job to answer the phone but our emergency calls at work come to the phone too so phone ringing here all day, too :-/ (so do not disturb, here too!)
    that lamp looks amazing btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! What a great post and fabulous interpretation of the assignment. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks. I wanted to do something a little different :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...