Monday, December 22, 2014

Silly random thought of the day: The Internet me or whatever that is

Since I started blogging this summer, someone made a comment that I not only found amusing but sort of insulting. The comment was along the lines of  "having an Internet personality."
 What does that mean, anyways? I just smiled, said "oh okay" and walked away. I didn't put much thought into it at first. To be honest, the whole term "Internet personality" kinda makes me laugh. It just sounds so corny! I did later tell the person I thought the term sounded corny, by the way. I just like to blog. If people read it, all the better!

Thanks to the person making that comment, I really did start to ponder the meaning of "Internet personality" It sounds fake.Perhaps, I put a little too much thought into being insulted and perhaps taken that remark out of context, it makes me think about how many fake people there are and how insulting it feels that someone tried to include me in their number! I don't play a goth on the Internet or post about a fictional family. I am married with a kid, in real life. I like to post about being involved in a subculture while being a working parent at the same time. I post about other things too because I think it is healthy to have outside interests.I am not a one dimensional person!

I blog because it is fun, I love to write, I need a past time to keep me sane and keep my mind occupied. It is easy to do. Hell I am blogging right now in my pyjamas! I don't need to go anywhere!

That being said, the person gave me the impression I have fun "playing on the Internet"  Well, duh! Who doesn't have fun "playing on the Internet" with unlimited information, videos, multimedia at your fingertips?


Source

I got the impression that I write fiction or I tell stories. Yes, I do sometimes tell a good tale but these are actual events that have happened to me in my life. If I make people question something, ponder, or even think "bah, this chick bores the living daylights out of me" so be it! I have done my job! I like to help people and if I can give advice or useful tips along the way, why not? Hell, if I need advice on something, I know I can blog post about it and get answers on the subject! If I can make someone laugh by being silly, why not? If I can just give a good old fashion rant too, why not? Life is too short to be serious all the time.

What you read is what you get. I may not always write about every little single thing that has happened to me because let's face it, that would be boring. My life isn't that exciting. I do write about the little moments that inspired me because those moments count the most. Even this one here! Who knew a reverse witch burning would be so fun to write about! These moments are what makes life worth living. I do not pretend to be someone else, I write about my life because I often find humour during the difficult times and if I can make others laugh along with me, why not?



"Little things used to mean so much to Shelly- I used to think they were kind of trivial. Believe me, nothing is trivial." - Eric Draven, The Crow

17 comments:

  1. lol is this person new to the internet? has this person never seen a magazine? writing for a specific audience calls for a specific voice. the publisher of that content gets to decide that audience and voice. I don't even understand what this person is complaining about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I tried to figure it out too. Oh well, isn't it fun being "internet personalities"?

      Delete
  2. Hmm a thought provoking comment indeed! In this day and age it is very easy to fake it on the internet. You can live a whole other life that nobody knows about, and be something you're not and never get found out. I think to an extent most people have some form of internet personality especially through social media, with instagram and photo filters making people's lives look alot more interesting and lovely than they actually are. We just have to remember to keep it real I suppose and not run away with ourselves ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! If I really wanted to be a different person, I wouldn't be blogging about being a receptionist. I would be living in a mansion with my man servants and post about shopping everyday downtown while driving in my BMW! LOL

      Delete
  3. Maybe the person was trying to say that you are like a TV "personality", only on the Internet? Like Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart, which actually WOULD be a compliment! And that would make sense, because people mention you or your blog in their blogs, and things that you mention or start, like contests, get spread around pretty quickly. So perhaps you really are an "Internet personality", but it's a good thing! :-)

    And I LOVE that pic, by the way, I carry a laminated copy in my purse, just in case I need to present my "Goth Card" credentials to anyone, hehehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a pretty valid point you have there, Lucretia. I didn't see it from that angle, I guess I am too absorbed in my little bubble here! Just like what I posted, perhaps it is me taking it out of context. This person just has a natural tendency to be catty and bitter about things so I guess it was my first inclination to take it as such. I think the term internet personalisty sounds cheezy but I am going to take it as a compliment. It was nice though to be inspired to post about it. That is pretty cool you carry that card around LOL

