Monday, January 19, 2015

My blogging style

In the past few months of blogging, I learned several techniques. Perhaps I will brush up on this post in a year or so but I got inspired now. In fact, I got inspired by complaining about my lack of inspiration! Then the magic happened. I am going to blog about blogging and how I sometimes find sparks of creativity in the most unsuspecting of places!

I keep a notebook in my desk drawer at work and write notes whenever I observe or my mind wanders to something interesting . Sometimes, I get busy and it is easier to type something out so I will email myself my ideas. Sometimes I use the voice recorder app thingy on my phone and make "notes". I hate the sound of my own voice. Ugh! Other times, I will be trying to figure out what I want to write and the most innocuous comment from the person I am talking to at the moment will ignite the spark of creativity, hence the blog post you are currently reading right now!

Sometimes I write posts in advance and come back to it fifty times. I edit and re-edit. I find my most successful posts were the ones I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears in so to speak.


I don't use one solid technique. I am organized in my chaos. I have always been that way. Even at work, my boss is constantly ragging on me because my desk is so messy. "Clients see that, you know. You shouldn't have so much clutter" she would say. So I would organize everything but in a few days, I have an "organized mess" once again.  I always tell people these are my "sylvie-isms" I don't have time to dwell on the trivial. My mind is constantly at work. This is why I trip over my own two feet!

I take notes everywhere. I even wrote on a napkin once. I unfolded it and wrote part of a post that sat in my draft folder for weeks. It eventually got published. Organized chaos!

Today, my poor draft folder is full of half written posts. Some of them will probably never be published.

I do not believe in writing something half assed for the sake of posting. I want my posts to mean something. I don't expect everyone to like or agree with every single little thing that I put up. I just don't like posting something that has no meaning.

Yes I do product reviews, I once put up a band I like (usually there is a cute back story) because I like reading those myself. Sometimes when I do a product review, someone would suggest something else and it would be super helpful!

So yeah, this is the result of my cluttered disorganized yet organized chaos! There is never a dull moment! 

10 comments:

  1. Hehehe, great post! I especially agree with the bit about only posting things that actually MEAN something. The other kind are just "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Who wants to waste time reading THAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I have some of my own ranty bitchy ones but those are probably going to be kept in my drafts. Sometimes I do go back and re-read and get inspired. I tweak it up or I do a whole new post that sounds less bitchy LOL Kinda like my Tribble one!

      Delete
  2. I only ever have one post on the go and when it's finished and published, only then do I start a new one. I wish I had a draft folder full of possible topics, but unfortunately my mind doesn't work that way! Good idea to write yourself emails - I'll think of something good to write about and then five minutes later ... POOF! It's gone. Probably something to do with my age. ;)

    I once worked with a guy whose desk was organized chaos, like yours. Once, when he was on vacation, I cleaned it up for a joke. I don't think he ever really forgave me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah I get mad at my boss when she cleans my desk too. I get her point though, I am a receptionist but if ever I do something else where I don't have a front desk to look after, I am probably going to leave it chaotic and actually put a note for people not to touch my stuff.

      Delete
  3. Im disorganised too!

    Don't look at me like that, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never do drafts, BUT I do keep a running log of topics that I want to get to in the future. That way I will always have the flexibility to explore stuff that catches my eye. I have things like Bat Fit planned out WELL in advance because it's really important to me to keep everyone involved and excited. Other things, like Homework Assignments, are usually the result of conversations or things I've seen in my day-to-day life. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to see how people have their different working styles LOL That sounds like a great way to do blog posts! I love reading your blog by the way. Congrats again Doctor Z!

      Delete
  5. Crap. I just walk to the computer and start typing... I should probably just close my blog :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL dont close it. We all have different ways of working.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...