Monday, February 23, 2015

DIY Painting idea - welcome sign

I wanted to put up a welcoming sign in my front hall. I had a wave of inspiration this weekend. I went to my local dollar store and bought: a paint canvas (about $3.00), black acrylic paint (about $1.50) and a silver marker pen (about $1.50) That's right folks, the total project cost me under $10.00! I also bought extra brushes too.



This is the perfect project to do on a cold winter's day. While it was warmer this weekend, I got my son's cold (I am sick again, I know!) so this was an easy thing to do. I even got a canvas for my son to do his own project on, minus the acrylic paint. I won't make that mistake again! He got his own water based paints. Notice the box of cold meds on the table?




Now, I simply painted the entire canvas black and then hung it to dry. I was surprised that the thing dried rather quickly, I was planning on doing the rest the next day but ended up doing it all in the same day! 


Hanging to dry


What I liked about this project was when I made a spelling error and I totally screwed up drawing my bat. I just re-painted it all over again with my acrylic paint. I suggest buying two silver pens, mine was running out pretty fast. 

This is the end product:


Can you guess where this quote is from? Just in case it reads "...Welcome to my house. Come freely. Go safely; and leave something of the happiness you bring"

I am no artist, by all means but I felt like this guy at the end of my project:

I grew up watching his painting shows on TV! I had to add him in!


13 comments:

  1. Dracula says this to Jonathan Harker... I have that quote entering my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to dig for it but I thought I had a picture. We're so similar :) http://goth-gardening.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-long-work-week-and-reflection-of-what.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a really cool stand! Great minds think alike :)

      Delete
  3. So awesome!!! I'd love to have one of these and leave secret messages! :D It does not look to complicated to make too, thank you for sharing this! <3

    unknownprettylies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned out so cute!

    http://retro-electric.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's areally cool sign. I've been looking for a welcome sign and never found one to my likeing. Perhaps I will copy your idea, if I may?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you may! I hope you post your results too! I would love to see it! That is why I shared my idea!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea! I like that it was easy to paint over mistakes! I remembered the quote too, although I sure don't remember Jonathan leaving safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol he really did make quite an exit! I think that is why I love that quote so much.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...