Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Product review: The Legend of Candy Claws

Source:voltaire.net

This was one of the books I added on my Christmas list and I was not dissappointed. The book is written by Voltaire and Illustrated by Shamine King.

 I pre-ordered this book back in the fall and was quite happy that Voltaire worked his ass off to make sure we got it before Christmas. It arrived on the 22nd!

  Like always, the product did arrive undamaged and was well packaged.


I also really like how he focuses on customer service. Being daft, I forgot to delete my old address from my Paypal account. As soon as I received my confirmation, I noticed my error. I immediately e-mailed Voltaire about the situation. I mentioned that if it were easier for him to cancel the transaction and I re-do a new one with the correct address, I would be more than happy to. Turns out, all I had to do was e-mail him the correct one.

This isn't the first time he goes out of his way for his fans/buyers. Back when he did crowdfunding for his new Raised By Bats album and I made a purchase, he e-mailed me asking me to verify my address. By the name of my street, he thought I was in college and wanted to make sure the item wouldn't be delivered to some college dorm room in the middle of summer!

Aside from being a really great person to buy from, the product, the story itself is wonderful.The story is about a bat called Hargoyle who steals candy from all the bullies on Halloween and who then gives the stolen candy to the well behaved children on Christmas. I was entertained throughout and thought it was really cute. It is very well written and the illustrations are gorgeous.


I would advise to read this to older children, though. My son is four and he had a hard to time to sit through the entire story. It is a little long but he did enjoy it. He often talks about it!

Another thing that impressed me with the book was in the beginning, there was a dedication to Sophie Lancaster and to all those people who were bullied.  I thought it was a nice touch.


Thanks to reading this to my son, next year, we have to put out a big bat and a black stocking for Hargoyle. I think I am going to have to hide some of his Halloween candy or buy a special secret stash and hope I don't eat it by the time Christmas comes! My son got the overall message from the story and told me that "being mean to people is naughty."

Definitely a great story book with a wonderful message to read to your very own little baby bats. I highly recommend.

If you want to order, you can do so by clicking here!


13 comments:

  1. I met him at Fan Expo a few years ago. He signed my copy of What Is Goth? He was very nice with all his fans that were waiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky! I hear that a lot from people. The man has some excellent PR skills!

      Delete
  2. The pictures are lovely, but I have to say, I am most impressed by his personal service and thoughtfulness! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is really nice. Whenever I order from him, he usually handwrites your info on the enveloppe and draws a little bat on it. I really like that personal touch

      Delete
  3. This book looks adorable! I'm going to buy it for sure. I decided to mosey on over to his website and did you see that there was a plush!!! He's sold out but still maybe there will be a future Christmas miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I got the plush when he released his Raised By Bats album. He did crowdfunding and it came with it. The plush is freaking adorable!

      Delete
  4. He is such a nice man, was at the last Whitby Goth Weekend and spent ages talking to people, signing things etc. Really nice he dedicated the book to Sophie Lancaster, many of the bands at WGW do similar, and there's a huge fundraising effort there for the Foundation. My only bug bear was he came onstage after 12am, by which time we were long gone as we had to get back for the dog :(

    Actually, the first WGW weekend I went to he accidentally rolled over my feet with his suitcase in the Spa when he arrived in the afternoon! Very funny, genuinely nice man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you had to miss him. I missed him when he came to my hometown and when he went to Toronto. That is funny about the suitcase. he seems to be very funny and nice. You are very lucky you got to meet him. I bet he his a blast to hang around with!

      Delete
    2. arrgh. he is a blast to hang around with.... oops, I need more coffee lol

      Delete
  5. Seems like a very nice book :D And the dedication, so sweet <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so many good stories about mr Voltaire, he seems to be a very nice lad. The book looks amazing with a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a good review, it's great you reflected the ordering process too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...