Friday, December 19, 2014

Sylvie's sanity keepers

Working as a receptionist in the industry I am in this time of the year is insane. I work in fashion and we sell to retailers and also do e-commerce, so you can imagine the types of phone calls that come in!  I know I am not the only one who is going through chaos at the moment, which gives me some comfort.

 I am always tempted to eat chocolate, especially when I am crazy busy but I do limit my intake. A chocolate bar has tons of sugar and calories. I opted for the 50% cocoa or 80% cocoa variety. I eat two squares and I am happy. So delicious!Not as many calories as a regular chocolate bar! I also get my fix that way.

I drink tea. I listen to music ,in fact I posted about something similar here about music. I get up and walk around for five minutes. We have a room with a punching bag and I have used it in the past. I really need boxing gloves, damn, that thing hurt my hand!

I also call my husband and bitch to him about all the things that annoyed me that day and I tend to find humour in difficult situations. I once told my boss that I was "reeling from crisis to crisis like a drunken sailor".  If there is a difficult customer at reception or on the phone, I think about what Krampus would do to them! It keeps me smiling where in reality, there are times I really do want to stab myself with a dull object.

What are your office survival tips?





My messy drawer. Look! I got black folders/hanging folders! A nice coworker gave me those stickers because I love Hello Kitty. I often give them to the kids who walk in. I got my Magic Bag, which is now the communal Magic Bag because I lend it out to anyone who may need it. Buried underneath are boxes of different kinds of herbal tea.

10 comments:

  1. I too stash tea in my cabinets! I also keep a canister of 1-minute oatmeal. I use hot water from the coffee machine. I sort of try to walk around as much as I can, since sitting on my butt all day was doing things to my legs. But it's not enough...my legs still fall asleep like immediately and I still get these cramps. I think it's because I've got short little legs that don't reach the floor. I now do yoga and placed a box under my feet and that's sort of helped. sigh. We've got some people who have standing desks...but I used to work a job where I stood all day and THAT sucked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have that instant oatmeal too but I got so tired of it! I used to buy the Maple and Brown sugar one. It was great. Even for a receptionist, I do get up a lot to go get things or do things but when I notice I have been sitting for a while, I get up and walk around. It helps. Sometimes just getting away from the desk, it helps

      Delete
    2. Oh man. Yeah I'm tired of the oatmeal

      Delete
    3. lol I think in a few more months, I will buy it again. It is like a vicious cycle LOL

      Delete
  2. I mostly just like white chocolate, preferably Lindt or Raffaelo but I try not to eat it too much. A punching bag sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember in previous jobs, I always joked around about needing a punching bag. I remember my delight when I was shown that we do have a punching bag in a room. We do have a gym but there is not enough room for the punching bag so it is placed in our storage room. I always tell people to go in the room with the punching bag to get envelopes! I love the look on the newbies faces. They think I am nuts!

      Delete
  3. Working with people is both a blessing and a curse. Some days I am so happy that I get too see a lot of people and customers every day, but some days I want to hit them all in the face xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dark chocolate and orange is the best, there's a local brand here called North that is like human catnip! I may work from home now, but that and Earl Grey tea keep me sane 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Earl Grey. I enjoy a nice cup of that when I am reading a book! You are so lucky to work from home.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...