Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Product review: Garnier Color Styler intense wash out color

It has been bloody cold here and as much as I didn't want to venture out over the weekend, I needed food. I also stopped off to get hair dye because I was tired of my blonde roots showing through. I posted a couple of months ago on how I bleached two strands of my hair. I wanted to change those strands into something a little more vibrant. Originally, I was growing out my bangs but I got tired of the look as well. I realised that having longer bangs made me look like a kid.  So I re-cut them. Yes, I know I shouldn't dye my hair or cut my hair on my own but I am tired of hair dressers lecturing me on dying my hair black. One even refused to do so and put a dark brown instead without my knowledge. It took me a couple of hairdressers and none of them got my bangs right so I got a Youtube tutorial and started cutting them myself. I am tired of wasting money. I do go to the salon to get the occasional hair trim but that is it. I also have to make sure to be very specific, I don't want layers. Why is it that stylists insist on cutting my hair to suit the latest trends?

I wanted to do something different with my streaks. I originally was going to purchase my favorite hair dye (Manic Panic) but I came across the Garnier Intense Wash out Color instead.

Image source: http://www.beautyjunkiesunite.com/WP/2014/07/15/sneak-peek-garnier-color-styler-hair-color-pink-pop-bronze-attitude-blue-burst-red-temptation-purple-mania/


What prompted me to purchase this one over Manic Panic was the cost. I am cheap, I know! Manic Panic was $16.99 and this one was $8.99.  It says to wash out in two shampoos on the box but mine did after the first wash. So don't expect much. If you want something that lasts a little longer, I would opt for Manic Panic or another kind of dye.

The instructions were clear. Apply on hair. Do not rinse out. Brush when dry. The only problem is when you comb it, it leaves your hair kinda hard and crunchy!

What I liked:
- came with black gloves and not the thin cheapie see through kind
- it smells nice
- it does show up on darker hair. I got some on my black hair and it is a dark blue.I seen pictures online where some of the other colors came out nicely on darker hair.

What I disliked:
- it is not that thick goop I am accustomed to when I use that Manic Panic stuff.
- It is VERY watery and stains easy so it is a pain to apply. It goes everywhere!
- Rubs off easily. I did not test getting caught in the rain but I can assume the color will run out. It is a temporary color, after all.




Here is an example of what my hair looked like right after:





Here is what my hair looked like after one shampoo (sorry, bad photo quality):



The end result? I do NOT recommend this if you want a more permanent fix. This is good if you want a temporary solution (like a night out at a club, for example). It was a lot of fun trying out a new product though. This is definitely a better alternative to hair chalks.  I feel like a smurf!

17 comments:

  1. The colour and stripes look so good on you, it's a shame it washes out so quickly! If only you lived nearer me, I have a couple of semi permanents left I could redo your stripes with!

    I really like your fringe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually surprised that the color is pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! It is a good product for a temporary solution

      Delete
  3. Your hair looks pretty cool! And good for you for doing your own hair, stuff what everyone else thinks about only having a hairdresser do it. I have never paid to have my hair done ever, my mum was a hairdresser when she was very young so she has always done my hair for me, and anything she doesn't do, I do myself, including my bangs when I actually had them. Its YOUR hair, you should do whatever you want with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have a mum for a hairdresser! I agree, its MY hair, I should do what I want with it

      Delete
  4. I find most hair dressers don't know how to do Bettie Bangs! But my hairdresser is very good at colour. I do my own colour because I'm cheap too! Ha. I use Vampire Red from Manic Panic. You look great in bangs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use Vampire Red too! I had red hair a couple of years ago. It was sucj a hard color to keep in and I remember buying this shampoo designed specifically for red hair. I think it was John Frieda or something. It helped! I think that color suits you!

      Delete
    2. thank you! Vampire red stays in well for me because I'm a natural redhead. Supposedly the red will stick better on redheads.

      Delete
  5. I like the blue - matches your eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color looked good, it's a shame it doesn't last. I just bought some hair chalks, but I don't think i'll be using them much!

    http://retro-electric.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a really cool colour. Too bad it washed out so quickly. I just bought a hair chalk yesterday, and was looking forward to trying it, but from your last line you don't look like you recommend them?
    I was unhappy with my bangs, so I'm trying to grow them out. Right now they are in that irritating in-between state where they are to long to be bags, but to short to blend in with the rest of my hair and keep standing straight out. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not too fond of hair chalks but you may like them! What I did with my bangs was comb to the side, roll them tightly and pin with bobby pins

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...