Monday, January 26, 2015

Silly Random Thought Of The Day: The 2015 Pop Music Scourge and how I barely survived!

Before I begin, the point of this post is not to offend anyone. I am just stating my personal preferences, in a humorous way, and how I have a very large aversion to pop music. That is all.

I guess you can say this story all began when I was nursing the mother of all migraines all weekend long. The migraine kept coming back with a vengeance and it was a real nasty one. I am feeling somewhat better today so I decided to come to work instead of taking a day off. I did not overexert myself or anything so it was nice calming day. Another bonus, the phones were quiet too.

Right before lunch, I got hit by a wave of nausea and some slight head pain. I was able to drive so I decided to head out to the closest store (Walmart) for some Ginger-ale and fruit. I figured the fresh, crisp winter air might also help and make me feel better.

I was not hungry but decided a fruit smoothie and some fruit would be good for me. I did not eat breakfast due the nausea and I did not want to go all day without something in my stomach (which I think was causing my headache). I browsed a couple of aisles and picked up a few random things we need for the house as well.

Now keep in mind, my personal music preferences. I cannot tolerate pop, rap,country or hip hop music. The majority of my tastes range from (Trad goth, EBM/Darkwave - yes I like the Oontz Oontz music!, New Wave, Industrial, Classical, Punk, Metal, Classic Rock, Celtic) so listening to pop music is not something I would do. Ever.

There are times, where I do not have a choice and am stuck listening to cheesy pop music like in a store (no headphones) or at the doctor's office.  Today was one of them. The Backstreet Boys came on while I was shopping and I actually caught myself singing a long with them. I was so amused by this that I even put up a silly Facebook status telling people to spray me with holy water! The lyrics are pretty repetitive so I was not surprised I knew them, but still, I must of been more sick than I originally thought I was to sing to that kind of crap!  I blared my music in my car on the way back to work so I can free myself from the taint of the Pop Music Scourge.


The verdict, no I am not a fan.  No I will not listen to it again unless I was forced too. The last time I enjoyed pop music, I was 11 years old and totally tripped out over The New Kids On The Block. I had all the dolls, the tapes, the frigging bedsheets, posters, you name it!I was a huge fan-girl. Now let's not ever talk about this again!

All afternoon, I listened to my music at my desk (I love where I work, not many places allow the receptionist to do this!)  because I got that blasted song in my head. My dark little gothic soul needed saving.

So there you have it, Darklings. Today,  I lost some major goth cred. The secret Goth Cabal is going to come and revoke my membership card now! Thanks again Jillian Venters for that term!

I think the best thing I can write here is "I don't care who you are or where you're from. As long as you love me!" Hahaha!!!!

Now if you'll excuse me I have some Bauhaus to listen to

12 comments:

  1. Ah well, at least you ran with it instead of getting annoyed! I tend to get angry and the popularity of a lot of stars who are vacuous and bad examples of humanity, and get annoyed when I hear their music! My boyfriend put a chip in my phone so I can now listen to music, oh the bliss! It's not that my tastes are hugely Gother Than Thou, it's just pop, argh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have a dark pop music past. I loved, and still love 90's dance music (I've never liked boy bands though, I hated them with a passion), but what I absolutely adored growing up were grunge and alt rock bands. As a kid, I never talked about my tastes in music much. I felt embarrassed about it because none of my friends listened to that stuff. I always just sort of went along with whatever the other kids were listening too. I remember saying I liked the Spice Girls, but honestly, I hate hearing them now so much that I sort of question whether or not I actually did like them at some point or if it was all just talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember The Spice Girls. I remember when I was on a bus with my ex and we heard them playing on the radio. We could of sworn whenever they sang "I know what you want, what you really really want" if you listen closely in the background, we heard them saying "to fuck! to fuck" It was to the point that whenever we were somewhere in public that played that song, we would keep our ears open on purpose. We heard it every time!

      Delete
  3. Oh haha I can find myself in your words! I catch myself doing the same thing with songs from the 90's but only because I grew up listening to them eveeeerywhere! But nowadays pop music and rap whatever has become so awful that I doubt any individual with a brain and intellect can actually listen to that. The lyrics are crap, the music is crap; I do not understand how so many people like stuff like that!

    PS. I like ootns oonts music too! :D

    unknownprettylies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. *cough* I have a secret love of girly pop music. Well, not so secret any more! I think it started with The Bangles and Belinda Carlisle. I've even been to see Christina Aguilera (and she was amazing on stage even though the voice could shatter chandeliers, super retro circus theme), Girls Aloud (cheesy UK manufactured pop band, I danced all night!!), Katy Perry before she went mega famous (i.e. when she wrote insouciant, catchy pop songs, not the mass produced drivel she's doing now, she was cute and quirky then) and Kylie Minogue (diminutive Aussie pop princess, utterly mind boggling show, husband never lost eye contact with the stage). Mind, I never really liked the Spice Girls.

    I know it's mass produced pap. I still like it. I crank up a bit of J-Lo and Nicki Minaj to get me dancing round the kitchen (On the Floor and Turn Me On are highlights).

    My goth cred just went utterly down the pan! Honestly, I sometimes think I have a split personality...I'm equally as happy boogying on down to the Sisters and VNV Nation. I guess I am no barometer for taste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is healthy to have a diverse taste in music. To each their own!

      Delete
  5. Well, I like Adele....is she considered Pop? And I always loved Micheal Jackson-even as a gothy teenager when Bad and Black and White came out-the songs were very catchy! And Prince.
    Not a fan of Pop in general, though. I would listen to damn near anything else musically-with the listed exceptions haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I like Michael Jackson but the man had talent!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure I would call Adele pop, she's more a singer-song writer to me, like Paloma Faith and Ellie Goulding (though I can't stand Ellie's saccharin sweet voice, him underfoot loves it).

      Delete
  6. could be worse. could be at the grocery store and they're playing your favorite dark songs as Muzak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! One cool thing happened once. On Halloween I had to stop off at the mall. I was getting ready to hear muzak like they always play on the overhead speakers...except they didn't. They played Bela Lugosi's dead. I froze when I heard the opening bass line. They played the entire frigging song. I thought that was pretty cool!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...