      Delete
    2. Different angles, that's the key! :-) And if the person is normally catty and sarcastic, no wonder you assumed, I probably would have, too. And I agree, the term does sound kind of cheesy, but fun in a way, too! Now you have a "license" to use it any way you like and get away with things, "Sorry, dahlink, I was wearing my Internet personality, you know!" ;-)

      Delete
  4. BAH! There are plenty of blogger out there, me included, who show our REAL selves in our writing and our blog. Perhaps that person is jaded and bitter? You keep showing your real self ... it's the best thing to do because it's a whole lot more interesting that creating an "internet self."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the person has a tendency to be jaded and bitter. If I were to create an "Internet self" I would make it that much better. I wouldn't be a receptionist, I would be a millionaire or something LOL

      Delete
  5. A coworker once said to me with some surprise, "I read your blog. It sounds just like you." My mental response was "Well, of course it does." But I guess the expectation that I'd have an online personality was not an unrealistic one, really, considering how many people glamorize their online lives. I prefer blogs from people who write about their lives more realistically. I read blogs to connect with people, not to find someone to idolize or envy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! well said. I love reading your blog by the way

      Delete
  6. I did have it pointed out to me that on FB I am relentlessly cheerful and a bit frock obsessed. The word used by this particular person (relatively soon deleted) was 'vapid'. I have to admit it stung, but my FB basically is just a stream of happy nonsense and friend pics because close relatives and friends have access and frankly I don't want to worry them. I put the worrying stuff in my blog. Even then I have a tendency to censor myself, as some posts I mark as private. So I suspect in my case I do have an 'internet' personality. I find it easier to express myself through writing than I've ever done verbally, so who is to say which is the true me? I think they're all aspects of me, just a bit fractured. I certainly wouldn't want to mislead people as to who I am. And now my head hurts.....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes get catty or negative on FB then people point that out. There is no win, win. The person is the type she tells EVERYONE her business (I am sure lots of it is censored) and expects everyone to tell her EVERYTHING personal that is going on in their lives. She is a gossip who would then tell everyone else. She is a coworker so not someone I can avoid easily. I do too find it easier to express myself in writting vs verbally. I think it is healthy to not have to divulge every little detail and besides, even if I did, it would be rather boring LOL I much rather be positive online anyways.

      Delete
    2. There's a line in a Tori Amos song 'Maybe she's just pieces of me you've never seen'. Think that's me!

      Delete
  7. After reading this post and all comments I am starting to think that your suspicion that this person did not mean "internet personality" as a compliment is probably right. I find it rather funny that it is used in an insulting way. Now, the posts you make are not indeed anyway exaggerated and this person knows you in real life, they know that you really have a family and a job as a receptionist. Yes, you make decision what you post but that is also what happens in face-to-face communication too: Nobody tells *absolutely everything* of their lives to their friends. Not the person who said those things to you, not anybody. Communication is always a conscious activity, people communicate those things that are valid in that particular situation, they can not show *every aspect of themselves* all the time. :D

    Besides, who can say that another person's personality (aka. communication) in a different situation is somehow a less valid personality? Especially if this person knows the other one from work and encounters them again in some hobby like blogging? I'm pretty sure that blogging especially is a way to express oneself, way much more than a workplace is.

    Happy Holidays to you, Sylvie! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that person is rather "special" and has this stupid vendetta against me. I suspect it is because I am younger and probably more attractive. I know it sounds vain but she has a tendency to do it to alot of people. She is a coworker and she does it to all the women who are attractive. It is sad. I didn't really want to publish that all over my blog either. I honestly doubt she reads my blog, she just overheard me telling someone else that I like to write and blog. Oh well. It is not really my problem. I dont have any ill feelings towards her. In a lot of ways, her saying that silly remark has enabled me to be inspired and write a blog post. Judging by all these comments, it got people to think! Something really cool came out of that remark. Whether it was in a negative context or not, I will never really know, I much rather look at it as a compliment. Besides, even if I were to confront her, I doubt I would get an honest explanation and be told that I am taking it the wrong way or that I am being over sensitive or something. I always hold the belief, unless someone comes right out and tells me they have a beef with me, it really isn't my problem! Happy Holidays to you too, Jade! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...