Sunday, December 14, 2014

What does a singing tree, big hair and a Christmas party outfit have in common?

My mom keeps everything and it was no surprise she kept this singing Christmas tree she purchased well over 10 years ago. My mom is a little nuts and still is convinced that children would love this toy but it is not only annoying, it gives young children nightmares! It has sensors so whenever you walk by it or make a motion next to it, it goes off. It sings loudly, it's eyes blink and it has a mouth that moves.  For a while, my mom would collect these annoying Christmas trinkets. She has a moving Santa Clause and Mrs. Clause, a sleeping Santa in a bed that snores, you name it. The tackier, the better!

I want to eat your soul!

My son and I were visiting her a couple of weeks ago and out of curiosity, I asked her if she still had that tree. It seems like almost every kid in my family was scared shitless of it. I think my mom just likes scaring young children! One of my nephews, who was around my son's age at that time, ran away and hid! He kept telling us "eyes, eyes" and my mom had to put the tree away because it scared him so bad.

I was wondering whether or not my little one would be afraid of it, so perhaps I take a little after my mother, believe me dear readers, I am shuddering over that thought! On the other hand, the way I see it, my son is accustomed to seeing things you normally don't see in normal people's houses. By this, I mean cute decorations with the occasional skull or bat, maybe a few gargoyles, nothing that could potentially harm him later on. Perhaps this won't make me "Mom of the year" but my curiosity got the better of me.

His reaction? Turns out, my son was not afraid of the tree. Out of several children, including family members and neighborhood kids, he was the only one who liked it. He loved it so much, he would dance around whenever it would play. My mom offered to give it to us but we declined. We knew he would play the thing so often we would be tempted to throw it out the window by the end of the day. It was better left at Grandma's for him to play with it and drive her crazy over there! Besides, my mom should be happy. At least one kid likes that frigging thing!


Now for the big hair and party outfit. This is what I wore to my company's Christmas party. It was a lovely evening, although, I wasn't quite fond of the electronic dance music they played. I swear it had the same beat and rhythm all night! It was nice talking to co-workers out of the office although I wish I didn't have to yell while doing so.






11 comments:

  1. Your hair is lovely, very jealous, longing for longer hair again!

    Ha ha I love the tree story! Bet your mum is pleased there is finally one kid who likes the tree! Wonder how long it will be til she gets sick of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a little over a year of growth there.I am glad to hear you like the tree story. I wonder how long she will get sick of it too. I think she put it away for now and will only take it out when he goes there to visit LOL

      Delete
  2. Lol @ the nightmare Christmas tree. And I hear you about the terrible office party music... And the yelling. A group of us retreated to the hallway for some quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DJ had the music so loud it was heard clearly in the hallway. Pretty much everyone there had a good time so it was nice to see others enjoying themselves. I did sit with a group of people who play muscial instruments so it was nice to not feel like the only one who hated the music! You were lucky you were able to escape for some quiet time. I blasted Bauhaus in my car afterwards on my way home (I did not drink except for the one glass of wine before dinner) to get that oontz oontz out of my head! It was still a nice night nonetheless. Just wish the music wasnt so damned loud and repetitive. I think I am getting old LOL

      Delete
  3. (looks around embarrassed) Um, like your mom, I have one of those singing Christmas trees that I purchased maybe in 1998 (because he used to be on my answering machine during December... and maybe January :p ) Ha ha ha but I LOVE cheesy Christmas!

    You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right that Christmas tree is pretty creepy. But hey your son is well grounded enough that it doesn't affect him which is something to be proud of :D LOVE the big hair too. Big hair is so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right that Christmas tree is pretty creepy. But hey your son is well grounded enough that it doesn't affect him which is something to be proud of :D LOVE the big hair too. Big hair is so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mechanical singing toys get even scarier when the batteries run down. We have a santa that bops and sings, but now he sounds like his voice is coming from the bowels of hell. We could change the batteries, but that wouldn't be as funny!

    You look lovely, great hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I forgot about what they sound like when the batteries run down, that's hilarious! Thank you for the compliment

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...