Friday, February 20, 2015

A potential future gothling or paranormal investigator?

I am a horrible goth mom. I never took my son to the cemetery! This is going to change soon. Philip watches a lot of Scooby Doo and he is no stranger to the supernatural. If you remember or watch these cartoons, you know that the gang often hunts for clues in old houses and creepy graveyards.

I believe it was thanks to his love of Scooby Doo that a couple of days ago, out of nowhere, Philip asked me to take him to a  graveyard. He wanted to look at the tombstones. I was pleasantly surprised but told him that this is not the best time of the year to go to a cemetery. It is covered in snow and it is bloody cold out there. We are still in deep freeze weather, not my kind of temperature to go have a picnic or a nice stroll! He was mad because he wanted to go that very day,when it was dark out, no less. His reasoning? That is when all the ghosts come out!

image source:

This summer, I plan on taking him to my stomping ground; The Plateau! This trendy area in the city of Montreal is where all the cool shops (including the alternative ones) are at! Up the road, there is Mount Royal, rumoured to once be a volcano, although no longer active, it is also where a huge cross can be seen lighting up the night sky, overlooking the city. The mountain is also home to one of North America's first rural cemeteries, called Mount Royal Cemetery,how original, eh? There is actually another adjacent cemetery called Notre Dame Des Neiges. This was once to divide between the Protestant and Catholic burials.

I figured let's make his first trip to a local cemetery one to remember! I am not going to take him to the little dinky local cemetery up the road, I am going to take him to the huge one!

Not only that, taking him to Mont Royal is a great idea for a full day outing. The mountain has parks a lake, and lots of forestry. There is even a chalet on top of the mountain that overlooks the whole city and the view is spectacular.

After talking about the cemetery, he asked me about zombies. Naturally, I mentioned the Montreal Zombie Walk. I think taking him at this age would be a little too frightening for him but I definitely plan on taking him with me in a few years. He says that Zombies are cool and would love to pretend to be one for the day! 

In the meantime, I am sure the visit to the cemetery will be the highlight of the trip for him but I can't help but wonder what I have unleashed?

Image source

image source - view of the city from the look out on top of the mountain.

10 comments:

  1. Aww, a Paranormal expert in the making!

    I love cemeteries, and can't wait for your deep freeze to end, so I can see pics of your adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am looking forward to warm weather, this has been one of our coldest winters on record!

      Delete
  2. Cute but best to remind him that just like in Scooby Doo, the ghosts and monsters are usually men in masks! I couldn't remember any names specifically so then I went digging and ended up in a rabbit hole :-/ But found this :p http://scoobydoo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_monsters_and_villains

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool thank you for the list! He does know that they are usually just people in masks but he likes to pretend that there are real ghosts LOL For a while, he had an imaginary friend called "the scary ghost". It was fun trying to explain the one to the daycare :)

      Delete
  3. That sounds great. When I was a kid I always loved an old cemetery on a hill we would drive past, although I don't think I ever told my parents, probably knowing they would not approve. I have still never been to that particular one, it is very hard to get to, up a steep hill off a narrow road where people drive too fast. I have been to a Pere Lachaise though! And an old one in the city. I would like to have more picnics etc in cemetries, as long as I do not offend others. I like the idea of giving the dead some company, which was much more popular in the past. They apparently even had cows and markets in the cemetries in medevil days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I never knew those facts! Thanks for commenting :) I hope one day you can get to visit or even better, you can come to Montreal and visit Mount Royal with me!

      Delete
  4. awww its great ;)
    Great Post. Lovely Blog. Really loving your blog.
    I am following your blog. Hope you will follow back. xxx Keep in touch
    My blog new post is here for bloggers free stuff (clothes, jewelry etc) must visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I am going to visit. Glad to hear you are liking my blog

      Delete
  5. Your kid is ultra cute. :D This was a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...